Armond Perretta

Default Inflatable radar reflector

Jim wrote:

Why does everyone think they need a radar and a radar reflector?

Because they actually work? Because they sometimes save your boat? To look
cool? I suppose there are additional reason, but munch on these for a
while.

People sailed for many years without them ...

Same goes for EPIRBs, life rafts, VHFs, and autopilots. However all of the
people you refer to are dead now, so we can't ask them what they'd actually
prefer today.

... I still do.

Where, how often, and how far?

I have a 50 mile radar on my trawler because it was installed by a
former owner. Personally, I can't imagine why I would want to turn
it on.

Here are some suggestions: collision avoidance, additional position
confirmation, another pair of "eyes," skill development. If all else fails
the heat from the CRT might keep the pilothouse cozy and warm.

Leave the reflector down below until you are in limited visibility
then put it up ...

In other words, radar reflectors are useless, until you need them. Got it.
Please advise this newsgroup each time you plan to leave the slip. In
advance.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat