Rodney Myrvaagnes

Default Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 22:20:01 GMT, Mark Borgerson
wrote:

In article , jeffmo@nospam-at-all-
sv-loki.com says...
If you can handle a somewhat more challenging environment, Maine is the absolute
best summer cruising ground on the East Coast.

I've always wanted to cruise that area. I've even got a chart of
the lower Damariscotta and Kennebunk rivers on the wall. However, I
have heard that one should be wary of the black fly season---whenever
that is. After years of cruising in the nearly insect-free
San Juan and Gulf Islands, I never even think to inquire whether
a charter boat has screens.

I have had a couple of really distressing mosquito attacks in Maine,
but I have never, in 25 years of cruising, experienced black flies on
a boat. But, IIRC, the season may be in June?

We have cruised Maine in mid May, July, and (mostly) September.

Black flies are horrible. I have been eaten by them in the White
Mountains of NH.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Religious wisdom is to wisdom as military music is to music."
Jeff Morris

"Rodney Myrvaagnes" wrote in message
I agree with most of what Armond says. Exceptions:

I would say Maine begins at Cape Elizabeth, not Muscongus Bay. There
are some lovely anchorages in Casco Bay if you are willing to sail
north for some distance, and aren't trying to make time along the
coast. Richmond Island, at Cape Elizabeth, offers a pleasant anchorage
even if you are trying to make time along the coast.

I agree completely - Casco Bay may not be considered "Down East" but its still
very nice. We always stop a Richmond Island - because it has two harbors and
fairly easy approaches its a good target for the end of a long haul.

Same for the Sheepscot River.

Cruising in September, we have had as many as 13 days straight of
super-clear weather. When Labor Day is early, we have often arrived to
meet thick fog, sometimes lasting 2 or 3 days. Usually clear for the
remaining time.

By Labor Day the fog can be clearing out. However, in the Summer its not a
matter of whether there's fog, but where its sitting. Some years it mostly
stays offshore, other years it comes in close. We've only been socked in for
several days once, at Jewell Island. We later found there was no fog about a
mile towards shore from where we were.

Last year we had planned a long Maine trip but punted because of the rain. We
heard from cousins that Down East was totally socked in much of the early
summer; others said Casco Bay was pea soup much of August.

The best thing is to have radar, but no fixed itinerary.

BTW, I've never had black flies in coastal Maine, but I have suffered nasty
attacks off of Plum Island.

Joe Della Barba

The Chesapeake is nearly perfect for what you want with one big
exception. July, August, and early September can be perfect but also
can be very hot with no wind for days on end.
New England has cooler water and more wind, but between Memorial Day
and Labor Day is severely overcrowded IMHO.
Joe

Ernie

I spent mostly all last summer cruising and fishing between Kennebunk and
Raymond Islands off the coast of Maine and once on the water the flies and
mosquitoes were none existent. It's sheer paradise. You could venture
north and head for Boothbay Harbor and Bar Harbor. These are great places
to fish, relax, and enjoy the scenery. Both have great restaurants, are
very picturesque and a must to visit. Don't overlook Cadilac Mountain if
you get to Bar Harbor.

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
[...]

Wwso149874

Try Hinckley Yacht Charters:
http://www.acadia.net/hyc/
While you aren't quite far enough to the NE, you will be on the doorstep to
god's country. I have been throughout the Caribbean, almost all of the
Bahamas, and the entire east coast of the US from Key West to New England.
These are the finest cruising grounds on this side of the Atlantic, BAR NONE!

PS: I have no affiliation with HYC, nor have I ever chartered with them, but I
have cruised this coast many times, and plan to be back again soon. There are
also other charter outfits in the area.

Don White

On the HYC site, first sentence, they refer to the only fjord in the East.
There actually is a freshwater fjord in Gros Morne National Park,
Newfoundland...but it might be expensive to have your sailboat flown in. :-)
see: *** http://parkscanada.pch.gc.ca/pn-np/n...ne/index_E.asp ***

Summer cruising QLW General 2 January 27th 04 08:13 PM
Wanted: Info on St. Lawrence River / East coast N.B. Bob Parker Cruising 2 November 2nd 03 04:10 PM
Cruising West Florida Coast Margaret and Loren Block Cruising 3 October 23rd 03 07:47 AM
Cruising Grounds Search Greg Boyles General 1 October 17th 03 12:41 PM