Default PerfectPitch prop from CDI

Anybody have experience with these? I am about to replace my fixed 3
bladed prop on my 8.5M S2. This looks like a potentially good
candidate replacement because they have already figured out which prop
works for a given boat and because they say they can put a larger prop
on with their "Extendo" system.
I am a little worried about the plastic of this prop not being able to
take my aggressive barnacle removal method. Is it easy enough to
remove that re-painting it every so-often works?
My old bronze prop has succumbed to corrosion and many impacts with
oyster beds and with a Laser mast in the water.

Now, one of the advantages of a 2 blade prop is that you can align it
with the keel for lower drag. How does one do this? Do you simply
mark the prop shaft inside the boat and then rotate it till your mark
is in the right place? This really seems like a PITA considering the
gawdawful engine installation on most boats. Even on my boat it
requires removing an engine panel and peering down into a dark space.
Is there any other system? Would the prop left in neutral auto-rotate
to the lowest drag position (I have never had a two blade prop so I
dont know) and stay?
Could I attach a magnet to the shaft so that it engages a magnetic
reed switch (non-contact) to tell me when it is in correct position?
Can you get it in correct position by "bumping" the start switch?

Frogwatch brought forth on stone tablets:
[...]

If you want the prop to *stay* lined up with the keel, you'll need a
shaft lock.

When you install the shaft lock, set it up so that the prop is properly
lined up with the lock engaged.

see http://www.shaftlok.com/

bob
s/v Eolian
Seattle

RW Salnick brought forth on stone tablets:
[...]

(stupidly replying to my own message)

Well, maybe your transmission doesn't freewheel... (I have a Borg
Warner Velvet Drive, which is kind of like an automatic - regardless of
the shift lever position, the output shaft freewheels when the engine is
not running).

If your transmission holds the shaft, then your suggestions seem like
good answers, if the shaft is inaccessible (doh! It's a SAILboat).

Beware of corrosion and salt spray from the stuffing box in whatever you
set up.

bob
s/v Eolian
Seattle

On Oct 15, 6:57 am, Frogwatch wrote:
...Now, one of the advantages of a 2 blade prop is that you can align it
with the keel for lower drag....

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the S2 8.5 is a fin keel, spade
rudder set-up with the prop just ahead of the rudder. In this case
there will seldom be any drag reduction advantage to aligning the
blades of the prop with the keel.

-- Tom.

On Oct 15, 10:10 am, Frogwatch wrote:
On Oct 15, 3:45 pm, " wrote:

On Oct 15, 6:57 am, Frogwatch wrote:

...Now, one of the advantages of a 2 blade prop is that you can align it
with the keel for lower drag....

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the S2 8.5 is a fin keel, spade
rudder set-up with the prop just ahead of the rudder. In this case
there will seldom be any drag reduction advantage to aligning the
blades of the prop with the keel.

-- Tom.

why not?

Because, unless the leeway angle is near zero the prop will not be in
the keel's wake. In cases where the prop is right behind the keel or
is in a cut-out in a two bladed prop can be hidden behind the keel or
skeg by aligning it. In your case the prop is a long way from the
keel and even a small amount of leeway will move it into the free
stream and in any case if the keel is well designed and in good
condition the wake two cord lengths back will be insignificant. So,
in your case alignment isn't likely to make a difference you can
measure most of the time. If you are concerned about drag I would
recommend a two bladed geared folding prop.

-- Tom.

On 2007-10-15 12:57:14 -0400, Frogwatch said:

Anybody have experience with these? I am about to replace my fixed 3
bladed prop on my 8.5M S2.

CDI really got my respect when they would NOT sell me one of those
blades because they hadn't yet gotten the numbers they advertise with
the blade they were developing for our engine.

Have you held one in your hand? A work of art.

I strongly believe that your experience with that prop will exceed
their promises. Take their recommendation of anti-growth system. And
get the biggest prop that will fit.

Don't bother trying to hide the prop behind the fin keel or strut. Just
stop it from turning some how.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 21:20:57 -0000, "
wrote:

If you are concerned about drag I would
recommend a two bladed geared folding prop.

The earliest screw propellor equipped ships had props you could raise
out of the water to avoid drag while under sail, which was nearly all
the time.

Casady

Frogwatch wrote:
[...]

Ever heard of a thing called paint? You can even mark a prop shaft with it.
I won't charge for this piece of wisdom as I learned it about fifty years
ago. (and the piant is still there!) You could easily fit a small glass
spyhole in the cockpit floor. However, some sailors would argue that
allowing the shaft to rotate in neutral causes less drag than locking it in
the upright position, particularly on a modern fin/skeg design.

Dennis.

Dennis.

On Oct 16, 4:29 am, "Dennis Pogson"
wrote:
Frogwatch wrote:
[...]

I appreciate y'alls advice, especially tsmwebb and Jere Lull. For
those who suggest a folding/feathering prop, I do not consider this to
really be an option due to the extreme fouling conditions I
encounter. A friend who works in a boat yard says most he sees are
too fouled to work around here. Cost is another issue for a boat that
is 27 yrs old.
tsmwebb points out that the flow is rarely directly fore and aft and I
admit this had never occurred to me, however, is he correct? If he is
correct, I would not expect a 3 bladed prop to cause much loss of
sailing speed.
As far as using paint and a sight glass as Pogson suggests, this was
my initial idea but drilling a hole in my cockpit floor for the sight
seems sacriligeous. I could easily rig up the magnet and reed switch
I described. However, how easy is it to stop a prop in a given
position unless you rotatre the shaft by hand? Can you "bump" it with
the starter to a given position? I cannot believe that most sailors
take off their engine cover to peer down at the prop shaft whenever
they sail to align the prop with the keel.

prop Chris General 8 September 26th 06 04:02 PM
'90 Sea Ray Prop Hit Don Dando General 0 August 18th 06 03:26 AM
Prop christopher krigbaum General 4 June 26th 04 01:07 PM
I got a used prop! Ree-Yees General 4 May 16th 04 01:16 AM
How to know what prop to get? Ree-Yees General 9 May 15th 04 01:57 AM