Wendy

Default Looked today ( Boat Choices)

"Rich Hampel" wrote in message
The Tayana and the CL-P36 have almost identical base numbers, although
the TY37 is a bit faster (hull speed).

(very good stuff snipped)

Thanks loads! That's the sort of information it is nice to have, yet it
isn't readily apparent.

I'm with you on the booze weight

Wendy

Ken Heaton

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
doug, it is a Cheoy Lee.

JAXAshby, what are you saying here, I don't understand. Are you saying it
is a good boat because it's a Cheoy Lee?Are Doug's numbers wrong? They're
what's listed in the specs for the boat in the listing. It was built in
Taiwan, right? Sorry, I may be missing something obvious.
--
Ken Heaton & Anne Tobin
Cape Breton Island, Canada

I always like to window-shop and look over
other people's shoulders. Does the cabinet around the motor come
completely apart? If not, the engine access doesn't look too good to me.
The genset access looks terrible. Also, you've heard the stories about
teak decks, especially taiwan teak decks... "Danger Will Rogers!"

One point I don't know if anybody else has mentioned-
ballast/displacement ratio. If this boat's *sailing* displacement (which
is a different figure from it's weight as it left the factory, a figure
often quoted as 'displacement') is really 16K# then it's b/d ratio is a
tad under 40%... close to the minimum for a seagoing boat IMHO. And if
the displacement figure is fudged, as they often are, then it is in a
grey area. Furthermore the stability will be degraded as you load stores
(true of almost any boat, but much less important as the B/D ratio gets
up towards 50%). Rather a nit-picky technical issue, but one that is
important.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

JAXAshby

I strongly
suspect that the same principle applies to nautical design and operation.

except that aero engineers are seriously trained before let loose. naval
architects are, for most all states, just people who claim to be naval
architects.

Badly designed airplanes never get on the runway, let alone airborne. Badly
designed boats that float are boats that float. I have seen people who claim
to be highly qualified naval architects claim that the "slot" between an
overlapping jib and the main _increases_ lift, something no aero eng on the
planet would say of a biwing aircraft.

JAXAshby

Rich, a Tayana 37 is a nice boat. I would love to have one myself. Yet, if I
were going to deliberately go out "in harm's way" (rather than being ordinarily
prudent) I might be inclined to look at a Van de Stadt 36 or a Dix 36 (in
plywood, because that is both stroner and lighter).

Again, a Tayana 37 is a niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice boat.
Know anyone with a T-37 that needs about 400 hours of TLC cleanup and who is in
deep financial trouble, a wife/mistress/mortgage all a month overdue? Let me
know. [grin]

I suspect Wendy is now aiming a tad more towards a nice cruising boat than a
serious, knock-em-on-your-ass roughwater voyager which seemed to be the aim
earlier in this thread.

Boat fell off trailer bb General 31 January 27th 04 09:22 PM
4th FL trip report, shorter, this time! Skip Gundlach Cruising 40 January 14th 04 09:19 PM
I need your advice for a new boat Kharlosan Cruising 24 November 19th 03 09:27 AM
Interesting boat ride...... Gould 0738 General 21 October 21st 03 02:00 AM
Sailor's tattoo, must be married too long, Wooden Boat Festival Gould 0738 General 2 September 10th 03 06:38 PM