BoatBanter.com

-   -   Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/8758-best-east-coast-summer-cruising-grounds.html)

Mark Borgerson January 20th 04 02:43 AM

Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds

In article ,
says...
Dean B wrote:
I also have a few questions about Southern New England:
Do the winds hold up in Sep.?

See the Maine response and associated details.

It sounds pretty commercialized. I'm worried about not finding a
place to anchor. Is there much hope for a primitive experience or
are you at the mercy of the local property owners?

Forget trespassing. You will get into trouble fast. In Southern New
England one simply does not land on private property.

The issue instead is usually the availability of space in the standard
harbors. Years ago the trend switched to moorings, and it's only gotten
worse. At least in September you will be pretty sure to find a mooring, but
most harbors of interest are so clogged with mooring balls that lying to
your own steel is not simple. I try to do it most of the time, but I have
been using these harbors for many years and I can usually make an educated
guess about what's possible and what's trouble. In some harbors you will
definitely draw the ire of the local constable if you get creative.

That brings up some questions:
1. Here in Oregon, and IIRC, Washington,
the land between high and low tide lines is considered public property
and you can anchor in any water not othwise restricted. That means
you can put down the lunch hook and dinghy ashore for a trip
through the tide pools. Are the laws and regulations similar
in Maine?

2. What's the expected tidal range and are the tides diurnal or
semi-diurnal? (OK, I know the ranges may vary widely in different
areas, but assume I'm asking about common anchorages).

Now for a fee I will give you the coordinates of some really neat places to
drop a hook not matter what the situation (smile).

Hope the fee would be less than the equivalent of the Waggoner's guide
out here! ;-)

Mark Borgerson

Ken Heaton January 20th 04 03:23 AM

Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
Buzzards Bay and the Cape and Islands are great, but they're not exactly
"primitive." snipped bit was here

Frankly, its sounds to me like Maine is what you're after. Just don't

plan on
swimming.

Or you could come a little further north to Cape Breton and cruise the Bras
d'Or. Fog is almost unknown and you CAN plan on swimming. Always some
other yachts around but never crowded. Lots of public land and most private
land owners don't mind anyway. Lots to see & do. I like it, that why I
live here.

A site by a fellow rec.boats.cruising poster:
http://www.jimthompson.net/brasdor/
A small charter company: http://www.alongshore.com/cblake/about.htm
--
Ken Heaton & Anne Tobin
Cape Breton Island, Canada

"Dean B" wrote in message
om...
I also have a few questions about Southern New England:
Do the winds hold up in Sep.?
It sounds pretty commercialized. I'm worried about not finding a
place to anchor. Is there much hope for a primitive experience or are
you at the mercy of the local property owners?
Don't get me wrong, I do like to stop in at the occasional small port
but there are only so many gift shops and book stores that I can put
up with.

Dean

Rodney Myrvaagnes January 20th 04 06:26 AM

Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds

On 19 Jan 2004 11:27:27 -0800, (Dean B) wrote:

Wow! what great responses. I think I owe it to you to fill in some
more details about myself and my needs.

I will be sailing with just my wife with whom I race in Portland. She
has limited cruising experience. Boat size is always a compromise of
a number of factors so we tend to prefer a boat in the 30-35 foot
range. We're both athletic and don't like being stuck on-board for
days at a time so shore activities are important. State Parks, like
those in the San Juans, are ideal because the better ones have nice
trails that one can spend considerable time walking around and
exploring the entire island.

Both Mount Desert and Isle au Haut have hiking trails. They are part
of Acadia National Park. Isle au Haut has Park Dept moorings in Duck
Harbor in the summer time, or so I am told. They were pulled by the
time we got there in Mid Sept. It is not a comfortable harbor for
sleeping.

Better, perhaps, to anchor in the thorofare east of the
lighthouse/b&b. You can row to the town dock from there.

Great Wass Is. (The Mudhole) (67-35 W, 44-29 N) belongs to The Nature
Conservancy and has trails. In September you are likely to have the
Mudhole to yourself, but I don't know about summer.

For long days June might have some of the advantages of September for
lack of crowding, but the water will be really cold. Bring gloves for
weighing anchor.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"WooWooism lives" Anon grafitto on the base of the Cuttyhunk breakwater light

Rodney Myrvaagnes January 20th 04 06:26 AM

Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds

On 19 Jan 2004 11:33:01 -0800, (Dean B) wrote:

The most encouraging destinations discussed so far are on the New
England coast. I have a few questions that I'd like to push back
about Maine:
Is the Maine fog less of a problem in September?

Yes, much less.It can still happen, but the odds are with you.

Is the high season
fog all that bad?

Sometimes it socks in for days at a time. Average fog days are highest
in July and August.

Does it burn of in the afternoon?

Sometimes. But you are more likely to get out of it by going in
between islands. For example, you might be sailing west by Great Wass,
Steele Harbor Is., and Head Harbor Is. without seeing much of
anything. Then you turn the corner toward Roque and everything opens
up ahead of you.

Also, Casco Bay can be nice when it is foggy outside. So can the
Sheepscot or Damariscotta rivers.

Do the winds hold up in Maine in Sep.?
What is the public land situation in Maine? Are there public parks
where one can wander around?

Thanks,
Dean

Rodney Myrvaagnes January 20th 04 06:26 AM

Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 02:43:23 GMT, Mark Borgerson
wrote:

In article ,
says...

That brings up some questions:
1. Here in Oregon, and IIRC, Washington,
the land between high and low tide lines is considered public property
and you can anchor in any water not othwise restricted. That means
you can put down the lunch hook and dinghy ashore for a trip
through the tide pools. Are the laws and regulations similar
in Maine?

2. What's the expected tidal range and are the tides diurnal or
semi-diurnal? (OK, I know the ranges may vary widely in different
areas, but assume I'm asking about common anchorages).

Semidiurnal, and normal range is in the 11-13 foot range along most of
the Maine Coast. It rises steeply as you enter the Bay of Fundy, with
a mean range of 28 ft on Grand Manan.

If you are serious about Maine you would do well to get all the
cruising guides you can lay your hands on. Read them at home with
planning charts. (The Johnson guide comes with planning charts.)

Also get an Eldridge or other book with tide tables.

Rodney Myrvaagnes January 20th 04 06:26 AM

Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 23:23:50 -0400, "Ken Heaton"
wrote:

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
Buzzards Bay and the Cape and Islands are great, but they're not exactly
"primitive." snipped bit was here

Frankly, its sounds to me like Maine is what you're after. Just don't

plan on
swimming.

Or you could come a little further north to Cape Breton and cruise the Bras
d'Or. Fog is almost unknown and you CAN plan on swimming. Always some
other yachts around but never crowded. Lots of public land and most private
land owners don't mind anyway. Lots to see & do. I like it, that why I
live here.

A site by a fellow rec.boats.cruising poster:
http://www.jimthompson.net/brasdor/
A small charter company: http://www.alongshore.com/cblake/about.htm

Not a bad suggestion if there is a charter available there. A very
relaxed, sheltered place. THe emotional experience is completely
different from the outside coast, of either Maine or Nova Scotia.

You could spend a week in Bras d'Or without a single
sphincter-tightening event. Lots of Eagles.

Still, if I had to choose only one, it would be Maine in September.