Jonathan

Default Yanmar 3GM raw water cooled?

Actually, I was surprised to find there is no "large" budget. Ocean
Planet, and Bruce Schwab have no major title sponsor, as of yet.
Although there are a number of supplier sponsors, who have donated gear,
the marine industry is apparently not really large enough to have the
kind of excess cash often associated with American corporations. The
boat construction, and the Around Alone race were largely funded by
donations of $50-1,000.00 (some more) coming through the internet.

I met Bruce Schwab last weekend when I went up to Portland, Maine and
gave him two days of my labor. I spent the time grinding out stringers,
epoxy fillets and cutting out some mahogany knees (with a Sawmill) which
the designer, Tom Wylie, had said could be replaced with foam, for the
shape, and carbon fiber/epoxy, for strength.

If he had the bucks, the Yanmar would come out in place of a Nanni
diesel, which I understand is lighter.

Right now, the guy is working 10 hours a day on the boat, and spending
the evenings on the phone and emailing various leads in search of money.
It is interesting to watch a guy who is really dedicated to an idea work
toward it, and I offered to try and track down some options with regard
to the engine.

You can see the story at : http://www.bruceschwab.com if you're interested.

As I sail an Alberg 35, built in the days of really heavy fiberglass, I
too, don't quite "get" the chasing of ounces. After a few conversations
with Bruce, though, it's clear that, in that particular playing field,
its part of the game.

thanks,

Jonathan

Leanne wrote:
"Jonathan" wrote in message
Thanks Glen, I'll check that out.
The point here is weight saving, so he hopes to be rid of the

exchanger
tank, the additional pump, etc.
As the engine is used for battery charging, we will need to

install a
loop to recycle heated water through the engine, as the raw

water in the
Southern Ocean would cause the engine to run a little too cool

How practical is it to redesign the cooling system against the
cost and the few pounds of weight. Ok, we have a large budget so
cost not a factor, but would the weight gain be that great as you
are tossing out a recalculating system that works well in cold
waters to replace it with another system of almost the same type
to do the same thing. I realize that weight or the lack of in a
ULDB is critical, but IMHO, I don't think this is a good
solution.

Leanne