Skip Gundlach

Default Surveyors (was) Tampa/Ft. Lauderdale surveyors

Well, I've (on several Sailnet lists) gotten nothing but positive feedback
about the only two surveyors I've known about in FL, Pete Brown, and Rick
Shelley. In Pete's case, for a 46' boat, it's $19 a foot, including
climbing and inspecting masthead and attachments along with the rigging
everywhere. I don't have a price for Rick.

However, take a gander at http://www.nymarinesurveyor.com/index.html and
look at their samples, and their pricing (which *doesn't* include direct
inspection of any sticks or rigging off the deck).

I particularly like their documentation with photos and citations of regs
WRT any suggested stuff. Seems to me that this would be particularly
effective in negotiation after the survey, as it's not conjecture, or
subjective, but regulation. In looking at several of their samples, I see
that there's a fair amount of boilerplate (which is entirely appropriate for
duplicate circumstances or stuff which is background for each client). I
got a grin out of every one advocating subscribing to Good Old Boat and
Practical Sailor, and to purchase Don Casey's, Nigel Calder's, and a couple
of other boat books... Couple of questions:

Has anyone used them?

Has anyone used *other* surveyors who use this approach?

--
"And then again, when you sit at the helm of your little ship on a clear
night, and gaze at the countless stars overhead, and realize that you are