Parallax

Default CDI Furlers

"Henry" wrote in message news:atdOb.147373$X%5.128760@pd7tw2no...
Yes indeed I have a comment.

No, no, no

I bought CDI furling. The foil comes rolled up. After unrolling, it spent 3
weeks fastened in a straight line on the dock so that "The sun can warm it"

It was still like a snake. The manufacturer's advice was to get it mounted
on the forestay and it would straighten out quickly.
Three more weeks, lots amusing comments from passers-by, the thing was still
twisted.

It went back to the dealer who ordered a replacement. This time the dealer
would unroll it to make sure it was done properly! He had the new one on
his floor for two weeks and that one was also like a snake.

It all went back to CDI, I bought Harken and lived happy ever after.

For what it was, the CDI was grossly overpriced. It was crudely made and
had no bearings.

The Harken was not a lot more expensive.

Henry

I also bought a CDI furler and uncoiled the foil without problem. I
then coiled it up again, then uncoiled it again and coiled it again
(dont' ask why). The trick in all this was to coil it a little at a
time and use the fibreglass strapping tape. It does want to recoil
itself but this isn't a real problem. No problem getting it on the
forestay either. The bearings are a strongly reccomended option, I
got them. It works very well. I have taken it off again to do work
on the mast. No problem.