David Balfour

Default Inflatable radar reflector

http://www.landfallnavigation.com/sem230i.html

They are quite good in terms of RCS, but be careful not to inflate them too
much or the reflector will split from the beach ball, degrading performance.

David

"Parallax" wrote in message
om...
I never posted this Useless Idea because I thouhgt it was a good one.
I was about to file the provisional patent application till I did a
check on the USPTO website and found I am 4 yrs too late.

So........

Most radar refelctors are a pain in the ass, especially the most
effective ones, the corner refelctor ones. Some are preassembled and
are a pain to store. The one I have consists of 3 interlocking
metallized foam sheets that has to be assembled. Then, they have to
be mounted in the "catch rain" position which is difficult sometimes.

I wanted to make an inflatable one, sort of like a beach ball with the
three orthogonal planes made from metallized thin plastic on the
inside of the beachball. It would be weighted so it always hung in
the right position. I bet I could make these for $1.00 and sell them
for $20.00. Unfortunately, somebody beat me to it, it was patented in
2000.

Now, I want one but will not take the trouble to make it since it may
already exist. Anybody know where to get something like this?

Dave Teece

I wonder what the wind does to one of these? I know the metal ones
aren't streamlined like this but at least they have a bit more weight to
stay put. This inflated bag looks like it would like to just sail away.

"Parallax" wrote in message
[...]

nospam

The guy who wrote telling you to keep your eyes open and to forget all
about radar and radar reflectors might have had a point. I'll tell
you why.

Some years back I was on a small, luxury passenger ship crossing the
Atlantic from England to the U.S. I became friendly with the captain
and was invited to the wheelhouse. This, I'm sure couldn't happen
today due to our Islamic friends and 9-11 and their jihad, but it
happened then and when I was there observing the deck officer plotting
the position of rather heavy traffic as we were crossing the Grand
Banks I noted that he seemed to ignore all the small blips.

When I inquired about this his response was: "They're just small
fishing boats. They'll get out of our way." I wonder how prevalent
this attitude is. Hell, if it hadn't been a passenger ship I was on I
doubt anyone would even be looking at the radar let alone worrying
about the small blip even the best reflector could provide. Food for
thought??

Joe

nospam

[...]

Aftermarket Radar Arch or Mounting kgruskin General 2 June 13th 04 03:29 AM
Raytheon radar demo Evan Gatehouse Boat Building 4 May 9th 04 07:45 PM
Radar vs GPS/Sounder Lloyd Sumpter Cruising 98 December 23rd 03 11:42 AM
Radar reflector Parallax Cruising 4 October 16th 03 04:10 AM
Vessel detectors - radar visibility of your own vessel john s. Cruising 16 August 27th 03 12:53 AM