Rosalie B.

Default CDI Furlers

x-no-archive:yes wrote:

On 17 Jan 2004 14:41:25 GMT,
(Baybyter) wrote:

Friend of mine wants to replace his furler and has been thinking of the CDI F9.
The rigging company he plans to use has discouraged him about this product,
stating "you get what you pay for" indicating that CDI does not make a quality
product. They also stated that it takes a lot of hours to install as they have
to lay out the plastic foil and get the "set" out it from being curled in
shipment.

Anyone out there with a CDI furler care to comment on the quality of this
product and its ease, or lack of thereof, of installation?

Your friend is going to have to change either his choice of Hardware, or his
choice of rigger. Any problems with a furler he advised against installing in
the first place, and the rigger will be able to walk away from it. I would
advise changing the furler. It's roughly the same amount of labor to install a
CDI as a Harken, so the rigger has nothing to gain by favoring one over the
other except knowing which hardware is less trouble over time. He's trying to
help you. Let him. I'm sure you can find individual people who have used a CDI
furler and had an okay experience, but I don't know anyone with a lot of
experience that would choose CDI over Harken. You can also find individual
examples of people who chain smoked non-filter Camels for 70 years and didn't
get lung cancer.

We have a CDI furler which we installed ourselves for the staysail.
We got it and let it relax in the driveway in the sun for a couple of
days (in the summer) and then rolled it up the other way and took it
down to the boat and laid it out on deck for a couple of days, and
then put in on but without the sail. It does still have a slight bend
in it, but you have to look closely to see it. It was not hard to
install, except that Bob let go of the end and it snapped back and hit
him in the lip.

grandma Rosalie

S/V RosalieAnn, Leonardtown, MD
CSY 44 WO #156