Default November 12th - Becalmed, bothered and bewildered (another riff on another song) and other last-ditch efforts

Geoff Schultz wrote:

Skip,

I don't know which NOAA forecasts you keep talking about, but unless you're
looking at the coastal forecasts, what you see over weatherfax is for off-
shore and can't be applied to the ICW or along the coast.

When I do the weather for the Chesapeake using NOAA (which certainly
DOES apply to that area), I often find that their forecasts are wrong,
either in wind direction or wind intensity and sometimes both.

The thing that you have to do it to really understand what the
forecasts are based on, and that takes a bit of time. In the
beginning even though I had the advantage of having been a science
teacher where I taught middle school students about the weather, I
made lots of mistakes.

In our case, I was the one doing the planning for weather (leaving
running the boat systems to Bob).

When we were in the Bahamas, there was a weather net each morning -
one for the ham radio people, and then one for the rest of us. Each
person reported in listing all the parameters currently at their
station - cloud type, percent cloud cover, wind direction, wind speed,
gusts, temperature (air and water), barometer reading and movement,
etc. I would write down what each person said, and eventually started
giving my own reports. I was able to follow the fronts across the
area by listening to what people were reporting.

I found that listening to Herb's forecasts (and you have to listen to
whatever he says to everyone and have a map - either in your head or
in front of you - to 'get' why he is saying will happen and why)
helped me quite a bit. He gets the forecasts from the various
entities and makes his own assessment of what is going to happen. He's
VERY good about predicting, and when he disagrees with what the models
are saying, he's usually right.

I developed IMHO a good grasp of what weather systems were actually
likely to do. And I'm really interested in the weather and think
about it quite a bit - even when I'm not on the boat.

So now when I listen to the NOAA forecast, I listen ALSO to the
weather observations from around the area with a map in my head as to
what the wind etc actually IS at all the points around me on the map.
I listen or look at such other information as I have available, such
as the Weather Channel on TV and the local TV weather and web based
weather systems. Then I make my own decisions about what I think will
happen.

Skip just needs more experience at the weather thing.

I'm just hoping that the little throw-away phrase is more something
about money rather than health.

I checked his log and he was having some trouble with Portia [I think that
is a dog]

This could be a pet problem. Or,, he may be asking the eternal question
::::
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?

================================================== ==============================

"Bob" wrote in message
On Nov 16, 1:24 pm, "Roger Long" wrote:
Skip,

I, for one, did not miss that single chilling phrase buried in your post.
It sounds like the specter that haunts all of us who hope to do things
like
cruise extensively. I hope it works out and I will be thinking of you
until
I hear more.

--
Roger Long

Hi Roger:

Are you refering to Skips comment below:

"... The last week has been very difficult, and I'm still trying to
come to grips with it
all; my life is irretrievably changed. I just don't know by how
much, yet...."

What do you think: giving up the boat or giving up Lydia?

Bob

Bob Bob is offline

On Nov 17, 9:30 am, "Sir Thomas of Cannondale"
wrote:
I checked his log and he was having some trouble with Portia [I think that
is a dog]

This could be a pet problem. Or,, he may be asking the eternal question

Hi:

Maybe we should just ask Skip........................

Hey Skip, What did you mean by that comment everyone is speculating
about?

bob

On 2007-11-18 05:23:15 -0500, Paul Cassel
said:

I missed your point of what's bothering you. It was too subtle for me.

and because you included nothing of what you were responding to, I have
zero clue about what you're talking about though I'm paying close
attention to this thread as Skip's a friend.

PLEASE include enough of what you're responding to so that others can
figure out what you're talking about.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

I missed your point of what's bothering you. It was too subtle for me.

. ..
On 2007-11-18 05:23:15 -0500, Paul Cassel
said:

I missed your point of what's bothering you. It was too subtle for me.

and because you included nothing of what you were responding to, I have
zero clue about what you're talking about though I'm paying close
attention to this thread as Skip's a friend.

PLEASE include enough of what you're responding to so that others can
figure out what you're talking about.

The TITLE of this thread says he's bothered about something. What is he
bothered about?

Clear enough?

He is bothered because he knows he's a joke and a failure. A circus
sideshow/freakshow combined. He claims he suffers from depression and seems
to think it is an abnormal situation. Face it, anybody as inept as he has
shown himself to be would be crazy if he WAS NOT depressed.

Wilbur Hubbard

Thanks to all to whom the thanks would be obviously directed. The rest
of you can go **** yourselves (Bob, you're not among them, but now you
know what it takes to get me to say that).

For any of those who may actually have an interest in what's
happening rather than just wasting bandwidth on the local ****wit's
issues, Lydia has given me direction (much more than permission) to
talk about it. I'll do so - if I think there's any sincerity (my
apologies to those who I already know are, indeed) in the
communication - to all who care to correspond with me offlist. And,
as I'm not really given to melodrama, it will take me a little while
to compose my thoughts so they don't take orders of magnitude more
space than my usual postings here, so please forgive me if you've
already made this contact and I've not yet come back to you.

I don't think my information is hidden, as I've gotten some private
mail on the subject, but in case there's any doubt, you can find me at
skipgundlach at gmail.com.

We now return you to your regular programming.

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
Follow us at http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog and/or

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its
hands. You seek problems because you need their gifts."
(Richard Bach, in The Reluctant Messiah)

anews.com...

On 2007-11-18 05:23:15 -0500, Paul Cassel
said:

I missed your point of what's bothering you. It was too subtle for me.

and because you included nothing of what you were responding to, I have
zero clue about what you're talking about though I'm paying close
attention to this thread as Skip's a friend.

PLEASE include enough of what you're responding to so that others can
figure out what you're talking about.

The TITLE of this thread says he's bothered about something. What is he
bothered about?

Clear enough?

He is bothered because he knows he's a joke and a failure. A circus
sideshow/freakshow combined. He claims he suffers from depression and
seems to think it is an abnormal situation. Face it, anybody as inept as
he has shown himself to be would be crazy if he WAS NOT depressed.

Wilbur Hubbard

Right, there's the caring, community minded attitude that we love in our
fellow cruisers. What an arrogant response Wilbur.

Glenn.

Bob Bob is offline

On Nov 19, 6:05 pm, "Glenn \(s/v Seawing\)"
wrote:
"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
Wilbur Hubbard

Give Willl burr a break. He is in a world of hurt. This place is
cheeper than therapy.

sO HET WILBUR, WHAT YA GOT TO SAY TO ME/
Ch ur ahhh
bob