Bryan

Default Longest Dead Calm (or Becalmed) Sailing Experience?

I've never experienced an absence of wind where I didn't have an auxilliary
(sp?), you know, a motor, to fall back on; I've only read of the scenario.

What is the longest dead calm you've experienced? Were you relaxed, you
know, calm, about it? How long did it take before it started to get to you,
if at all?

If not you, what is the longest dead calm our sailing author's have
experienced and lived to tell?

Gary

Bryan wrote:
I've never experienced an absence of wind where I didn't have an auxilliary
(sp?), you know, a motor, to fall back on; I've only read of the scenario.

What is the longest dead calm you've experienced? Were you relaxed, you
know, calm, about it? How long did it take before it started to get to you,
if at all?

If not you, what is the longest dead calm our sailing author's have
experienced and lived to tell?

I once experienced 4 days of almost dead calm in a Vic-Maui race. We
got too close to the centre of the high pressure. For those days we
covered about 25-30 miles a day. It was sweltering hot and we were
misersable.
Bryan

"Gary" wrote in message
Bryan wrote:
I've never experienced an absence of wind where I didn't have an
auxilliary (sp?), you know, a motor, to fall back on; I've only read of
the scenario.

What is the longest dead calm you've experienced? Were you relaxed, you
know, calm, about it? How long did it take before it started to get to
you, if at all?

If not you, what is the longest dead calm our sailing author's have
experienced and lived to tell?

I once experienced 4 days of almost dead calm in a Vic-Maui race. We got
too close to the centre of the high pressure. For those days we covered
about 25-30 miles a day. It was sweltering hot and we were misersable.

Hard to say if you would have still been miserable if you hadn't been racing
and it hadn't been sweltering hot. Did you ever doubt you would find wind
again?

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 05:23:11 GMT, "Bryan"
wrote:

I've never experienced an absence of wind where I didn't have an auxilliary
(sp?), you know, a motor, to fall back on; I've only read of the scenario.

What is the longest dead calm you've experienced? Were you relaxed, you
know, calm, about it? How long did it take before it started to get to you,
if at all?

If not you, what is the longest dead calm our sailing author's have
experienced and lived to tell?

We were returning a Vic Maui boat in 2000. Prior to departure we were
waitng for the rudder to be repaired and were watching the weather -
especially the Pacific high. At one point the high stretched from
Oregon to Japan. Rather than sailing to Japan and tacking, we decided
to power through the high. We lashed 20 five gallon jerry cans to the
stanchions.

Once we hit the high we fired up the iron genny and made a bee line
for the mouth of Juan de Fuca. After about two days of powering, we
about in the middle of the high when we hit a piece of fishing net
about 4 feet by 5 feet. Needless to say the engine came to an abrupt
halt.

After removing the net, we fired up the engine and heard a horrendous
clattter. We thought we had damaged the engine. When you have food
in a freezer and depend on a water maker, this was a disaster. Turns
out it was the transmission.

We wallowed about for about three days trying to get any little puff
of wind. One night about 0200, I was quite depressed and sat in the
salon asking my self what I doing there. I then smacked myself around
a little after I realized I was there, and my job was to get out of
there.

I will never forget being on the helm when I felt the Westerlies as a
small breeze on my cheek. I called for the gennaker which filled
nicely as it came out of the dousing bag. We were off for home.

To add insult to injury we were becalmed again at the entrance to
Juan de Fuca for a day and a half. We eventually got into Port
Renfrew where our skipper wife had an RIB with a good sized engine.
The two of them sailed and towed the boat up to Sidney for repairs.

To those who say that offshore sailing is long periods of tedium
punctuated by episodes of terror, I can add despondency as another
emotion.

After all that I am ready to give it another. Anyone loooking for a
watch captain?

Jack

Jack Dale
ISPA Yachtmaster Offshore Instructor
CYA Advanced Cruising Instructor
Director, Swiftsure Sailing Academy
http://www.swiftsuresailing.com
Gary

Bryan wrote:

I've never experienced an absence of wind where I didn't have an
auxilliary (sp?), you know, a motor, to fall back on; I've only read of
the scenario.

What is the longest dead calm you've experienced? Were you relaxed, you
know, calm, about it? How long did it take before it started to get to
you, if at all?

If not you, what is the longest dead calm our sailing author's have
experienced and lived to tell?

I once experienced 4 days of almost dead calm in a Vic-Maui race. We got
too close to the centre of the high pressure. For those days we covered
about 25-30 miles a day. It was sweltering hot and we were misersable.

Hard to say if you would have still been miserable if you hadn't been racing
and it hadn't been sweltering hot. Did you ever doubt you would find wind
again?

We knew it was an anomalie. The high had moved very close to the coast
in an unusual pattern. There was wind all around us. What made us
miserable was that our wives were in Hawaii and waiting for us. We were
so late getting there that they had all flown home. The trip that
normal takes 12 - 15 days took us 21! We ran out of food at 18 and we
were reduced to slim fixin's.

Gary

wrote:

[...]

That was the Vic-Maui that my predecessor won in Oriole. The wind going
was great that year as I understand it.
Did you do the race? (I didn't)
Bryan

"Gary" wrote in message

Bryan wrote:

[...]

Were you starting to worry or did knowing that you could call for help keep
the idea of starving to death in check?

Gary

Bryan wrote:
"Gary" wrote in message

We knew it was an anomalie. The high had moved very close to the coast in
an unusual pattern. There was wind all around us. What made us miserable
was that our wives were in Hawaii and waiting for us. We were so late
getting there that they had all flown home. The trip that normal takes
12 - 15 days took us 21! We ran out of food at 18 and we were reduced to
slim fixin's.

Were you starting to worry or did knowing that you could call for help keep
the idea of starving to death in check?

No worry, we had stuff to eat but no real food. We had a big bag of
flour and lots of jam and peanut butter. We just had no meat, rice,
bread or any of the normal stuff.

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 16:09:25 GMT, Gary wrote:

Jack Dale
ISPA Yachtmaster Offshore Instructor
CYA Advanced Cruising Instructor
Director, Swiftsure Sailing Academy
http://www.swiftsuresailing.com

That was the Vic-Maui that my predecessor won in Oriole. The wind going
was great that year as I understand it.
Did you do the race? (I didn't)

Did not do the race - just a 21 day and 90 minute delivery from
Honolulu to Port Renfrew.

I would like to do the race. Last year I turned down an position as
an instructor on the Van Isle 360.
Gary

_______________________________________________ ___
Jack Dale
ISPA Yachtmaster Offshore Instructor
CYA Advanced Cruising Instructor
Director, Swiftsure Sailing Academy
http://www.swiftsuresailing.com
_______________________________________________ ___

That was the Vic-Maui that my predecessor won in Oriole. The wind going
was great that year as I understand it.
Did you do the race? (I didn't)

Did not do the race - just a 21 day and 90 minute delivery from
Honolulu to Port Renfrew.

I would like to do the race. Last year I turned down an position as
an instructor on the Van Isle 360.

I've done the last two Van-Isle 360s. It is a great race but it has
been discovered and the sleds and rock stars are showing up now. It
really is a great idea for a race, like the Tour de France, yacht style.

What boat wanted you?