BoatBanter.com

-   -   Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/8758-best-east-coast-summer-cruising-grounds.html)

Dean B January 16th 04 10:51 PM

Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds

I have some air miles that I need to use up and would like to charter
a boat on the east cost of the United States next summer. I am
looking for a place with wind; more than anything else, I dislike
using the motor to get around. I expect to anchor every night and
don't intend to go on any offshore passages. Cute little ports are
nice if you need to pick up groceries or a little resturaunt food. I
also like anchoring at state parks that have day hikes.

Chesapeake Bay looks promising or Florida may have something to offer
as well but I have little idea about the wind and park situation.

Dean

DSK January 16th 04 11:13 PM

Dean B wrote:

I have some air miles that I need to use up and would like to charter
a boat on the east cost of the United States next summer. I am
looking for a place with wind; more than anything else, I dislike
using the motor to get around.

Two words... Buzzards Bay.

I expect to anchor every night and
don't intend to go on any offshore passages. Cute little ports are
nice if you need to pick up groceries or a little resturaunt food. I
also like anchoring at state parks that have day hikes.

Chesapeake Bay looks promising or Florida may have something to offer
as well but I have little idea about the wind and park situation.

Neither have much wind in the summer, and both are often beastly hot.
Actually the lower Chesapeake is a bit more reliable for sea breeze in
the summer, but it still gets hot and it doesn't compare with the daily
hurricane on Buzzards Bay. There, and Cape Hattaras (which is not at all
a good place for sailing.... windsurfing, yes) are the two best places
for wind I know of on the East Coast.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Jeff Morris January 16th 04 11:15 PM

Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds

If you can handle a somewhat more challenging environment, Maine is the absolute
best summer cruising ground on the East Coast.

om...

Marc Auslander January 17th 04 02:07 AM

Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds

Buzzards/Nantucket sound if you want to be able to swim and go to high
end shore attractions.

Penobscott bay area otherwise.

Larry W4CSC January 17th 04 05:30 AM

Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds

I'll stick my neck out and put in a plug for our beloved Eastern SC
from Winyah Bay at Georgetown down to the Georgia Border, but away
from Savannah's waste dumps.

There's 3200 miles of navigable waterways, many under sail, within 50
miles of my keyboard, here on the Ashley River at Charleston. Away
from the city, you can motor or sail for hours and hardly see another
soul. In behind many of our UNINHABITED oceanfront islands, whos
nearest roads are sometimes 10 miles to the west, you can anchor out
in channels behind them NOT in view of an ICW marker or its traffic,
dingy ashore and walk around to your own personal Atlantic beach,
where the only other beachgoers either have shells or feathers or
scales. None of them play rap music on a ghettoblaster, but may walk
over your unguarded blanket and steal your food. We'd appreciate it
if the only thing you left on our beach is your footprints. Thanks!

Pull out your charts and have a look. Remember the ocean is SOUTHEAST
of you, not east, here...(c;

15 miles from Charleston is complete desolation in any direction from
the Harbor. "Quiet anchorage" means never hearing another boat at
all!

Every time I've gone to Florida, I find it as relaxing as driving your
limo down Broadway in NYC during rush hour. Every time we got out of
the ICW channel, we went aground with a 5' draft. They call it
"Saving the Manatees".

On 16 Jan 2004 14:51:05 -0800, (Dean B) wrote:

I have some air miles that I need to use up and would like to charter
a boat on the east cost of the United States next summer. I am
looking for a place with wind; more than anything else, I dislike
using the motor to get around. I expect to anchor every night and
don't intend to go on any offshore passages. Cute little ports are
nice if you need to pick up groceries or a little resturaunt food. I
also like anchoring at state parks that have day hikes.

Chesapeake Bay looks promising or Florida may have something to offer
as well but I have little idea about the wind and park situation.

Dean

Larry W4CSC

Rodney Myrvaagnes January 17th 04 05:42 AM

Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds

On 16 Jan 2004 14:51:05 -0800, (Dean B) wrote:

I have some air miles that I need to use up and would like to charter
a boat on the east cost of the United States next summer. I am
looking for a place with wind; more than anything else, I dislike
using the motor to get around. I expect to anchor every night and
don't intend to go on any offshore passages. Cute little ports are
nice if you need to pick up groceries or a little resturaunt food. I
also like anchoring at state parks that have day hikes.

Chesapeake Bay looks promising or Florida may have something to offer
as well but I have little idea about the wind and park situation.

Chesapeake is nice in April or October. Southern New England is more
pleasant in the summer, although prime places can be crowded.

