Lloyd Sumpter

Default Opening the RR Bridge at Second Narrows

Hi,

New engine is coming this weekend! (YAY!) Tides kinda suck in 2 weeks when
Far Cove will be ready to go out. (boo!) She's at Lynnwood Marina, and there's 5
miles of "inner harbour" to get through before open water.

I'd like to go "the other way" and explore Indian Arm, but there's a railroad
bridge in the way. Does anyone know the proper procedure for asking for it to be
opened? Do you just honk your horn? Is there a VHF channel I can call?

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Denny Sawyer

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message

I'd like to go "the other way" and explore Indian Arm, but there's a

railroad
bridge in the way. Does anyone know the proper procedure for asking for it

to be
opened? Do you just honk your horn? Is there a VHF channel I can call?

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Lloyd:

One place to look is Sailing Directions Vol.1 16th Ed.
p186 Para. 429-434.

In short, Vancouver Traffic and the bridge monitor Channel 12. Call the
bridge "CJU52" as you approach and tell them you will signal with 3
prolonged blasts. The bridge will acknowledge. Minimum clearance under the
raised span is 46m. Stay a quarter mile off until the bridge is fully
raised.

.... and this from a power boater who can go under in the lowered position

ds

Jack Dale

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 07:22:47 -0800, "Lloyd Sumpter"
wrote:

Hi,

New engine is coming this weekend! (YAY!) Tides kinda suck in 2 weeks when
Far Cove will be ready to go out. (boo!) She's at Lynnwood Marina, and there's 5
miles of "inner harbour" to get through before open water.

I'd like to go "the other way" and explore Indian Arm, but there's a railroad
bridge in the way. Does anyone know the proper procedure for asking for it to be
opened? Do you just honk your horn? Is there a VHF channel I can call?

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Lloyd

I have passed through here once about 10 years ago.

I check the current Radio Aids to Marine Navigation

http://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/mcts-sctm/r...fic/part_2.pdf

It indicates channel 12.

Jack

Jack Dale
Swiftsure Sailing Academy
Director/ISPA and CYA Instructor
http://www.swiftsuresailing.com
Phone: 1 (877) 470-SAIL (toll free)

Charles T. Low

Lloyd,

Not meaning to rain on parade, but if you're scheduled to be up and
functional in two weeks when the tides are bad, won't they be long gone by
the time you're up and functional?

Or is this that rare project that really will go on schedule?

(Congrats, though - must be good to be getting on with it.)

====

Charles T. Low
- remove "UN"
www.boatdocking.com
www.ctlow.ca/Trojan26 - my boat

====

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
Hi,

New engine is coming this weekend! (YAY!) Tides kinda suck in 2 weeks

when
Far Cove will be ready to go out. (boo!) She's at Lynnwood Marina, and

there's 5
miles of "inner harbour" to get through before open water.

I'd like to go "the other way" and explore Indian Arm, but there's a

railroad
bridge in the way. Does anyone know the proper procedure for asking for it

to be
opened? Do you just honk your horn? Is there a VHF channel I can call?

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Peter Bennett

wrote:

Hi,

New engine is coming this weekend! (YAY!) Tides kinda suck in 2 weeks when
Far Cove will be ready to go out. (boo!) She's at Lynnwood Marina, and there's 5
miles of "inner harbour" to get through before open water.

I'd like to go "the other way" and explore Indian Arm, but there's a railroad
bridge in the way. Does anyone know the proper procedure for asking for it to be
opened? Do you just honk your horn? Is there a VHF channel I can call?

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Both Vancouver Vessel Traffic and the Second Narrows Bridge use
Channel 12. Call the bridge on 12 to request a lift.

You should monitor 12 for some time before you intend to go under the
bridge, to see what other traffic may be planning a transit. There
are often oil tankers passing through, and they require a "clear
narrows" - all vessels must remain clear while the tanker is in the
narrows.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb (at) interchange.ubc.ca

Lloyd Sumpter

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 11:24:49 +0000, Peter Bennett wrote:

[...]

Good point, Peter.

Also, it they're opening the bridge for someone else, I can probably sneak
thought before or after - save them closing and opening it.

Lloyd