No Name

Default Is a bell required?

wrote in message
ups.com...
Your bell must be EXACTLY the right pitch too. If it is just a little
off, you get massive fines. HOWEVER, if you send the bell and $500,
we will test the bell and tell you if it is ok.

Hey, I've got a better deal! Since the bell isn't required just send
me $500 and I'll tell you it is ok. That saves you postage!

-- Tom.

It is a very good question.
Especially, with today's navigational equipment available to the pleasure
boaters
in Canada, for pleasure craft greater than 39 feet and not greater than 65
feet in length.
A sound signalling device is require.
As for the specifications of this device see the Canadian collision
regulation:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/acts-regulations...ml#ANNEX%20III

--Denis

Here's a direct link to the sound signal specification:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/acts-regulations...a14.html#ANNEX
III

-- Denis

wrote in message
wrote in message
[...]

Just to share this information, you may already know about it.
I just purchased an extra signal horn similar to the one already on board
and inspected by the Canadian Guard Guard in Aug. 2007
Its made in the US see
http://www.falconsignalhorns.com/def...spx?pageid=304.
It states that it meets the US Coast Guard and can be heard up to 1 mile
away.
So I one can heard a bell from 1 mile away it could pass the safety
inspection??
A bell does not have to be refilled witn compressed gas safe for ozone and
if maintain in good shape will operate at all time. In the Bay of Fundy
pleasure crafts and commercial fishermen do not rely on a bells for
navigation in the fog. Current navigational aids and fog horn are used
I would get some compress gas signal horns and keep the bell as a back up.

Bob Bob is offline

On Sep 24, 1:29 pm, " wrote:

The Coast Guard said: "The bottom-line, a bell is no longer required
on a vessel less than 20 meters in length. That of course means a bell
is not required for those same vessels for successful completion of a
VSC."

Mind you, how hard is it to stow a 200mm bell on a 50 foot yacht?

-- Tom.

Dear Tom and others.............

Dont go ringing your bell as if you were a vessel over 20m. Why???
Cause people are going to think youre a vessel over 20m and manouver
as if. ALl the light and sound signals have a specific message. Dont
be saying/showing one thing and be anouther.

Bob

On Sep 24, 3:02 pm, Bob wrote:
... Dont go ringing your bell as if you were a vessel over 20m. Why???
Cause people are going to think youre a vessel over 20m. ...

Having blundered around with the rule changes several times today I'm
reluctant to jump in again but it seems to me that if you have a bell
or something that makes a bell sound then you should use it if you are
over 12m just like you used to before 2003. For INTERNATIONAL waters
33 and 35 no longer require the bell for 12-20 meters and allow the
substitution of some other sound signal. I think that the wording
"not be obligated ... however, if she does not" in 35, implies that
the bell is still allowed or even preferred. As written, the INLAND
rules still REQUIRES the bell under rules 33 and 35 for 12 meters in
the USA, but I have it from several sources, some of them usually
reliable, that the Coast Guard is enforcing the INTERNATIONAL version
of rules 33 and 35 even INLAND. However, only the USGG can make the
determination of what the rule is in US waters. To get a definitive
answer the OP will have to ask them.

-- Tom.

... However, only the USGG can make the
determination of what the rule is in US waters. To get a definitive
answer the OP will have to ask them. ...

You may ask them he http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/misc/NIS_contact_us.htm

-- Tom.

On Sep 24, 4:28 pm, " wrote:
... However, only the USGG can make the
determination of what the rule is in US waters. To get a definitive
answer the OP will have to ask them. ...

You may ask them hehttp://www.navcen.uscg.gov/misc/NIS_contact_us.htm

-- Tom.

And, to reply to my post again, I did check and they said you still
need a bell. So I was wrong. Again. The quote follows:

Greetings:

I understand there has been some confusion concerning the requirement
for a bell and the sounding of it. Our interpretation of Rule 33
Inland is based on checking with our Maritime and International Law
office. My office posed the following question after the change was
made to COLREGS that vessels 12 meters or more but less than 20 meters
no longer require a bell.
How does Inland Rule 1(b)(ii) apply? For example a 15 meter vessel
constructed to per International regs does not need a bell. Now that
vessel wants to operate in US Inland waters where Inland Rules apply.
Does it need a bell?
The answer is: Yes, until the Inland Rules are changed (and currently
they are statutory), a vessel that operates on waters subject to those
rules must comply with those rules, not withstanding that I doesn't
have to be equipped with a bell when it is on COLREGs waters.
While the manufacturer does not need to ensure that the vessel is
constructed with a bell, the operator is responsible to sound the
appropriate sound signals per Inland Rules.
As a side note, while COLREGS eliminated the bell, the COLREGS do
state:
(i) A vessel of 12 meters or more but less than 20 meters in length
shall not be obliged to give the bell signals prescribed in paragraphs
(g) and (h) of this Rule. However, if she does not, she shall make
some other efficient sound signal at intervals of not more than 2
minutes.
The vessel is still required on COLREGs to provide some kind of sound
signal.

We hope this addresses your inquiry. In our continuing efforts to
provide service to the public, please inform us if this answer was
helpful.

Sincerely,

USCG Navigation Center
Navigation Information Service
7323 Telegraph Rd.
Alexandria, VA 22315
Tel: 703-313-5900
Website: www.navcen.uscg.go

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 02:12:19 -0000, "
wrote:

[...]

In truth the only boat that I have ever heard using a bell in the fog
is the Staten Island ferry. The small bells used on most pleasure
boats are virtually inaudible over engine noise in my experience.
There's really nothing like a good air horn if you want to be heard.

The only time I've ever been boarded/inspected by USCG was several
years ago on inland waters. They had no interest in the bell at all.
Their hot buttons that day were life preservers, throwable device,
fire extinguishers, horn and documents.