BoatBanter.com

-   -   Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/8758-best-east-coast-summer-cruising-grounds.html)

Don White January 18th 04 10:02 PM

Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds

On the HYC site, first sentence, they refer to the only fjord in the East.
There actually is a freshwater fjord in Gros Morne National Park,
Newfoundland...but it might be expensive to have your sailboat flown in. :-)
see: *** http://parkscanada.pch.gc.ca/pn-np/n...ne/index_E.asp ***

Wwso149874 wrote in message
Try Hinckley Yacht Charters:
http://www.acadia.net/hyc/
While you aren't quite far enough to the NE, you will be on the doorstep

god's country. I have been throughout the Caribbean, almost all of the
Bahamas, and the entire east coast of the US from Key West to New England.
These are the finest cruising grounds on this side of the Atlantic, BAR

NONE!

PS: I have no affiliation with HYC, nor have I ever chartered with them,

but I
have cruised this coast many times, and plan to be back again soon. There

are
also other charter outfits in the area.

Mark Borgerson January 18th 04 11:44 PM

Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds

In article ,
says...
On the HYC site, first sentence, they refer to the only fjord in the East.
There actually is a freshwater fjord in Gros Morne National Park,
Newfoundland...but it might be expensive to have your sailboat flown in. :-)
see: ***
http://parkscanada.pch.gc.ca/pn-np/n...ne/index_E.asp ***

My personal experience is that fjords are not really a top attraction
for sailors. The winds in them usually end up right on your nose
and you spend a lot of time on short tacks. At least that was my
experience in trying to SAIL up to Princess Louisa Inlet in BC. IIRC, I
motored more than half the time. Of course, the extreme tidal currents
at the entrance make it necessary to time your arrival at Malibu
Rapids--which gives you little slack for coping with fluky winds.

Oh, and the fjords in BC are not much for anchorages--water depths are
often several hundred feet just a few hundred feet away from the
rock wall.

When I finally do get the chance to cruise in Maine, the fjord
will not be a great attraction. ;-) Scenery, anchorages, and
attractions ashore will be the reason for the trip.

Wwso149874 wrote in message
Try Hinckley Yacht Charters:
http://www.acadia.net/hyc/
While you aren't quite far enough to the NE, you will be on the doorstep

god's country. I have been throughout the Caribbean, almost all of the
Bahamas, and the entire east coast of the US from Key West to New England.
These are the finest cruising grounds on this side of the Atlantic, BAR

NONE!

PS: I have no affiliation with HYC, nor have I ever chartered with them,

but I
have cruised this coast many times, and plan to be back again soon. There

are
also other charter outfits in the area.

Mark Borgerson

Bob January 19th 04 01:00 AM

Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 09:08:33 -0500, "Jeff Morris"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

Although it is a bit calm in the summer, LIS is actually has the most wind on

an
annual basis.

Boston actually is the windiest seaport in the lower 48 (Chicago isn't close):

http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/...d/avgwind.html

Chicago got the name 'windy city' because of its politicians, not
because of its winds.
---------------------------
to see who "wf3h" is, go to "qrz.com"
and enter 'wf3h' in the field

Rodney Myrvaagnes January 19th 04 01:21 AM

On 18 Jan 2004 20:51:55 GMT, (Wwso149874) wrote:

Try Hinckley Yacht Charters:
http://www.acadia.net/hyc/
While you aren't quite far enough to the NE, you will be on the doorstep to
god's country. I have been throughout the Caribbean, almost all of the
Bahamas, and the entire east coast of the US from Key West to New England.
These are the finest cruising grounds on this side of the Atlantic, BAR NONE!

PS: I have no affiliation with HYC, nor have I ever chartered with them, but I
have cruised this coast many times, and plan to be back again soon. There are
also other charter outfits in the area.

I second this, if you are willing to pay for a really professional
management. I chartered from Hinckley in 1992 when I damaged out boat
on the way to Maine and had to save scheduled vacations in a hurry.

They came thorough in spades. I have not broken our boat since so have
no further charter experience to tell.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Religious wisdom is to wisdom as military music is to music."

Jeff Morris January 19th 04 02:16 AM

"Bob" wrote in message
Boston actually is the windiest seaport in the lower 48 (Chicago isn't

close):

http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/...d/avgwind.html

Chicago got the name 'windy city' because of its politicians, not
because of its winds.

Boston's reputation is because of the beans. ;-}

Jeff Morris January 19th 04 02:28 AM

"Mark Borgerson" wrote in message
My personal experience is that fjords are not really a top attraction
for sailors. The winds in them usually end up right on your nose
and you spend a lot of time on short tacks. At least that was my
experience in trying to SAIL up to Princess Louisa Inlet in BC. IIRC, I
motored more than half the time. Of course, the extreme tidal currents
at the entrance make it necessary to time your arrival at Malibu
Rapids--which gives you little slack for coping with fluky winds.

Oh, and the fjords in BC are not much for anchorages--water depths are
often several hundred feet just a few hundred feet away from the
rock wall.

Somes Sound is not a great sailing spot, but its only 4 miles long. The
attraction is the view, which includes an anchorage under a 600 foot cliff.
There is also a quiet anchorage at the head that's a short walk from the best
bookstore on the island.

Frankly Mt Desert is nice but it is a bit hectic. If you want quiet beauty
there are dozens of other spots, within 20 miles.

-jeff