Baybyter

Default CDI Furlers

Friend of mine wants to replace his furler and has been thinking of the CDI F9.
The rigging company he plans to use has discouraged him about this product,
stating "you get what you pay for" indicating that CDI does not make a quality
product. They also stated that it takes a lot of hours to install as they have
to lay out the plastic foil and get the "set" out it from being curled in
shipment.

Anyone out there with a CDI furler care to comment on the quality of this
product and its ease, or lack of thereof, of installation?
Henry

Yes indeed I have a comment.

No, no, no

I bought CDI furling. The foil comes rolled up. After unrolling, it spent 3
weeks fastened in a straight line on the dock so that "The sun can warm it"

It was still like a snake. The manufacturer's advice was to get it mounted
on the forestay and it would straighten out quickly.
Three more weeks, lots amusing comments from passers-by, the thing was still
twisted.

It went back to the dealer who ordered a replacement. This time the dealer
would unroll it to make sure it was done properly! He had the new one on
his floor for two weeks and that one was also like a snake.

It all went back to CDI, I bought Harken and lived happy ever after.

For what it was, the CDI was grossly overpriced. It was crudely made and
had no bearings.

The Harken was not a lot more expensive.

Henry

DSK

Baybyter wrote:

Friend of mine wants to replace his furler and has been thinking of the CDI
F9.

That's their biggest one, isn't it?

The rigging company he plans to use has discouraged him about this product,
stating "you get what you pay for" indicating that CDI does not make a quality

product. They also stated that it takes a lot of hours to install as they
have
to lay out the plastic foil and get the "set" out it from being curled in
shipment.

Anyone out there with a CDI furler care to comment on the quality of this
product and its ease, or lack of thereof, of installation?

We have one of their smaller units and have used it for about nine years. It's
great.

Henry wrote:

Yes indeed I have a comment.

No, no, no

I bought CDI furling. The foil comes rolled up. After unrolling, it spent 3
weeks fastened in a straight line on the dock so that "The sun can warm it"

It was still like a snake. The manufacturer's advice was to get it mounted
on the forestay and it would straighten out quickly.
Three more weeks, lots amusing comments from passers-by, the thing was still
twisted.

We took ours and reversed the coil for a short while (couple days) and then
stretched it out straight. It's still not perfect, but it's close enough to not
cause any comment.

It went back to the dealer who ordered a replacement. This time the dealer
would unroll it to make sure it was done properly! He had the new one on
his floor for two weeks and that one was also like a snake.

It all went back to CDI, I bought Harken and lived happy ever after.

For what it was, the CDI was grossly overpriced. It was crudely made and
had no bearings.

But it's the cheapest one on the market. I think this is why a lot of people buy
it. The lack of bearings is one reason why, as much as I like ours, I'd hesitate
to recomment one for a bigger boat.

At least they stand behind their guarantee. Seems like a lot of comapnies lately
don't.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes wrote:

On 17 Jan 2004 14:41:25 GMT,
(Baybyter) wrote:

Friend of mine wants to replace his furler and has been thinking of the CDI F9.
The rigging company he plans to use has discouraged him about this product,
stating "you get what you pay for" indicating that CDI does not make a quality
product. They also stated that it takes a lot of hours to install as they have
to lay out the plastic foil and get the "set" out it from being curled in
shipment.

Anyone out there with a CDI furler care to comment on the quality of this
product and its ease, or lack of thereof, of installation?

Your friend is going to have to change either his choice of Hardware, or his
choice of rigger. Any problems with a furler he advised against installing in
the first place, and the rigger will be able to walk away from it. I would
advise changing the furler. It's roughly the same amount of labor to install a
CDI as a Harken, so the rigger has nothing to gain by favoring one over the
other except knowing which hardware is less trouble over time. He's trying to
help you. Let him. I'm sure you can find individual people who have used a CDI
furler and had an okay experience, but I don't know anyone with a lot of
experience that would choose CDI over Harken. You can also find individual
examples of people who chain smoked non-filter Camels for 70 years and didn't
get lung cancer.

We have a CDI furler which we installed ourselves for the staysail.
We got it and let it relax in the driveway in the sun for a couple of
days (in the summer) and then rolled it up the other way and took it
down to the boat and laid it out on deck for a couple of days, and
then put in on but without the sail. It does still have a slight bend
in it, but you have to look closely to see it. It was not hard to
install, except that Bob let go of the end and it snapped back and hit
him in the lip.

grandma Rosalie

S/V RosalieAnn, Leonardtown, MD
CSY 44 WO #156
http://home.mindspring.com/~gmbeasley/id2.html

Parallax

"Henry" wrote in message news:atdOb.147373$X%5.128760@pd7tw2no...
[...]

I also bought a CDI furler and uncoiled the foil without problem. I
then coiled it up again, then uncoiled it again and coiled it again
(dont' ask why). The trick in all this was to coil it a little at a
time and use the fibreglass strapping tape. It does want to recoil
itself but this isn't a real problem. No problem getting it on the
forestay either. The bearings are a strongly reccomended option, I
got them. It works very well. I have taken it off again to do work
on the mast. No problem.