Parallax

Default CDI Furlers

"Henry" wrote in message news:atdOb.147373$X%5.128760@pd7tw2no...
Yes indeed I have a comment.

No, no, no

I bought CDI furling. The foil comes rolled up. After unrolling, it spent 3
weeks fastened in a straight line on the dock so that "The sun can warm it"

It was still like a snake. The manufacturer's advice was to get it mounted
on the forestay and it would straighten out quickly.
Three more weeks, lots amusing comments from passers-by, the thing was still
twisted.

It went back to the dealer who ordered a replacement. This time the dealer
would unroll it to make sure it was done properly! He had the new one on
his floor for two weeks and that one was also like a snake.

It all went back to CDI, I bought Harken and lived happy ever after.

For what it was, the CDI was grossly overpriced. It was crudely made and
had no bearings.

The Harken was not a lot more expensive.

Henry

I also bought a CDI furler and uncoiled the foil without problem. I
then coiled it up again, then uncoiled it again and coiled it again
(dont' ask why). The trick in all this was to coil it a little at a
time and use the fibreglass strapping tape. It does want to recoil
itself but this isn't a real problem. No problem getting it on the
forestay either. The bearings are a strongly reccomended option, I
got them. It works very well. I have taken it off again to do work
on the mast. No problem.
Steve

If you think you've got problems with 'squirrelly' furler foil.. Try dealing
with -22 (3/8"dia) rod rigging after it's been in a 6 ft dia coil..

The rigging loft has special machine just to straighten it out, but then how
to transport it to the boat once the fittings are installed and the ends are
headed. Gotta coil it back up again..

The worst problem is with the slight bend at the ends. You need to keep
considerable over tension on the rigging for months to get it to straighten
out.. Vary hard on attachment fittins and mast step. I'm still not satisfied
with the sight curve at the ends. Hopefully they it will straighten under
load cycling..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Rosalie B.

Default CSYs on the ICW was CDI Furlers

x-no-archive:yes

You can also find individual
examples of people who chain smoked non-filter Camels for 70 years and didn't
get lung cancer.

My father's theory on cancer (he did cancer research) was that
whatever the weakest system a particular person was - that's where you
would get cancer if you were going to get cancer.

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 00:53:59 GMT, Rosalie B. wrote:

wrote:

We have a CDI furler which we installed ourselves for the staysail.
We got it and let it relax in the driveway in the sun for a couple of
days (in the summer) and then rolled it up the other way and took it
down to the boat and laid it out on deck for a couple of days, and
then put in on but without the sail. It does still have a slight bend
in it, but you have to look closely to see it. It was not hard to
install, except that Bob let go of the end and it snapped back and hit
him in the lip.

Rosalie,

Here's a website I think you might enjoy:

http://www.sailcontessa.com

It's a cruising couple with a CSY 44 WT who have just retired this year, and are
currently cruising south from Connecticut for the winter.

enjoy!

Thank you for reminding me - I hadn't been to their web page in
awhile.

They were in Tidewater the day after we were there (and probably in
the same slip). We met them in the Alligator River Marina and I would
not be surprised (although it is difficult to see for sure) if we
aren't the boat ahead of them at the 168 (Fairfield) fixed bridge
picture in the Alligator Pungo canal. They passed us about then.

They stayed in Belhaven longer than we did, but caught up to us again
in Oriental, and again in Myrtle Beach, but haven't seen them since.

We left Dock Holiday's the day before they did and were in Charleston
by Nov 14th. We stayed there a week visiting our son, and then went
outside to the St. Mary's River. We got to Jacksonville by November
24th and they didn't get there until Dec 5th. We were in Daytona
right after Thanksgiving (Nov 28-29) and they didn't get there until
Dec 11th. We went outside from Ft. Pierce to Miami on Dec 4-5. By
December 15th we were all the way down to Marathon after we spent a
week in Miami visiting #2 daughter, and we've been here since.

grandma Rosalie
http://www12.virtualtourist.com/m/4a9c6/

no one cares

I also seriously considered a CDI furler for my Morgan 30. After a
lot of searching, and discussions about what I use the boat for, I
determined I did not need bearings. That being the case, I opted for
the following furler:
http://www.alignement.com/simplicite/
made in Canada, even less expensive than the CDI, and from the
directions, appears much easier to put on.
I will see, I have taken delivery, will install in the spring.

On 17 Jan 2004 14:41:25 GMT, (Baybyter) wrote:

Friend of mine wants to replace his furler and has been thinking of the CDI F9.
The rigging company he plans to use has discouraged him about this product,
stating "you get what you pay for" indicating that CDI does not make a quality
product. They also stated that it takes a lot of hours to install as they have
to lay out the plastic foil and get the "set" out it from being curled in
shipment.

Anyone out there with a CDI furler care to comment on the quality of this
product and its ease, or lack of thereof, of installation?

Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes

wrote:

[...]

Actually they passed us before the canal (I see on looking at my
notes) so that can't be us. But they've used two of my pictures. I
gave them permission to use the one of them underway motoring. The
other picture is from the VT website where I posted a picture of a
shrimp boat.