Default Just wonder ..

wrote in message

No, a kayak.

On Dec 4, 4:24 am, Paul Cassel
wrote:
Capt. JG wrote:

Heh... I guess it depends on the ratio of good-looking women to me.

The last long trip started on a 48 and ended up a 38. Only two women
and
four guys... not a good ratio.

How did your boat shorten by 10 feet? Hit an iceberg?

huh?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Steve wrote:
"Sir Thomas of Cannondale" wrote in message

It's hard to know beforehand what might set people off.

People who didn't read the Web site about the purpose of the trip may be
one thing which sets folks off.

I was impressed by the 1000-day sail until I saw the size of the boat. I
can't imagine they wouldn't be able to cram enough dehydrated food on it for
two people to live on for 33 months provided they have an ample supply of
fresh water. I had thought they would eat seaweed and fresh fish each day.
As it stands, the real trial will be suppressing the urge to kill each other
after the first couple of months.

1. There is nothing in his plan preventing him from being re-provisioned
by dink from a supplier ashore. He is afloat - not isolated. He has a
radio and probably all sorts of contacts ashore. He obvious had email
and Web access unless he's posting his blog by majicks.
2. Among the various ideas he's trying is a garden aboard.
3. His experiment is similar to those guys living in the biospheres
underground in AZ except his scenery changes.

Sir Thomas of Cannondale wrote:
1. There is nothing in his plan preventing him from being re-provisioned
by dink from a supplier ashore. He is afloat - not isolated. He has a
radio and probably all sorts of contacts ashore. He obvious had email and
Web access unless he's posting his blog by majicks.
2. Among the various ideas he's trying is a garden aboard.
3. His experiment is similar to those guys living in the biospheres
underground in AZ except his scenery changes.

He will need soil, and water for the garden. Did he bring this with him,
the soil?
There was an article about growing vegetables onboard in one of the boating
mags,
worked but took up lots of room.

Every time I think of this guy never touching land, I'm thinking ... not me.

[[

Yes. His plan (I'm unsure if he did it) was to establish a garden in the
bows before setting off.

Richard Casady wrote:

Supplies are not an issue. Bumboats exist.

He has a girl aboard so he doesn't need his bum serviced by boats.

Richard Casady wrote:

Either way, the guy is clearly nuts.

Yeah, why? He has Internet, fresh food, a g.f. and a nice boat to float
around on. What exactly is he missing by not being ashore? Traffic jams?

I was wondering if I accidentally did any acid in the '60's, but I can't
remember the '60's.

Was the 60's disco ? Noo... oh,,

That's the problem with giving up alcohol and buying a sailboat..

You can never remember what it is that you are trying to forget that made
you go out and get a boat.

Yesterday I ... ??

****, I've already forgotten.

==========================
"Evan Gatehouse" wrote in message
Ernest Scribbler wrote:
"Paul Cassel" wrote
There is nothing in his plan preventing him from being re-provisioned by
dink from a supplier ashore.

What do you make of this? (sounds to me like reprovisioning is against
the rules)

http://1000days.net/home/images/stor...inglepages.pdf
"The object of the voyage is to leave the land and all support, sail for
1,000 days, non-stop at sea without receiving help, to live at sea, to be
healthy, to send back good messages and have the whole world follow the
voyage and understand the importance of it and then we'll be back sailing
back into New York City after 1,000 Days." - Capt. Reid Stowe

I thought this was interesting: Fifteen days out he knocked his bowsprit
off on a stray freighter.
http://1000days.net/home/index.php?o...17&Item id=70

He's a total clown. His typical speed is "drifting". Even in 15 knots of
wind the boat does 2 - 3 knots. He was cleaning the bottom of the boat
with a snow shovel. Who takes off on a 1000 day voyage with really bad
antifouling?

Reading his blog posting you get the sense he did way too much acid in the
60's.

Evan Gatehouse

"Evan Gatehouse" wrote
He's a total clown.

Maybe so, but he's out on a boat drifting around with his girlfriend, and
I'm sitting in a cubicle replying to a total stranger on usenet...

More than you ever wanted to know about Reid Stowe, his companion and his
adventure can be found at
http://www.sailinganarchy.com/forums...howtopic=52463

Please take some sense of humour pills before reading. There are some
fairly compulsive people in the world.

"Sir Thomas of Cannondale" wrote in message
What ever happened to the sailor, Reid Stowe, who was planning to spend
1,000 days sailing without stopping.

I found this old story about his trip ::

"At the appointed hour sometime this winter, when the tides are right and
his resolve is firmly locked in, Stowe will ease his 70-foot schooner,
Anne, out of its modest berth, sandwiched between a floating restaurant
and the basketball courts of New York City's Chelsea Piers. He'll set sail
down the last lick of the Hudson River, past the Statue of Liberty, and
barrel his way into the North Atlantic and, he hopes, the record books.
........"

If he left in spring of 2006, he will be to the 730 day mark this spring
.. that is lots of time onboard!

Anyway,, is he still out and about or was this another nut case story.