Jim

Default Inflatable radar reflector

Why does everyone think they need a radar and a radar reflector?

People sailed for many years without them. I still do.

I have a 50 mile radar on my trawler because it was installed by a
former owner. Personally, I can't imagine why I would want to turn it on.

Leave the reflector down below until you are in limited visibility then
put it up. Keep your eyes open.

Parallax wrote:

I never posted this Useless Idea because I thouhgt it was a good one.
I was about to file the provisional patent application till I did a
check on the USPTO website and found I am 4 yrs too late.

So........

Most radar refelctors are a pain in the ass, especially the most
effective ones, the corner refelctor ones. Some are preassembled and
are a pain to store. The one I have consists of 3 interlocking
metallized foam sheets that has to be assembled. Then, they have to
be mounted in the "catch rain" position which is difficult sometimes.

I wanted to make an inflatable one, sort of like a beach ball with the
three orthogonal planes made from metallized thin plastic on the
inside of the beachball. It would be weighted so it always hung in
the right position. I bet I could make these for $1.00 and sell them
for $20.00. Unfortunately, somebody beat me to it, it was patented in
2000.

Now, I want one but will not take the trouble to make it since it may
already exist. Anybody know where to get something like this?