Parallax

Default Inflatable radar reflector

I never posted this Useless Idea because I thouhgt it was a good one.
I was about to file the provisional patent application till I did a
check on the USPTO website and found I am 4 yrs too late.

So........

Most radar refelctors are a pain in the ass, especially the most
effective ones, the corner refelctor ones. Some are preassembled and
are a pain to store. The one I have consists of 3 interlocking
metallized foam sheets that has to be assembled. Then, they have to
be mounted in the "catch rain" position which is difficult sometimes.

I wanted to make an inflatable one, sort of like a beach ball with the
three orthogonal planes made from metallized thin plastic on the
inside of the beachball. It would be weighted so it always hung in
the right position. I bet I could make these for $1.00 and sell them
for $20.00. Unfortunately, somebody beat me to it, it was patented in
2000.

Now, I want one but will not take the trouble to make it since it may
already exist. Anybody know where to get something like this?
Jim

Why does everyone think they need a radar and a radar reflector?

People sailed for many years without them. I still do.

I have a 50 mile radar on my trawler because it was installed by a
former owner. Personally, I can't imagine why I would want to turn it on.

Leave the reflector down below until you are in limited visibility then
put it up. Keep your eyes open.

Parallax wrote:

[...]

Jack Dale

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 03:44:26 GMT, Jim wrote:

Why does everyone think they need a radar and a radar reflector?

People sailed for many years without them. I still do.

I have a 50 mile radar on my trawler because it was installed by a
former owner. Personally, I can't imagine why I would want to turn it on.

Colregs may require that you do.

Rule 5

Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight as
well as by hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in
the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full
appraisal of the situation and of the risk of collision.

Rule 6 (b) has an effect on safe speed, if you have radar.

Rule 7 b) Proper use shall be made of radar equipment if fitted and
operational, including long-range scanning to obtain early warning of
risk of collision and radar plotting or equivalent systematic
observation of detected objects.

and on and on ....

Leave the reflector down below until you are in limited visibility then
put it up. Keep your eyes open.

There are other reflectors that are less cumbersome, e.g., some
cylinders that are easier to install and leave in place.

Jack

Jack Dale
Swiftsure Sailing Academy
Director/ISPA and CYA Instructor
http://www.swiftsuresailing.com
Phone: 1 (877) 470-SAIL (toll free)

Armond Perretta

Jim wrote:

Why does everyone think they need a radar and a radar reflector?

Because they actually work? Because they sometimes save your boat? To look
cool? I suppose there are additional reason, but munch on these for a
while.

People sailed for many years without them ...

Same goes for EPIRBs, life rafts, VHFs, and autopilots. However all of the
people you refer to are dead now, so we can't ask them what they'd actually
prefer today.

... I still do.

Where, how often, and how far?

I have a 50 mile radar on my trawler because it was installed by a
former owner. Personally, I can't imagine why I would want to turn
it on.

Here are some suggestions: collision avoidance, additional position
confirmation, another pair of "eyes," skill development. If all else fails
the heat from the CRT might keep the pilothouse cozy and warm.

Leave the reflector down below until you are in limited visibility
then put it up ...

In other words, radar reflectors are useless, until you need them. Got it.
Please advise this newsgroup each time you plan to leave the slip. In
advance.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Bobsprit

Why does everyone think they need a radar and a radar reflector?

People sailed for many years without them. I still do.

Yeah, and screw those silly airbags and seatbelts!!! The windshield will
cushion the blow...or maybe it didn't.

RB

David Balfour

http://www.landfallnavigation.com/sem230i.html

They are quite good in terms of RCS, but be careful not to inflate them too
much or the reflector will split from the beach ball, degrading performance.

David

"Parallax" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Aftermarket Radar Arch or Mounting kgruskin General 2 June 13th 04 03:29 AM
Raytheon radar demo Evan Gatehouse Boat Building 4 May 9th 04 07:45 PM
Radar vs GPS/Sounder Lloyd Sumpter Cruising 98 December 23rd 03 11:42 AM
Radar reflector Parallax Cruising 4 October 16th 03 04:10 AM
Vessel detectors - radar visibility of your own vessel john s. Cruising 16 August 27th 03 12:53 AM