Jeff Morris

Default Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds

"Rodney Myrvaagnes" wrote in message
I agree with most of what Armond says. Exceptions:

I would say Maine begins at Cape Elizabeth, not Muscongus Bay. There
are some lovely anchorages in Casco Bay if you are willing to sail
north for some distance, and aren't trying to make time along the
coast. Richmond Island, at Cape Elizabeth, offers a pleasant anchorage
even if you are trying to make time along the coast.

I agree completely - Casco Bay may not be considered "Down East" but its still
very nice. We always stop a Richmond Island - because it has two harbors and
fairly easy approaches its a good target for the end of a long haul.

Same for the Sheepscot River.

Cruising in September, we have had as many as 13 days straight of
super-clear weather. When Labor Day is early, we have often arrived to
meet thick fog, sometimes lasting 2 or 3 days. Usually clear for the
remaining time.

By Labor Day the fog can be clearing out. However, in the Summer its not a
matter of whether there's fog, but where its sitting. Some years it mostly
stays offshore, other years it comes in close. We've only been socked in for
several days once, at Jewell Island. We later found there was no fog about a
mile towards shore from where we were.

Last year we had planned a long Maine trip but punted because of the rain. We
heard from cousins that Down East was totally socked in much of the early
summer; others said Casco Bay was pea soup much of August.

The best thing is to have radar, but no fixed itinerary.

BTW, I've never had black flies in coastal Maine, but I have suffered nasty
attacks off of Plum Island.