Bob Bob is offline

Default Words for Skip from Steve Dashew

Dear Skip & L:

While bumping around the web I found these words by Dashew. Thought
you might find it interesting.

"One of the factors in choosing which speed to run at is our arrival
time. Our preferred destination is Levuka on Ovalau island - a sleepy
town with Hemingwayesque charm, according to cruising friends. We need
to average just under 11 knots to get there while it is still light. A
late arrival, however, has us heading into the sun going through the
pass, which makes seeing the coral ahead difficult. Arrival at first
light gives us another 12 hours at sea, reduces our average required
speed, and has the sun behind us. "

https://www.setsail.com/s_logs/dashew/dashew229b.html

On Nov 9, 3:17 am, Bob wrote:
Dear Skip & L:

While bumping around the web I found these words by Dashew. Thought
you might find it interesting.

"One of the factors in choosing which speed to run at is our arrival
time. Our preferred destination is Levuka on Ovalau island - a sleepy
town with Hemingwayesque charm, according to cruising friends. We need
to average just under 11 knots to get there while it is still light. A
late arrival, however, has us heading into the sun going through the
pass, which makes seeing the coral ahead difficult. Arrival at first
light gives us another 12 hours at sea, reduces our average required
speed, and has the sun behind us. "

https://www.setsail.com/s_logs/dashew/dashew229b.html

Hi, Bob, and list,

Dayum, man? Who put sugar in your Wheaties?? :{))

Dashew's site is really interesting reading. I've spent a lot of time
there, along the way. Their current boat is a bit faster than mine :
{)) - but I do the same sort of planning. Of course, as noted in the
last few a while back, we don't always succeed at that. It's the very
short runs (or, presumed short) which can get us into the most trouble
about arrival time.

Just recently, though, I confess that the days are running together
and I don't remember specifically when it was, we sailed overnight
through the Chessie, in order to arrive at Norfolk in the daylight,
without worrying about a place to anchor on the way down. Our likely
fastest speed would bring us there right at dawn, and our likely
slowest speed would bring us there before dark. Lydia was worried
about arriving too early - but I pointed out that it would be trivial
to slow the boat down in that event. As it turned out, we went,
instead, to Hampton to meet up with some friends, and arrived in the
middle of the day - just perfect.

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
Follow us at http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog and/or

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its
hands. You seek problems because you need their gifts."
(Richard Bach, in The Reluctant Messiah)

On Nov 8, 10:17 pm, Bob wrote:
... "One of the factors in choosing which speed to run at is our arrival
time. Our preferred destination is Levuka on Ovalau island... We need
to average just under 11 knots to get there [from Opua 1100 miles away] while it is still light. ...

Oh baby! If I only had infinite piles of cash... This is a passage
that I'm pretty familiar with and on a sail boat the passage times may
well vary by a factor of two for the same boat. That's because it
cuts straight across the variables. The idea of not only being able
to predict which day I'm likely to arrive, but which hour of the day,
with any consistency is wonderful to contemplate. Nonetheless, on the
passage North is would mostly be a luxury. Suva, Levuka and Savusavu
are more or less in a line and half a day apart so you can choose a
daylight entry when you get close. Also, the light isn't a factor for
either Suva or Savusavu and Suva is easy to enter at night even in the
almost inevitable rain. And, of course, the weather tends to get
better as you go North.

-- Tom.

On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 10:50:17 -0800, "
wrote:

The idea of not only being able
to predict which day I'm likely to arrive, but which hour of the day,
with any consistency is wonderful to contemplate.

Powerboating, that is the answer. :-)

As a bonus it will immediately change you from an intelligent, mild
mannered sailor into an ignorant, arrogant, *sshole. :-)

On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 00:17:17 -0800, Bob wrote:

Dear Skip & L:

While bumping around the web I found these words by Dashew. Thought
you might find it interesting.

"One of the factors in choosing which speed to run at is our arrival
time. Our preferred destination is Levuka on Ovalau island - a sleepy
town with Hemingwayesque charm, according to cruising friends. We need
to average just under 11 knots to get there while it is still light. A
late arrival, however, has us heading into the sun going through the
pass, which makes seeing the coral ahead difficult. Arrival at first
light gives us another 12 hours at sea, reduces our average required
speed, and has the sun behind us. "

https://www.setsail.com/s_logs/dashew/dashew229b.html

I found a reference on that site to the Dashew's boat:

Steve & Linda Dashew
recently launched their new 83-foot "unsailboat" Wind Horse, brought
her back to California from New Zealand, and are now heading north up
the Pacific coast of the

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(Note:remove underscores
from address for reply)

Wayne.B wrote in
:

wrote:

The idea of not only being able
to predict which day I'm likely to arrive, but which hour of the day,
with any consistency is wonderful to contemplate.

Powerboating, that is the answer. :-)

As a bonus it will immediately change you from an intelligent, mild
mannered sailor into an ignorant, arrogant, *sshole. :-)

I always hate this kind of statement. I know plenty of respectful power
boaters. Yes there are some jerks out there, but there are also many
people who adhere to the rules of the road and respect their wake. Too
often we paint all power boaters with a broad brush that isn't fair.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 18:36:22 -0600, Geoff Schultz
wrote:

Too
often we paint all power boaters with a broad brush that isn't fair.

Thank you.

Where is Skip and the Flying Pig? [email protected] Cruising 83 September 30th 07 03:52 AM
Yo,, Skip .. your off the hook ... NE Sailboat Cruising 2 April 7th 07 03:34 AM
Skip heading north? Bob Cruising 6 March 3rd 07 05:33 AM
Can we nominate Skip and Lydia for this? Ernest Scribbler Cruising 3 February 16th 07 12:39 AM
Better to skip some boat rides JoeSpareBedroom General 2 May 31st 06 01:05 AM