BoatBanter.com

-   -   Can a PC live on the boat with me? (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/86674-can-pc-live-boat-me.html)

pete September 30th 07 05:07 AM

Can a PC live on the boat with me?

Hi folks --

I make my living developing software and I would like to install a PC
with fast Internet connectivity on a !~40'-LOA ketch. That way, I can
(maybe) live aboard and still indulge my hobby and vocation.

How stupid is this idea? Could it ever work?

Thanks!

-- Pete

cavelamb himself[_4_] September 30th 07 05:24 AM

pete wrote:

Hi folks --

I make my living developing software and I would like to install a PC
with fast Internet connectivity on a !~40'-LOA ketch. That way, I can
(maybe) live aboard and still indulge my hobby and vocation.

How stupid is this idea? Could it ever work?

Thanks!

-- Pete

That's about the same stupid idea I keep coming back to.

My S.O. does medical transcription.
All she needs is a computer and a high speed net line.

We have about 8 months left on our lease here.

And that stupid idea keeps coming back around...

-- Richard

Wayne.B September 30th 07 05:36 AM

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 21:07:59 -0700, pete wrote:

I make my living developing software and I would like to install a PC
with fast Internet connectivity on a !~40'-LOA ketch. That way, I can
(maybe) live aboard and still indulge my hobby and vocation.

How stupid is this idea? Could it ever work?

It can definitely be done, the technology is available.

You can get connected either via WiFi, commonly available, sometimes
at a price, sometimes free; or via a broadband cellular service such
as Verizon's or Nextel's EVDO network. I use a combination of both
depending on what is available in the port we are in.

The other requirement is a stable source of AC power, even for a
laptop. The choices are an inverter, generator, shore power or some
combination of the above.

In my experience you need a fairly crisp and dependable WiFi
connection to do consistent, professional quality work. EVDO is good
but it is still not where you'd like it - long ping latency and
inconsistent quality of service being my main gripes.

cavelamb himself[_4_] September 30th 07 05:51 AM

Wayne.B wrote:

[...]

It would HAVE to be dependable as she works eight hours a day + some OT.
AC power and NET both kinda indicate hard wires at the slip.
Verizon FIOS has been really good (thus far anyway).

I don't think she would be able to work while under weigh.

AND, she can bounce around through different services.
Security issues involved in medical records...

Richard

Bob September 30th 07 06:54 AM

On Sep 29, 9:07 pm, pete wrote:
Hi folks --

I make my living developing software and I would like to install a PC
with fast Internet connectivity on a !~40'-LOA ketch. That way, I can
(maybe) live aboard and still indulge my hobby and vocation.

How stupid is this idea? Could it ever work?
Thanks!
-- Pete

HI Peat,
This is BraindeadBob......

I use a Verizon "Rev A Broadband aircard in my laptop. I too make a
living typing. While security is not an issue with my stuff up load
speed is. I also simply got tired hunting for wifi hot spots.

The service I get downloads about 500 kbs - 1.2 mbs. Typically about
600-900 kbs.
My upload speed averages abot 135 kbs. +

This is an improvment over the older card I had. Up load speed on that
averaged 40.0 kbs and download speed was
300-500 kbs

Great tech service.

Iv traveled all over the PNW and coverage is abot 98%. One interesting
thing I found was that many one horse towns have this Broadband
service.

Cost:
phone plan $39.99
digital phone card $59.99
Figure $120/month

Im happy with it but want more speed for less price. May in a couple
years..........
Bob

Richard Casady September 30th 07 07:02 AM

Can a PC live on the boat with me?

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 21:07:59 -0700, pete wrote:

Hi folks --

I make my living developing software and I would like to install a PC
with fast Internet connectivity on a !~40'-LOA ketch. That way, I can
(maybe) live aboard and still indulge my hobby and vocation.

How stupid is this idea? Could it ever work?

They make a marine radar that plugs into a PC. It has no display or
controls of its own. I believe PC's on boats are not all that rare.
Its not like they need a lot of power or space. I am not sure what you
do for a high speed connection at a marina. I have only dialup myself.

Casady

Dick Locke September 30th 07 09:30 AM

Can a PC live on the boat with me?

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 21:07:59 -0700, pete wrote:

Hi folks --

I make my living developing software and I would like to install a PC
with fast Internet connectivity on a !~40'-LOA ketch. That way, I can
(maybe) live aboard and still indulge my hobby and vocation.

How stupid is this idea? Could it ever work?

Thanks!

-- Pete

You didn't say what country you are in but I gather from the replies
that you are in the U.S. Most marinas on the West coast all the way
down to Ixtapa Mexico have wifi at the dock. Some have ethernet, some
have cable connections.I'd get a Hawking parabolic receiver, can't
remember the number, but it helps a lot with wifi

If the marina doesn't have wifi, there is usually a leaky network you
can piggyback into.

In Mexico, the cruiser hangout bars in LaCruz and Zihua have installed
fairly powerful transmitters for anchored boats.

Marc Heusser September 30th 07 10:39 AM

Can a PC live on the boat with me?

In article . com,
pete wrote:

I make my living developing software and I would like to install a PC
with fast Internet connectivity on a !~40'-LOA ketch. That way, I can
(maybe) live aboard and still indulge my hobby and vocation.

How stupid is this idea? Could it ever work?

Sure, why not?

Issues:
- Power - stable power from inverter or land line - or use a laptop with
its built in buffer battery :-)
- fast internet connection - depends on where you are and what services
you can access
- personal contact with clients: telephone, ip phone/video may help, but
not replace it

HTH

Marc

--
Switzerland/Europe
http://www.heusser.com

Glenn \(s/v Seawing\)[_13_] September 30th 07 09:28 PM

Can a PC live on the boat with me?

"pete" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi folks --

I make my living developing software and I would like to install a PC
with fast Internet connectivity on a !~40'-LOA ketch. That way, I can
(maybe) live aboard and still indulge my hobby and vocation.

How stupid is this idea? Could it ever work?

Thanks!

-- Pete

Which? Is it a stupid idea or could it work? Alot of our friends back home
think that much of what we do is a stupid idea...but it sure works for us!
I bet you'll find that many, many (most) long-term cruisers use an onboard
PC to one extent or another. There are some logistics but no-doubt the
high-speed internet will be the issue & this will depend on where you plan
on cruising? Do you plan to live at a dock in the USA or cruise the S.
Pacific? The first will be no-problem, the second...well, more challenging.

Glenn.
s/v Seawing.

Andy October 1st 07 12:58 AM

Can a PC live on the boat with me?

The link points to old logs from a family that did it for around 4 years.

http://www.oceanpilot.com/outsideonline/950906.html

There is detailed info in one of the logs about the equipment they used
at the time.

This logs talks about a guy that had an IBM mainframe in his boat.

http://www.oceanpilot.com/outsideonline/960616.html