Default Lectrasan Lid broken!

Had the boat since last Feb. Sailed her to NOLA and the Lectrasan in the
aft head was new to me, so I used the mechanical forward head.

Got back home and decided to read the Lectrasan manual to find out how
it operates. I Flushed and Pumped and thought 'Hey, that's neat!' until
I noticed a back flow into the pan, and also squeezing out through the
intake pipe even though there's a pair of clips. So today I opened up
the closet that the Lectrasan sits in. And saw the lid had been cracked
all along one edge.

I am assuming that the out-pump isn't working due to no pressure,
although both pumps actually rotate? Is this how the second pump works
(create pressure)? It isn't emptying the second chamber, just froths it
up! I cannot find an external vent (The pipes go up toward the deck but
there is no way (short of an endoscope) that I can see how it vents.
There is nothing on the outside at all, or in the nearby cubby for the
propane bottles.

Is it worthwhile repairing? (New Lid and gasket plus labor) or a new
unit?

Molesworth wrote:

Got back home and decided to read the Lectrasan manual to find out how
it operates. I Flushed and Pumped and thought 'Hey, that's neat!' until
I noticed a back flow into the pan, and also squeezing out through the
intake pipe even though there's a pair of clips. So today I opened up
the closet that the Lectrasan sits in. And saw the lid had been cracked
all along one edge.

That's easy to fix...call Raritan--800-352-5630 x 6 and order a new lid
and gasket.

I am assuming that the out-pump isn't working due to no pressure,
although both pumps actually rotate?

I think you need to read the manual again...'cuz you still haven't
figured out how it works. There is no "out pump"...no pump at all in the
L/S, in fact...it discharges by overflowing out a thru-hull that SHOULD
be below waterline. If it doesn't, you might want to find out whether
that thru-hull is open. It needs power...so if you have a manual toilet,
you'll have to push the button to start it--and may also have to turn on
the breaker for it first.

Is this how the second pump works
(create pressure)? It isn't emptying the second chamber, just froths it
up! I cannot find an external vent (The pipes go up toward the deck but
there is no way (short of an endoscope) that I can see how it vents.

It doesn't vent, because it's a flow through device, not a tank...so it
doesn't need a vent. I suggest you call Raritan (the mfr) tech support:
800-352-5630 x 6. Ask for Vic Willman--or email him
....he's the tech support manager and has been there 30+ years. He can
explain all you need to know about every version of the Lectra/San ever
made.

Is it worthwhile repairing? (New Lid and gasket plus labor) or a new
unit?

A new lid and gasket, definitely yes. I don't think you need a new unit,
but if it's old enough to still have the old "stove timer" dial
controller, you'll prob'ly want to replace it with a state of the art
controller.

Meanwhile, stop using that toilet...'cuz flushing solids and/or TP
without running it will clog it...running it without enough salt or low
voltage can do serious damage to it.
--
Peggie
----------

Molesworth wrote:

[...]

The pressure the toilet pump creates is what pushes the material through
the Lectrasan, so it doesn't need a pump.

If you like the idea of no pump outs, no stink, no hassle with ****
water ever, I recommend having a Lectrasan. I got a courtesy inspection
from the Coast Guard and when I said I had a Lectrasan that was good
enough for them.

Stephen

In article ,
Peggie Hall wrote:

Molesworth wrote:

I am assuming that the out-pump isn't working due to no pressure,
although both pumps actually rotate?

I think you need to read the manual again...'cuz you still haven't
figured out how it works. There is no "out pump"...no pump at all in the
L/S, in fact...it discharges by overflowing out a thru-hull that SHOULD
be below waterline.

So how does the minced poop get pushed up the outflow and down to the
thru-hull if not by a pump? (I may be confusing 'pump' with 'motor'
(There are two, and both work) One of them must create the pressure
needed to 'push' the stuff up the pipe.

If it doesn't, you might want to find out whether
that thru-hull is open.

How does one do that? Disconnect the hose and open the gate (Carefully)
I suppose?

It needs power...so if you have a manual toilet,
you'll have to push the button to start it--and may also have to turn on
the breaker for it first.

Toilet is electric and works on a button, just after switching the
Lectrasan on to 'Flush' and holding it in for 8 secs.

It doesn't vent, because it's a flow through device, not a tank...so it
doesn't need a vent. I suggest you call Raritan (the mfr) tech support:
800-352-5630 x 6. Ask for Vic Willman--or email him
...he's the tech support manager and has been there 30+ years. He can
explain all you need to know about every version of the Lectra/San ever
made.

Thats a definite for the morning!

A new lid and gasket, definitely yes. I don't think you need a new unit,
but if it's old enough to still have the old "stove timer" dial
controller, you'll prob'ly want to replace it with a state of the art
controller.

I do have the older 270 deg switch unit. Seems to be working fine tho.

Meanwhile, stop using that toilet...'cuz flushing solids and/or TP
without running it will clog it...running it without enough salt or low
voltage can do serious damage to it.

Will do, and thank you so much Ms Hall.

--
Molesworth

In article ,
NoSeeUm wrote:

We had a new through hull seacock installed on the outlet of our
Lesctrasan.
First day of the season I opened the inlet seacock and strated pumping.
Bang! The cover shattered. I had forgotten to make sure the new outlet
seacock was open. That toilet pump can build plenty of pressure. I fixed
it
with liberal quantities of Marinetex and there has been no leakage.

We have the stove timer control. Works fine.

I have followed Peggys advice and spoken to Mt Willmans at Lectrasan.

Have ordered a new lid ($128.00) and gasket ($28.00).

Looking at the WSM it looks a simple but longwinded exercise to replace
it all, but I take your point making sure the thro-hull is open! (It is).

One thing, Peggy is right about the device not having any pumps. It is a
displacement system - water (from flush pump) pushed soil in and
displacement forces it out the thro-hull.

The motors are purely for mincing.

:-)

--
Molesworth

Question: LectraSan heads [email protected] ASA 8 August 1st 06 03:14 AM
My boat is Broken! Capt. Rob ASA 0 June 27th 06 11:32 AM
prop broken Chris General 4 May 6th 05 01:27 AM
Remote battery for Lectrasan ? Sven General 7 December 13th 03 05:31 PM
Need some broken old winches Jeff Stander General 6 December 2nd 03 05:21 AM