posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Fold down swim platform

Discussion of Bob's swim platform got me thinking..........why not
build a fold down swim platform on a boat that does not have one? The
outboard ends could be held by cable that goes to eyebolts on the
transom. Yeah, it'd look like hell but I dont care.
I'd like to find out a little more about how swim platforms are used.
Under sail its nice to throw a rope off the back and get pulled along
but in some places you just feel like you are trollin fer sharks.
Maybe a swim platform would allow you to drag your feet to stay cool.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Thom Stewart

dbohara,

The "Beny" used the Swim Platform as a Cheap way to entend the hull. A
fold up would have a shorter water line and a shorter Hull wave. It
isn't made for "people use" under way and heeled.

That is why it is called a Swim Platform. For use when the Vessel is
moored at Anchor. You Swim to it; not after it! I don't think sitting
with you feet in the water at a 20 degree heel is what it was designed
for.

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

I agree. When I was in the BVI last, we had a chartered Athena 38. Even on a
minimally heeling boat such as this cat, sitting and dangling your feet in
the water was a bit scary for the women when the boat was doing 12 kts. I
kept asking them... was that a fin... just there... see it?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
dbohara,

The "Beny" used the Swim Platform as a Cheap way to entend the hull. A
fold up would have a shorter water line and a shorter Hull wave. It
isn't made for "people use" under way and heeled.

That is why it is called a Swim Platform. For use when the Vessel is
moored at Anchor. You Swim to it; not after it! I don't think sitting
with you feet in the water at a 20 degree heel is what it was designed
for.

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

posted to alt.sailing.asa
John Cairns

wrote in message
oups.com...
Discussion of Bob's swim platform got me thinking..........why not
build a fold down swim platform on a boat that does not have one? The
outboard ends could be held by cable that goes to eyebolts on the
transom. Yeah, it'd look like hell but I dont care.
I'd like to find out a little more about how swim platforms are used.
Under sail its nice to throw a rope off the back and get pulled along
but in some places you just feel like you are trollin fer sharks.
Maybe a swim platform would allow you to drag your feet to stay cool.

Have seen it, don't recall the model but IIRC it was around 50' and had a
reverse transom. The center of the transom folded out, hydraulically
operated probably, into a stair through the transom. Have it in one of my
sailing mags, will try to look it up and post a link. You could probably do
this on a smaller boat with a reverse transom but it would require a LOT of
fiberglass work, in practical terms you would have to be able to do the work
yourself.

John Cairns

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Have seen it, don't recall the model but IIRC it was around 50' and had
reverse transom.

The ignorance around here is astounding. Fold out platforms have been
around a LONG time. There's one on the C&C 34+ built in the 80s and the
XL.

RB
35s5
NY

Swim platforms: The Safer Boat by Design Capt. Rob ASA 36 January 2nd 06 10:50 PM
Swim Platform comments Capt. Rob ASA 0 December 30th 05 04:28 PM
Swim Platform Larger than Jones Beach! Bob Crantz ASA 0 December 30th 05 04:23 PM
Swim platform improves sail performance! Bob Crantz ASA 7 December 23rd 05 04:54 PM
Death by Swim Platform! Bob Crantz ASA 1 November 18th 05 07:02 PM