Default Can a PC live on the boat with me?

On Oct 1, 7:58 am, Andy wrote:
The link points to old logs from a family that did it for around 4 years.

http://www.oceanpilot.com/outsideonline/950906.html

There is detailed info in one of the logs about the equipment they used
at the time.

This logs talks about a guy that had an IBM mainframe in his boat.

http://www.oceanpilot.com/outsideonline/960616.html

pete wrote:
Hi folks --

I make my living developing software and I would like to install a PC
with fast Internet connectivity on a !~40'-LOA ketch. That way, I can
(maybe) live aboard and still indulge my hobby and vocation.

How stupid is this idea? Could it ever work?

Thanks!

-- Pete

We have been living and cruising the Indian Ocean and Australia for 7
years. Have a laptop and desktop on board. The laptop is run via a
switch mode power supply that generates up to 22V DC. No 240VAC whilst
we are cruising and need the computer on for navigational purposes.
Had a fire on board from 240V in storm conditions so will not use at
sea. The desktop is for use in marinas etc via WiFi.

Tony

How stupid is this idea? Could it ever work?
Take a look at the boatdesign.net WIKI at:
http://www.boatdesign.net/wiki/Onboard_Computers
There is on ongoing discussion started at:
http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19458

This is mostly aimed at cruising use, with good in-port and at-anchor
capabilities.

When you have some experience with broadband aboard, please drop in
there and share what you've learned! Thanks...

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 07:01:54 -0700, "
wrote:

When you have some experience with broadband aboard, please drop in
there and share what you've learned! Thanks...

I have a lot of experience. What do you want to know?

(Currently at anchor in the Chester River, MD)