Default Sailboat Swim Platform?

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 20:28:38 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 04:02:54 GMT, "Glenn \(s/v Seawing\)"
wrote:

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 23:06:51 GMT, "Glenn \(s/v Seawing\)"
wrote:

Hi! Looking to pick your brains a little. I am making some major changes
to my boat this year. Some of you think I'm nuts & that alot of these
changes are not necessary. I remind you that my wife is eager to go back
cruising for a year or two at a time and lots of your wives are not. :-).

One of the additions we are looking for is the addition of a swim
platform.
Our boat is a Gulfstar 41' Auxillary (the sailboat hull & not the trawler
hull). This vessel is a centre cockpit. We are looking to build a swim
platform on the stern as well as a fairly substantial boarding ladder from
the platform to deck level. I'd like the platform to be fairly sturdy.

Please post your advise, observations & experience. I need to have some
ideas on design, construction methods & pitfalls I've not yet imagined.

Thanks all!

Glenn.
s/v Seawing.

I see a substantial number of sailing boats with swim platforms and
substantial boarding ladders - usually on boats that have cruised a
lot.

I suppose that if you are using a wind vane steerer the platform would
have to accommodate the vane but other then that I don't see a
problem.

One possible point - many marinas use overall length to calculate the
fees and a folding platform might save a bit of money in that case,

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(Note:displayed e-mail
address is a spam trap)

Hi Bruce. Thanks for your response. At this point, we don't spend much
time in marinas, but this can be a concern & should be thought about.

We are currently using a wheel pilot...not sure about the future of a wind
vane, should be decide to take on longer passages.

One concern that's been raised is following, or following breaking seas.
Any idea how some of these folks protect themselves from damage in this
regard?

Thanks!

Glenn.
s/v Seawing.

A couple of the swim platforms I have seen installed were by people
who I know have done substantial amounts of cruising and frankly the
question never came up. One of these boats made their entire living
for about 10 years chartering and certainly must have ran into some
bad weather. Another boat had made a couple of trips to Chagos which
is a fairly substantial Indian Ocean trip.

My opinion (for what it isn worth) is that it is probably not
something to be overly worried about.

Given the design of the average 40ish foot cruising boat the transom
is really pretty narrow so a, say, two foot swim platform framed in
stainless with a teak deck would be, what? 2 X 6 feet * 0.5 as a teak
grating is half holes. That is an area of 6 square feet. If you make
it so that it folds up then essentially it is "0" area.

If my wife read this I'd already be a building....

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(Note:displayed e-mail
address is a spam trap)

Further to the message above. Compare a "modern" sail boat with a
"sugar scoop" stern and a similar size boat with a swim platform.
About the same area exposed to waves....

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(Note:displayed e-mail
address is a spam trap)

On 2007-10-27 01:58:38 -0400, Bruce in Bangkok said:

One possible point - many marinas use overall length to calculate the
fees and a folding platform might save a bit of money in that case,

I *REALLY* like the idea of a folding platform. We have a transom
that'll take darned near anything -- it's 6' wide -- but when we're
motoring, the stern wave comes about a foot up. When we're cranking
under sail, I'm sure it comes higher, but I'm too busy to look back.

Having a swim platform more than a foot off the water just wouldn't
work well for us, and we love the idea of being only 28 feet long
despite our interior space.

I love Skip and Lydia's platform, but it *is* just a bit too high for
my purposes. [Hell, I love the boat and am VERY glad Pat hasn't seen
it.]

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 23:06:51 +0000, Glenn (s/v Seawing) wrote:

Hi! Looking to pick your brains a little. I am making some major
changes to my boat this year. Some of you think I'm nuts & that alot of
these changes are not necessary. I remind you that my wife is eager to
not. :-).

One of the additions we are looking for is the addition of a swim
platform. Our boat is a Gulfstar 41' Auxillary (the sailboat hull & not
the trawler hull). This vessel is a centre cockpit. We are looking to
build a swim platform on the stern as well as a fairly substantial
boarding ladder from the platform to deck level. I'd like the platform
to be fairly sturdy.

Please post your advise, observations & experience. I need to have some
ideas on design, construction methods & pitfalls I've not yet imagined.

Thanks all!

Go for it! After cruising with a swim platform for the last 8 summers, I
wouldn't be without one. The boat is a 50' center cockpit built in 1983,
one of the first to have a swim platform at all.

The platform itself is teak, with a sturdy outside ring and 3 supporting
"joists" made from "2x3" and "2x4" sized lumber, filled in with slats that
are about 1x1. All the major joints are through-bolted. The
whole thing is joined to the hull with 2 angle plates made from 3/8"
stainless. It's sturdy as can be, still perfect after 24 years of stern
ties and minor collisions. The boat weighs about 18 tons.

A similar construction should work well on your boat. It's strong where
it counts, and would be easier to build than a grid design. It's also
easy to maintain. We have the outer ring varnished and the slats
left bare, which provides good traction and looks great. I just scrub the
slats occasionally to keep them from getting too gray and dingy from the
exhaust, which exits underneath. After living with it, I think it's a lot
better than the grid or solid designs on most other boats, and it
certainly looks better.

I don't know about structural safety in large breaking waves, but is that
really an issue where you're cruising? I suppose you could mount it on
sturdy hinges and make it fold, but I wouldn't count on that if damaging
waves are an issue.

Matt O.

Several years ago we bought an Island Packet 37 to go cruising up and down
the East Coast. The IP 37 has a near vertical transom. We needed a swim
platform to get off and on the boat and into our dinghy with groceries,
laundry and especially our 40 lb sheltie.

I had a swim platform fabricated from 1-1/4" SS tubing, supported by two
arms from the outside of the platform up to the back side of the transom. I
installed teak slats inside the SS framing. It was built by a rigging shop
in Annapolis and wasn't cheap- about $3000 as I recall. But it worked great.

David

I am coming in late on this thread ...

We had a Tayana 37 and needed a way to get our dogs into the dinghy.
What I did was build a platform (2x3) and affixed lines on each
corner. The front and rear lines on each side ran to cleats on the toe
rail. This way we could adjust the height/angle of the platform to
match the dinghy. The dogs had no problem jumping on to the platform
then into the dinghy.

What we discovered was this platfrom made a great swim platform as
well. It could be lowered right to the waterline and made it easy to
get in and out of the water. When we were done using it we stowed it
in a lazerrete.

Jerry

"Gerald Atkin" wrote in message
I am coming in late on this thread ...

We had a Tayana 37 and needed a way to get our dogs into the dinghy.
What I did was build a platform (2x3) and affixed lines on each
corner. The front and rear lines on each side ran to cleats on the toe
rail. This way we could adjust the height/angle of the platform to
match the dinghy. The dogs had no problem jumping on to the platform
then into the dinghy.

What we discovered was this platfrom made a great swim platform as
well. It could be lowered right to the waterline and made it easy to
get in and out of the water. When we were done using it we stowed it
in a lazerrete.

Jerry

Sounds like a very interesting idea. Have any photos?

Glenn.
s/v Seawing.

How Useful is a Swim Platform Capt. Rob ASA 0 October 1st 07 12:48 PM
swim platform [email protected] Cruising 4 November 16th 06 05:34 PM
Fold down swim platform [email protected] ASA 5 January 2nd 06 11:52 PM
Swim Platform!! Bob Crantz ASA 0 November 1st 05 03:28 PM
Swim Platform Bill Custom Boat Building 1 May 19th 05 01:02 PM