Maine usually has good daytime breezes, but July and August can have a
lot of fog, and the lobster pots seem to bother many who aren't used
to them.

We normally do two weeks in southern New England in late May or early
June, visiting Newport, Block, Cuttyhunk, Vineyard, Nantucket, etc.

Then we go to Maine over Labor Day weekend, and spend a couple of
weeks on the coast.
Rodney Myrvaagnes Opionated old geezer

Faith-based economics: It's deja voodoo all over again

Jeff Morris January 17th 04 02:08 PM

Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds

wrote in message

Although it is a bit calm in the summer, LIS is actually has the most wind on

an
annual basis.

Boston actually is the windiest seaport in the lower 48 (Chicago isn't close):

http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/...d/avgwind.html

Leanne January 17th 04 02:19 PM

Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds

"DSK" wrote in message
Dean B wrote:

Two words... Buzzards Bay.

My words too. I grew up in that area and loved the nice sailing
we had.
I only wish we had half the wind in coastal South Carolina.

Leanne
s/v Fundy

Armond Perretta January 17th 04 03:23 PM

Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds

Dean B wrote:
I ... would like to
charter a boat on the east cost ... next summer.
I am looking for a place with wind; more than anything else ...
I expect to anchor every
night and don't intend to go on any offshore passages. Cute little
ports are nice if you need to pick up groceries or a little
resturaunt food. I also like anchoring at state parks that have
day hikes.

Chesapeake Bay looks promising or Florida may have something to
offer as well but I have little idea about the wind and park
situation.

So far mentioned are Buzzards, Long Island Sound, the Maine coast,
Chesapeake Bay, and perhaps a few others. You haven't given many details
(experience, length of cruise, crew, boat size, when in the season, etc.) so
it's hard to pin things down. Even so, some valid generalities are
possible.

For beauty (when you can actually see it) the Maine coast is perhaps at the
top of the list, but this depends to some extent on one's preferences. The
Chesapeake Bay _in_season_ is to many folks the best looking place to
dawdle. Certainly there are more nooks and crannies on the Bay than in most
other places, but the Bay may not meet your sailing expectations depending
upon when you visit. Southern New England is fine looking to my eye, but
except for Gay Head there really aren't many spectacular or "charming"
vistas compared to other locales. Different strokes.

Long Island Sound is notorious for calm winds in season. Even the daily
thermal sometimes doesn't appear. I'd say the most common sight on LIS in
summer is a sailboat scurrying east or wet under power. That's been my
experience over the last 25 or so years. Mind you, I'm not a resident.

Southern New England (aka "Buzzards") can be relied upon for wind (sometimes
more than necessary). The problem for me is that, although there are many
places to stop, actual anchorage is not always available. Many of the
overly-used harbors are filled with expensive moorings, and crowds are
guaranteed in places like Marthas and Nantucket. Same for Newport, the
Elizabeth Islands, and so on. Of the lot, Block Island will usually offer
room to anchor, and even in mid-season it may not _seem_ crowded. But Block
is a place to sit for most folks, not to merely overnight. It's a
destination rather than a stopover in that limited sense. Depends on your
taste.

Above the CC Canal, there's perhaps not enough variety to satisfy some
tastes until you get to the Maine coast. I have been in most of the harbors
on Mass Bay and Cape Cod Bay. I like them quite a bit, but often enough
there's not the wind you seem to require. Also the scenery when crossing
Cap Cod Bay isn't in the same league as further north and east. That's also
the case on LIS.

Then there's Maine. Maine for many folks begins east of Muscongus Bay, and
gets better the farther east one goes. The problem with this coast is that
(a) it takes a more experienced hand (and a better prepared vessel) to
really enjoy it, and (b) sometimes you cannot see it. I know many folks
who've spent 2 full weeks in fog on this coast. I know just as many who've
had clear weather for their entire cruise (well, not _that_ many). I am a
Maineiac and have been for some time, but I can understand why some folks
would not agree. I go on my own boat and never have anything that resembles
a schedule.

I would say your short list should include Southern New England and
Penobscot Bay, depending on the specifics I mentioned at the beginning of
this post. Look for a copy of Bill Robinson's "Places to Cruise." It
covers just about all the possible spots on the East Coast (plus some other
well known areas). It's long out of print but often available in local
libraries. He says it a lot better than I have, although I suspect our
conclusions are not very far apart.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Don White January 17th 04 07:50 PM

Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds

If you are up for it...break away from the states, head north east, and
treat yourself to a real adventure.
http://www.canadaeastcoast.com/English/FunWater/C.html

om...

