Jonathan

Default Yanmar 3GM raw water cooled?

I spent the past weekend working with Bruce Schwab on his wood, foam and
carbon fiber Open 60, Ocean Planet.

In preparation for the Vendee Globe in November, he is paring as much
weight from the boat as possible, and one thought is changing the Yanmar
3GM diesel to raw water cooling, thereby eliminating the second pump,
the heat exchanger tank, etc.

The coolant tank/heat exchanger appear to be part and parcel of the
exhaust manifold, and will not come apart.

He has been told that it is not possible to get a raw water manifold in
the US, as they are only imported with fresh water cooling.

In other parts of the world this engine is raw water cooled, and so the
question posed, is: does anybody reading this group know someone in the
UK or Australia, or anywhere, for that matter, who would assist in
locating a source for this part.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Glen \Wiley\ Wilson

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 00:42:35 GMT, Jonathan
wrote:

In other parts of the world this engine is raw water cooled, and so the
question posed, is: does anybody reading this group know someone in the
UK or Australia, or anywhere, for that matter, who would assist in
locating a source for this part.

If you don't get what you need, ask he
http://forums.torresen.com/eThreads/view/engines/

Very good source for info. I used to order all my parts from them
before Yanmar in their infinite wisdom decided not to allow me to
choose my provider. By the way, make sure you have the model number
correct (since it isn't your engine.) There is a 3GM, a 3GM30, a
3GM30C, and a 3GM30F. I'd be mildly surprised if the engine in
question isn't a 3GM30F. A quick look at my 3gm30 manual shows that
the kit for converting a raw water cooled engine to fresh water
cooling contains:

fresh water pump
sea water pump (don't know why)
cooling water pipe
heat exchanger (includes exhaust manifold)
subtank
thermostat assy (hotter stat and different cover)
fuel oil pipe assy (different shape, I think)
v-belt, gaskets, bolts, etc.

so you'll need more than just the manifold. I think you will need to
plug the bypass passage as well. Hope this helps.

Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at worldwidewiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, my NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at http://www.worldwidewiley.com/

Jonathan

Thanks Glen, I'll check that out.

The point here is weight saving, so he hopes to be rid of the exchanger
tank, the additional pump, etc.

As the engine is used for battery charging, we will need to install a
loop to recycle heated water through the engine, as the raw water in the
Southern Ocean would cause the engine to run a little too cool

thanks for your suggestion.

Jonathan

wrote:

[...]

Leanne

"Jonathan" wrote in message
Thanks Glen, I'll check that out.

The point here is weight saving, so he hopes to be rid of the

exchanger
tank, the additional pump, etc.

As the engine is used for battery charging, we will need to

install a
loop to recycle heated water through the engine, as the raw

water in the
Southern Ocean would cause the engine to run a little too cool

How practical is it to redesign the cooling system against the
cost and the few pounds of weight. Ok, we have a large budget so
cost not a factor, but would the weight gain be that great as you
are tossing out a recalculating system that works well in cold
waters to replace it with another system of almost the same type
to do the same thing. I realize that weight or the lack of in a
ULDB is critical, but IMHO, I don't think this is a good
solution.

Leanne

Jonathan

Actually, I was surprised to find there is no "large" budget. Ocean
Planet, and Bruce Schwab have no major title sponsor, as of yet.
Although there are a number of supplier sponsors, who have donated gear,
the marine industry is apparently not really large enough to have the
kind of excess cash often associated with American corporations. The
boat construction, and the Around Alone race were largely funded by
donations of $50-1,000.00 (some more) coming through the internet.

I met Bruce Schwab last weekend when I went up to Portland, Maine and
gave him two days of my labor. I spent the time grinding out stringers,
epoxy fillets and cutting out some mahogany knees (with a Sawmill) which
the designer, Tom Wylie, had said could be replaced with foam, for the
shape, and carbon fiber/epoxy, for strength.

If he had the bucks, the Yanmar would come out in place of a Nanni
diesel, which I understand is lighter.

Right now, the guy is working 10 hours a day on the boat, and spending
the evenings on the phone and emailing various leads in search of money.
It is interesting to watch a guy who is really dedicated to an idea work
toward it, and I offered to try and track down some options with regard
to the engine.

You can see the story at : http://www.bruceschwab.com if you're interested.

As I sail an Alberg 35, built in the days of really heavy fiberglass, I
too, don't quite "get" the chasing of ounces. After a few conversations
with Bruce, though, it's clear that, in that particular playing field,
its part of the game.

thanks,

Jonathan