Jeff Stander

Default Need some broken old winches

Hi,

I need a couple of busted winches for the Harken "trade-in" program. If
anybody has any I'll pay the shipping + ten bucks. Any size is OK. Please
help if you have a couple.

Thanks

Jeff

Write me directly at: "js @ svbeatrix. us" (remove the spaces).

Wayne.B

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:14:07 -0800, "Jeff Stander" js @ svbeatrix.us
wrote:

I'll pay the shipping + ten bucks.

=============================

Ten bucks each ?

Jeff Stander

Within hours of putting up this post I got a fistful of VIRUSES sent to me.
I still need some old winches, but have deleted the email address I was
using. Please, I still need some winches. If you have some please go to the
web site http://www.svbeatrix.us and contact me through the email address on
the home page, or call me at 1 800 945 7375.

Best regards

Jeff

"Jeff Stander" js @ svbeatrix.us wrote in message
Hi,

I need a couple of busted winches for the Harken "trade-in" program. If
anybody has any I'll pay the shipping + ten bucks. Any size is OK.

Please
help if you have a couple.

Thanks

Jeff

Write me directly at: "js @ svbeatrix. us" (remove the spaces).

Mark

I need a couple of busted winches for the Harken "trade-in" program.

Don't know about Seattle but down here we have "Yacht Surplus"
junkyards (Minney's, for example) that usually have a few seriously
busted winches available. You'll pay more than ten bucks for one just
for the scrap metal (aluminum or bronze) value, though. And even the
seriously busted ones have a gear or two in them worth more than ten
bucks.

I think you're dreamin'.

Mark

Our sailing buddy Jeff decided to take this off newsgroup and go one
on one by email. Kinda ticks me off, as I thought I gave him good
advice, i.e., people probably won't mail you used winches for ten
bucks each plus postage. Here's the off line email dialogue:

From: "Jeff Stander"
Subject: Need some broken old winches
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 17:28:58 -0800

Yes,

We have "junkyards" too. But the prices are simply absurd - hundreds

of
dollars for non self-tailing winches available on ebay for a 100

bucks.

So you think I'm "dreamin'", eh. Yes I suppose it was too much to

hope
that
somebody would have an old winch in their workshop to help out a

fellow
sailor. It's not like they are going to get more than $10 for it at

their
friendly marine junkyard. And it's not really about the ten bucks,

Mark,
but I guess you and the others who responded with their febrile

comments
didn't quite realize that. I've kinda had it with this newsgroup,

frankly.

JS

From: "Jeff Stander"
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 18:13:49 -0800

Who needs negativity?

I have six winches so far.

What exactly was the benefit of your comment? Either people would

help me
or they won't.

Best of Luck to you.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++

Hard to tell based on verb tense, but apparently Jeff's saying this
newsgroup he's "had it with" coughed up six winches at the ten bucks a
pop deal. If so, I stand corrected and the world is more rose colored
than I imagine. Oddly, his website at
"http://www.svbeatrix.us/Refit/Deck/WinchReplacement.htm" makes no
mention of turning in used winches obtained from a Google newsgroup
request as part of the Harken deal. Would be quite an attaboy for
"us" if so.

I think it didn't happen. End of story, point bein' keep it on line,
folks.