Mark Borgerson January 17th 04 10:20 PM

Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds

In article , jeffmo@nospam-at-all-
sv-loki.com says...
If you can handle a somewhat more challenging environment, Maine is the absolute
best summer cruising ground on the East Coast.

I've always wanted to cruise that area. I've even got a chart of
the lower Damariscotta and Kennebunk rivers on the wall. However, I
have heard that one should be wary of the black fly season---whenever
that is. After years of cruising in the nearly insect-free
San Juan and Gulf Islands, I never even think to inquire whether
a charter boat has screens.

Mark Borgerson

om...

Jeff Morris January 17th 04 10:58 PM

Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds

IIRC, Black Fly season is late spring, early summer - it should be over by July
4th. As someone else pointed out, Labor Day is a nice time to head for Maine.
Also, places like Martha's Vineyard are really nice starting on Labor Day - the
crowds are gone, prices start to fall, moorings can be had cheap or free. Just
have a plan for the inevitable hurricane threat - ours is to head north of Cape
Cod.

"Mark Borgerson" wrote in message
t...
In article , jeffmo@nospam-at-all-
sv-loki.com says...
If you can handle a somewhat more challenging environment, Maine is the

absolute
best summer cruising ground on the East Coast.

I've always wanted to cruise that area. I've even got a chart of
the lower Damariscotta and Kennebunk rivers on the wall. However, I
have heard that one should be wary of the black fly season---whenever
that is. After years of cruising in the nearly insect-free
San Juan and Gulf Islands, I never even think to inquire whether
a charter boat has screens.

Mark Borgerson

om...

Jere Lull January 17th 04 11:52 PM

Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds

In article ,
"Armond Perretta" wrote:

Dean B wrote:
[...]

upon when you visit. snip

The Chesapeake CAN be frustrating some days, particularly if you're
trying to "get" some place, but if you can work light to moderate air,
you can usually get to some nice anchorage as the distances are short.
Within 10 nm of our marina (near Rock Hall, one of the rental centers),
we have 7 overnight anchorages. Another 5 or so miles and the number at
least doubles. We usually stop sailing when VMG goes below 2-3 knots.
YMMV.

To really get to know the Bay's treasures, check out Shellenberger's
"Gunkholer's Guide" to the Chesapeake.

--
Jere Lull

Rosalie B. January 18th 04 12:56 AM

Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds

x-no-archive:yes

"Jeff Morris" wrote:

IIRC, Black Fly season is late spring, early summer - it should be over by July
4th. As someone else pointed out, Labor Day is a nice time to head for Maine.
Also, places like Martha's Vineyard are really nice starting on Labor Day - the
crowds are gone, prices start to fall, moorings can be had cheap or free. Just
have a plan for the inevitable hurricane threat - ours is to head north of Cape
Cod.

THere are flies in the Chesapeake too. After the first time, we've
never gone out without a fly swatter. It is possible to step on them
or swat them with something else, especially after they've bitten you
and are full of blood, but it's easier with a fly swatter. They are
around anytime there's little or no wind.

"Mark Borgerson" wrote in message
et...
In article , jeffmo@nospam-at-all-
sv-loki.com says...
If you can handle a somewhat more challenging environment, Maine is the

absolute
best summer cruising ground on the East Coast.

I've always wanted to cruise that area. I've even got a chart of
the lower Damariscotta and Kennebunk rivers on the wall. However, I
have heard that one should be wary of the black fly season---whenever
that is. After years of cruising in the nearly insect-free
San Juan and Gulf Islands, I never even think to inquire whether
a charter boat has screens.

Mark Borgerson

"Dean B" wrote in message
om...
I have some air miles that I need to use up and would like to charter
a boat on the east cost of the United States next summer. I am
looking for a place with wind; more than anything else, I dislike
using the motor to get around. I expect to anchor every night and
don't intend to go on any offshore passages. Cute little ports are
nice if you need to pick up groceries or a little resturaunt food. I
also like anchoring at state parks that have day hikes.

Chesapeake Bay looks promising or Florida may have something to offer
as well but I have little idea about the wind and park situation.

Dean

grandma Rosalie

Rodney Myrvaagnes January 18th 04 08:04 AM

Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 10:23:04 -0500, "Armond Perretta"
wrote:

[...]

I agree with most of what Armond says. Exceptions:

I would say Maine begins at Cape Elizabeth, not Muscongus Bay. There
are some lovely anchorages in Casco Bay if you are willing to sail
north for some distance, and aren't trying to make time along the
coast. Richmond Island, at Cape Elizabeth, offers a pleasant anchorage
even if you are trying to make time along the coast.

