[email protected] tsmwebb@gmail.com is offline

Default Words for Skip from Steve Dashew

On Nov 8, 10:17 pm, Bob wrote:
... "One of the factors in choosing which speed to run at is our arrival
time. Our preferred destination is Levuka on Ovalau island... We need
to average just under 11 knots to get there [from Opua 1100 miles away] while it is still light. ...

Oh baby! If I only had infinite piles of cash... This is a passage
that I'm pretty familiar with and on a sail boat the passage times may
well vary by a factor of two for the same boat. That's because it
cuts straight across the variables. The idea of not only being able
to predict which day I'm likely to arrive, but which hour of the day,
with any consistency is wonderful to contemplate. Nonetheless, on the
passage North is would mostly be a luxury. Suva, Levuka and Savusavu
are more or less in a line and half a day apart so you can choose a
daylight entry when you get close. Also, the light isn't a factor for
either Suva or Savusavu and Suva is easy to enter at night even in the
almost inevitable rain. And, of course, the weather tends to get
better as you go North.

-- Tom.