BoatBanter.com

-   -   Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/8758-best-east-coast-summer-cruising-grounds.html)

Dean B January 16th 04 10:51 PM

Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds

I have some air miles that I need to use up and would like to charter
a boat on the east cost of the United States next summer. I am
looking for a place with wind; more than anything else, I dislike
using the motor to get around. I expect to anchor every night and
don't intend to go on any offshore passages. Cute little ports are
nice if you need to pick up groceries or a little resturaunt food. I
also like anchoring at state parks that have day hikes.

Chesapeake Bay looks promising or Florida may have something to offer
as well but I have little idea about the wind and park situation.

Dean

DSK January 16th 04 11:13 PM

Dean B wrote:

I have some air miles that I need to use up and would like to charter
a boat on the east cost of the United States next summer. I am
looking for a place with wind; more than anything else, I dislike
using the motor to get around.

Two words... Buzzards Bay.

I expect to anchor every night and
don't intend to go on any offshore passages. Cute little ports are
nice if you need to pick up groceries or a little resturaunt food. I
also like anchoring at state parks that have day hikes.

Chesapeake Bay looks promising or Florida may have something to offer
as well but I have little idea about the wind and park situation.

Neither have much wind in the summer, and both are often beastly hot.
Actually the lower Chesapeake is a bit more reliable for sea breeze in
the summer, but it still gets hot and it doesn't compare with the daily
hurricane on Buzzards Bay. There, and Cape Hattaras (which is not at all
a good place for sailing.... windsurfing, yes) are the two best places
for wind I know of on the East Coast.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Jeff Morris January 16th 04 11:15 PM

Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds

If you can handle a somewhat more challenging environment, Maine is the absolute
best summer cruising ground on the East Coast.

om...

Marc Auslander January 17th 04 02:07 AM

Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds

Buzzards/Nantucket sound if you want to be able to swim and go to high
end shore attractions.

Penobscott bay area otherwise.

Larry W4CSC January 17th 04 05:30 AM

Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds

I'll stick my neck out and put in a plug for our beloved Eastern SC
from Winyah Bay at Georgetown down to the Georgia Border, but away
from Savannah's waste dumps.

There's 3200 miles of navigable waterways, many under sail, within 50
miles of my keyboard, here on the Ashley River at Charleston. Away
from the city, you can motor or sail for hours and hardly see another
soul. In behind many of our UNINHABITED oceanfront islands, whos
nearest roads are sometimes 10 miles to the west, you can anchor out
in channels behind them NOT in view of an ICW marker or its traffic,
dingy ashore and walk around to your own personal Atlantic beach,
where the only other beachgoers either have shells or feathers or
scales. None of them play rap music on a ghettoblaster, but may walk
over your unguarded blanket and steal your food. We'd appreciate it
if the only thing you left on our beach is your footprints. Thanks!

Pull out your charts and have a look. Remember the ocean is SOUTHEAST
of you, not east, here...(c;

15 miles from Charleston is complete desolation in any direction from
the Harbor. "Quiet anchorage" means never hearing another boat at
all!

Every time I've gone to Florida, I find it as relaxing as driving your
limo down Broadway in NYC during rush hour. Every time we got out of
the ICW channel, we went aground with a 5' draft. They call it
"Saving the Manatees".

On 16 Jan 2004 14:51:05 -0800, (Dean B) wrote:

I have some air miles that I need to use up and would like to charter
a boat on the east cost of the United States next summer. I am
looking for a place with wind; more than anything else, I dislike
using the motor to get around. I expect to anchor every night and
don't intend to go on any offshore passages. Cute little ports are
nice if you need to pick up groceries or a little resturaunt food. I
also like anchoring at state parks that have day hikes.

Chesapeake Bay looks promising or Florida may have something to offer
as well but I have little idea about the wind and park situation.

Dean

Larry W4CSC

Rodney Myrvaagnes January 17th 04 05:42 AM

Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds

On 16 Jan 2004 14:51:05 -0800, (Dean B) wrote:

I have some air miles that I need to use up and would like to charter
a boat on the east cost of the United States next summer. I am
looking for a place with wind; more than anything else, I dislike
using the motor to get around. I expect to anchor every night and
don't intend to go on any offshore passages. Cute little ports are
nice if you need to pick up groceries or a little resturaunt food. I
also like anchoring at state parks that have day hikes.

Chesapeake Bay looks promising or Florida may have something to offer
as well but I have little idea about the wind and park situation.

Chesapeake is nice in April or October. Southern New England is more
pleasant in the summer, although prime places can be crowded.

Maine usually has good daytime breezes, but July and August can have a
lot of fog, and the lobster pots seem to bother many who aren't used
to them.

We normally do two weeks in southern New England in late May or early
June, visiting Newport, Block, Cuttyhunk, Vineyard, Nantucket, etc.

Then we go to Maine over Labor Day weekend, and spend a couple of
weeks on the coast.
Rodney Myrvaagnes Opionated old geezer

Faith-based economics: It's deja voodoo all over again