Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Is a bell required?

On Sep 24, 10:18 am, Vic Smith
wrote:
... Second all of that.
Personally, I wouldn't trust anybody but the CG inspectors on a
question like this. They enforce the law as it's enforced, not as
it's written. Even then, you may get different interpretations. ...

Too true. I removed my original post because contrary to what I had
been told a close reading of the current rules suggest that for INLAND
use the bell is still required... However, the bell is no longer on
the vessel safety check and a bit of research gave me this (http://
safetyseal.net/what_is_vsc.asp) for a "virtual safety check" where
they say:

quote

Item 8 - Sound Producing Devices / Bell:

To comply with Navigation Rules and for distress signaling purposes
all boats must carry a sound producing device (whistle, horn, siren,
etc.) capable of a 4-second blast audible for ½ mile. *Boats larger
than 39.4 ft. are also required to have a bell (see Navigation Rules.)

*Under a recent change, a vessel 12 meters (39.4 ft) to less than 20
meters (65 ft) is no longer required to carry a bell on board.

The Coast Guard said: "The bottom-line, a bell is no longer required
on a vessel less than 20 meters in length. That of course means a bell
is not required for those same vessels for successful completion of a
VSC."

end quote

Mind you, how hard is it to stow a 200mm bell on a 50 foot yacht?

-- Tom.