Same for the Sheepscot River.

Cruising in September, we have had as many as 13 days straight of
super-clear weather. When Labor Day is early, we have often arrived to
meet thick fog, sometimes lasting 2 or 3 days. Usually clear for the
remaining time.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Religious wisdom is to wisdom as military music is to music."

Rodney Myrvaagnes January 18th 04 08:04 AM

Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 22:20:01 GMT, Mark Borgerson
wrote:

In article , jeffmo@nospam-at-all-
sv-loki.com says...
If you can handle a somewhat more challenging environment, Maine is the absolute
best summer cruising ground on the East Coast.

I've always wanted to cruise that area. I've even got a chart of
the lower Damariscotta and Kennebunk rivers on the wall. However, I
have heard that one should be wary of the black fly season---whenever
that is. After years of cruising in the nearly insect-free
San Juan and Gulf Islands, I never even think to inquire whether
a charter boat has screens.

I have had a couple of really distressing mosquito attacks in Maine,
but I have never, in 25 years of cruising, experienced black flies on
a boat. But, IIRC, the season may be in June?

We have cruised Maine in mid May, July, and (mostly) September.

Black flies are horrible. I have been eaten by them in the White
Mountains of NH.

Jeff Morris January 18th 04 12:05 PM

"Rodney Myrvaagnes" wrote in message
I agree with most of what Armond says. Exceptions:

I would say Maine begins at Cape Elizabeth, not Muscongus Bay. There
are some lovely anchorages in Casco Bay if you are willing to sail
north for some distance, and aren't trying to make time along the
coast. Richmond Island, at Cape Elizabeth, offers a pleasant anchorage
even if you are trying to make time along the coast.

I agree completely - Casco Bay may not be considered "Down East" but its still
very nice. We always stop a Richmond Island - because it has two harbors and
fairly easy approaches its a good target for the end of a long haul.

Same for the Sheepscot River.

Cruising in September, we have had as many as 13 days straight of
super-clear weather. When Labor Day is early, we have often arrived to
meet thick fog, sometimes lasting 2 or 3 days. Usually clear for the
remaining time.

By Labor Day the fog can be clearing out. However, in the Summer its not a
matter of whether there's fog, but where its sitting. Some years it mostly
stays offshore, other years it comes in close. We've only been socked in for
several days once, at Jewell Island. We later found there was no fog about a
mile towards shore from where we were.

Last year we had planned a long Maine trip but punted because of the rain. We
heard from cousins that Down East was totally socked in much of the early
summer; others said Casco Bay was pea soup much of August.

The best thing is to have radar, but no fixed itinerary.

BTW, I've never had black flies in coastal Maine, but I have suffered nasty
attacks off of Plum Island.

Joe Della Barba January 18th 04 03:59 PM

Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds

The Chesapeake is nearly perfect for what you want with one big
exception. July, August, and early September can be perfect but also
can be very hot with no wind for days on end.
New England has cooler water and more wind, but between Memorial Day
and Labor Day is severely overcrowded IMHO.
Joe

Ernie January 18th 04 04:23 PM

Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds

I spent mostly all last summer cruising and fishing between Kennebunk and
Raymond Islands off the coast of Maine and once on the water the flies and
mosquitoes were none existent. It's sheer paradise. You could venture
north and head for Boothbay Harbor and Bar Harbor. These are great places
to fish, relax, and enjoy the scenery. Both have great restaurants, are
very picturesque and a must to visit. Don't overlook Cadilac Mountain if
you get to Bar Harbor.

Wwso149874 January 18th 04 08:51 PM

Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds

Try Hinckley Yacht Charters:
http://www.acadia.net/hyc/
While you aren't quite far enough to the NE, you will be on the doorstep to
god's country. I have been throughout the Caribbean, almost all of the
Bahamas, and the entire east coast of the US from Key West to New England.
These are the finest cruising grounds on this side of the Atlantic, BAR NONE!

PS: I have no affiliation with HYC, nor have I ever chartered with them, but I
have cruised this coast many times, and plan to be back again soon. There are
also other charter outfits in the area.

Don White January 18th 04 10:02 PM

Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds

On the HYC site, first sentence, they refer to the only fjord in the East.
There actually is a freshwater fjord in Gros Morne National Park,
Newfoundland...but it might be expensive to have your sailboat flown in. :-)
see: *** http://parkscanada.pch.gc.ca/pn-np/n...ne/index_E.asp ***