posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Question: LectraSan heads

What are the advantages?
What are the disadvantages?
What are the thru-hull and other unquie requirements for such heads?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote:
What are the advantages?
What are the disadvantages?
What are the thru-hull and other unquie requirements for such heads?

Do you really want a toilet that's worth more than your boat?

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message
ups.com...
What are the advantages?
What are the disadvantages?
What are the thru-hull and other unquie requirements for such heads?

http://www.raritaneng.com/products/toilets/index.html

You can get the official line on what these guys claim. I know someone that
had an electric head on their boat, they weren't fond of it, claimed it was
very noisy. Not to mention expensive.

John Cairns

posted to alt.sailing.asa

You can get the official line on what these guys claim. I know someone
that
had an electric head on their boat, they weren't fond of it, claimed it
was
very noisy. Not to mention expensive.

Electric heads work great. Had one on the C&C 32 and never a problem.
Yes, makes noise...does anyone have a silent toilet? How long do you
reckon John holds that handle down? It's still a better head than the
boat it's destined for...doesn't belong in a lowly Cat 28 either.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...
doesn't belong in a lowly Cat 28 either.

RB
35s5
NY

Well, bubbles, if your sailing accomplishments amounted to more than
claiming to own "four boats in the last 13 years", might take your comments
to heart. As it is, think you need to climb that "steep learning curve" a
little more. At your current rate of progress, let's say another 50 years or
so.

Bwahahahahahhahhahahhahahhahahhahahahahhahaha

John Cairns

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Hey.. you might want to ask Peggy Hall on rec.boats.cruising. She's the
defacto expert.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

wrote in message
ups.com...
What are the advantages?
What are the disadvantages?
What are the thru-hull and other unquie requirements for such heads?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

I used one for about 10 days. Seemed to work fine. It got jammed because
someone put the wrong thing in it, and the fix seemed pretty simple
(although I didn't do it).

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

oups.com...

wrote in message
ups.com...
What are the advantages?
What are the disadvantages?
What are the thru-hull and other unquie requirements for such heads?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

wrote
What are the advantages?

An Electra-San is a device for killing bacteria in the flush
water from the head. It's not actually a head. The advantage
is that this treated flush water is relatively safe (still
not ecologically benign) and legal to discharge in many
areas. This means a smaller holding, less pupm-outs, and a
less yucky anchorage in those lovely remote tropical paradises.

What are the disadvantages?

It's expensive, it uses a lot of electricity, it's not legal
to dishcarge a lot of places, and it's reliability is not 100%

What are the thru-hull and other unquie requirements for such heads?

Same as any other head, pretty much, with the addition of
wiring, the extra battery capacity (not much really is
required), and studing how to install the device properly.

If you use one in fresh water, you need an extra attachment
to add salt.

John Cairns wrote:
http://www.raritaneng.com/products/toilets/index.html

You can get the official line on what these guys claim. I know someone that
had an electric head on their boat, they weren't fond of it, claimed it was
very noisy. Not to mention expensive.

I'll give you very good odds that they had one that was
either a poor conversion (adding an electric pump to a
regular head) or one that was installed poorly. The newer
electric flush models are awesome, they use little flush
water (thus allowing longer "hang time" on the same capacity
holding tank), and they're very easy to use (thus
eliminating the possibility of sinking the boat because
somebody didn't open/close the right valves in the right
sequence).

We installed a relatively new model electric head last year
and it's very nice. It's also quiet... the fresh water pump
is louder than the macerator/pump built into the head.

Fresh whatever- Doug King