Default Power boaters and their wakes

"Bruce in Alaska" wrote in message
snip..
I routinly complain, to the Comander of USCG District 17 Communications
Operations, about USCG conducting Flight OPs Communications with their
Helio's on Channel 16, rather than switching to their Assigned Working
Channel of 21A. The first time, I got a nice letter stating, "That
the USCG was not Governed by the FCC Rules for Radio Operations."
Then I made an appointment with the Commander, and upon meeting him,
showed my credentials, as the local FCC Field Agent, and reminded him,
that Maritime Radio Communications was an International Convention,
and the United States, WAS Signitory to that Convention, and his
Oganization, was a part of the Department of Transportsation (at that
time, now a part of Homeland Security) and therfore WAS Required, by
said International Convention, to not conduct Flight OPs Traffic on
Marine Channel 16, UNLESS that Flight, was Designated a "Search & Rescue"
Flight, AND Flight OPs Traffic could not be passed by any other means.

The Commander did a little research, and I got a very nice letter from
him with a CC to all CommStations in USCG District 17, ammending the
Policy of conducting Comms on Marine Channel 16, so as to be in
compliance with the IMO's Convention. I also got a nice letter from
FCC Hq.

Seems like every time USCG District 17 gets a new Communications Officer,
they go back to their "Old Habits", and I have to remind them of their
responcibility.......

Bruce in alaska

Outstanding. Nice to see someone go head to head with a gov't dept and
'win'.

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 19:29:46 GMT, Bruce in Alaska
wrote:

In article ,
Wayne.B wrote:

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 07:29:36 -0500, "Armond Perretta"
wrote:

Unfortunately this abuses 16, so I don't often mention my boat name, just
something like "small white sailboat 400 yards on your bow," etc.

As long as you are calling someone and keep it brief, there is no
abuse of 16. You can also switch to low power which will limit the
range to a couple of miles.

Well you may not see it as "Abuse", However, by International Convention
(International Maritime Organization, or IMO, an appendige of the United
Nations) Marine Channel 16, IS a Calling and Distress Channel ONLY.....

One mans "Abuse", may be anothers, "Little White Lie"......

The reason that I don't consider that particular example to be abuse
of 16, is because it is a call to another boat (permitted), that
contains a few brief words of other information. Since there is no
prolonged exchange over multiple transmissions, it is hard to construe
that as abuse except possibly in a narrow technical sense. Ideally
that kind of "bridge-to-bridge" transmission would take place at low
power on channel 13 but many pleasure boats do not monitor 13. The
only time that we monitor 13 is in harbors with a lot of commercial
traffic.

wrote:

Unfortunately this abuses 16, so I don't often mention my boat name,
just something like "small white sailboat 400 yards on your bow,"
etc.

As long as you are calling someone and keep it brief, there is no
abuse of 16. You can also switch to low power which will limit the
range to a couple of miles.

VHF 16 is a hailing and distress frequency. Of course hailing _could_ mean
"short conversation," but I don't subscribe to that school. However
practicalities do enter into the discussion, and in many cases, especially
with commercial traffic, exchanges on 16 take place and simplify matters.
In the general case, vessels are required to exchange navigational and
traffic information on VHF 13, but not too many pleasure vessels do so on
that channel.

Another aspect is that geography enters in. In New York Harbor just about
all nav and piloting info runs on VHF 13. Along the Georgia ICW just about
all nav and piloting info runs over 16. Meanwhile the VHF rules and
guidelines do not differentiate geographically.

Offshore I have found that in general there is usually no need to converse
on 16 after hailing, and most commercial traffic moves to 13 or another
working frequency to exchange information. In Maine, lobster fishermen, if
responding at all, usually run on 68 or similar and 16 is not involved.

It is probably a good idea, and good manners, to move off VHF when in doubt.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

SURFING WAKES UP MISSISSIPPI GEO General 5 August 21st 06 02:53 PM
River wakes (from an old thread) [email protected] General 3 May 3rd 06 02:27 AM
River wakes Joe Blizzard General 13 August 7th 05 08:02 PM
Sailors and power boaters... W.T. Hatch General 35 September 17th 03 05:05 AM
Using a generator for AC power in absence of shore power Zeki Gunay Electronics 1 August 7th 03 05:24 PM