Skip Gundlach

Default Surveyors (in general)

Well, I've (on several Sailnet lists) gotten nothing but positive feedback
about the only two surveyors I've known about in FL, Pete Brown, and Rick
Shelley. In Pete's case, for a 46' boat, it's $19 a foot, including
climbing and inspecting masthead and attachments along with the rigging
everywhere. I don't have a price for Rick.

However, take a gander at http://www.nymarinesurveyor.com/index.html and
look at their samples, and their pricing (which *doesn't* include direct
inspection of any sticks or rigging off the deck).

I particularly like their documentation with photos and citations of regs
WRT any suggested stuff. Seems to me that this would be particularly
effective in negotiation after the survey, as it's not conjecture, or
subjective, but regulation. In looking at several of their samples, I see
that there's a fair amount of boilerplate (which is entirely appropriate for
duplicate circumstances or stuff which is background for each client). I
got a grin out of every one advocating subscribing to Good Old Boat and
Practical Sailor, and to purchase Don Casey's, Nigel Calder's, and a couple
of other boat books... Couple of questions:

Has anyone used them?

Has anyone used *other* surveyors who use this approach?

L8R

Skip (and Lydia, by proxy)

--
"And then again, when you sit at the helm of your little ship on a clear
night, and gaze at the countless stars overhead, and realize that you are

Rufus

IMHO...

If you already know for sure a surveyor anywhere in the U.S. that you
truly respect, it will pay to fly him in and cover lodging and expenses
as needed. There are lots of good surveyors (I assume), but they are not
a high percentage of those advertising as such. I was extremely
disappointed in the survey I received from a "certified" professional
when I bought my boat. The boat has been fine, but the price should have
been considerably lower based in many simple items I now know to look at.

If I were buying a boat anywhere in the U.S. or Canada, particlularly a
wooden boat, I would give Kent Parker in Sausilito a call and see what
he'd be open to. However, as I said, I'm sure that are many qualified
people and it just takes a lot of talking around to fine which names
keep coming to the top.

If you need to consider a rigging report separate or additional, I
believe Brion Toss (sp?) offers an out-of-town package for rigging
surveys, and although he has a "shameless commerce division" that would
put Click 'n' Clack to shame, everything I've heard about him and seen
of his reports is very good. You can contact him at his website.

Best luck. Rufus

Terry Spragg

Rufus wrote:

[...]

Well, my feeling is that if the guy shows up in a suit, fire him
on the spot. Dirty coveralls, hard hat, boots, with a headlamp
and checklist would inflame my torch. Last guy I hired was
certified and all, and mine was a crummy old f/g toyboat 29'
Tylercraft, but he never mentioned deck rot, or illegal sewers
(in some areas). Thank God and my eyes, everything else was not
too bad, except the engine, and we got no blisters. Well, I mean,
at least it hasn't sunk us yet. Sheesh!

Not as bad, but like the guy who did a home inspection on a
property we eventually bought, he didn't really do us any good.
This house fellow was 'not used to' mobile homes. Wassa use? It's
only for the insurance paperwork, right? Liability coverage for
small craft normally parked in your back yard is included in many
home policies. If you can't afford to lose it, you shouldn't buy
it. If you can't kick a thru hull yourself, or don't know why you
should, you should stay ashore, Billy.

Oooh, I've gotta quit now. The urge to vent is rising in my
breast. Have mercy.
--
Terry K - My email address is MY PROPERTY, and is protected by
copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce it is