Default Just wonder ..

What ever happened to the sailor, Reid Stowe, who was planning to spend
1,000 days sailing without stopping.

I found this old story about his trip ::

"At the appointed hour sometime this winter, when the tides are right and
his resolve is firmly locked in, Stowe will ease his 70-foot schooner, Anne,
out of its modest berth, sandwiched between a floating restaurant and the
basketball courts of New York City's Chelsea Piers. He'll set sail down the
last lick of the Hudson River, past the Statue of Liberty, and barrel his
way into the North Atlantic and, he hopes, the record books. ........"

If he left in spring of 2006, he will be to the 730 day mark this spring ..
that is lots of time onboard!

Anyway,, is he still out and about or was this another nut case story.

I took a look at the blog.. it showed him sailing and working onboard.

I guess what I'm getting at is or has he stopped at all. The old story I
read said he would not stop.

Of course, he does have his little crewmate to keep him busy.

================================================== ===============================
"Paul Cassel" wrote in message
Sir Thomas of Cannondale wrote:
What ever happened to the sailor, Reid Stowe, who was planning to spend
1,000 days sailing without stopping.

Completely impossible to determine his fate!!! Unless you read his blog
with an entry dated yesterday!!!!

http://1000daysatsea.blogspot.com/

geeze....and you heap abuse on Hubbard.

Sir,

Since he still has his blog up and is keeping it current I'd bet that he
is about 224 days into his quest. I'm not sure how he defines sailing. If he
takes down his sails in a storm is he sailing? If he ties up to a supply
vessel is he sailing? Certainly folks throughout the ages have lived in
houseboats so I presume he's doing more than just floating.

Dave M.

If I were him, I'd define sailing as anchoring in some deserted lagoon, Then
I would dive overboard with my
little playmate ..

But.. I'm not trying to impress anyone, I just want to enjoy what time I
have on earth

"David L. Martel" wrote in message
Sir,

Since he still has his blog up and is keeping it current I'd bet that he
is about 224 days into his quest. I'm not sure how he defines sailing. If
he takes down his sails in a storm is he sailing? If he ties up to a
supply vessel is he sailing? Certainly folks throughout the ages have
lived in houseboats so I presume he's doing more than just floating.

Dave M.

"David L. Martel" wrote
I'm not sure how he defines sailing.

I'm not sure it matters. I believe the stated goal is simply to remain at
sea for 1000 days without ever pulling into port or resupplying.

"Paul Cassel" wrote in message
. ..
Sir Thomas of Cannondale wrote:
I took a look at the blog.. it showed him sailing and working onboard.

I guess what I'm getting at is or has he stopped at all. The old story I
read said he would not stop.

Of course, he does have his little crewmate to keep him busy.

Not true. He is emulating being in space (he says right there). Thus he
has to not touch land personally or tie up to a fixed dock. He can spend
the entire time anchored and still meet his goals.

Time you got laid. You seem to be overwhelmed by the idea that a man and a
woman are sailing together. Hot flash there buddy - I've sailed with a
female myself!

So he's not the first nor is it worth all that fuss which it seems to be
stirring up in you.

Paul in the Castle..

1,000 days in the same house or on the same boat with the same woman? Are
you nuts!

Hello?

Wait.. a thought.. does the lady friend get to go to shore?

Maybe that is what he does, send her on errands.

I'm not overwhelmed by much of anything at this stage of life. Good for
you, you have a female crewmate.. Whoopee.

I only wanted to know if the guy was actually doing what he posted that he
planned on doing ..

Ya think I stepped on a land mine or something ..

As for "fuss".. 1,000 days. Think about it, that is a long time to float
around.

It would not be something I'd do, that is for sure. I wouldn't mind sailing
off to a nice warm bay somewhere so I could avoid
the snow storm which is about to start.

"Sir Thomas of Cannondale" wrote in message

[...]

It's hard to know beforehand what might set people off.

I was impressed by the 1000-day sail until I saw the size of the boat. I
can't imagine they wouldn't be able to cram enough dehydrated food on it for
two people to live on for 33 months provided they have an ample supply of
fresh water. I had thought they would eat seaweed and fresh fish each day.
As it stands, the real trial will be suppressing the urge to kill each other
after the first couple of months.

"Steve" wrote in message
. net...

[...]

Rule of thumb... a boat gets a foot shorter per day.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com