nospam

Default Inflatable radar reflector

The guy who wrote telling you to keep your eyes open and to forget all
about radar and radar reflectors might have had a point. I'll tell
you why.

Some years back I was on a small, luxury passenger ship crossing the
Atlantic from England to the U.S. I became friendly with the captain
and was invited to the wheelhouse. This, I'm sure couldn't happen
today due to our Islamic friends and 9-11 and their jihad, but it
happened then and when I was there observing the deck officer plotting
the position of rather heavy traffic as we were crossing the Grand
Banks I noted that he seemed to ignore all the small blips.

When I inquired about this his response was: "They're just small
fishing boats. They'll get out of our way." I wonder how prevalent
this attitude is. Hell, if it hadn't been a passenger ship I was on I
doubt anyone would even be looking at the radar let alone worrying
about the small blip even the best reflector could provide. Food for
thought??

Joe