Default A word to the wisew...on Garmin

I called Garmin Support today to discuss a recurring problem I have
with a new chart plotter. Seems the screen has a delicate, oh so
delicate film placed on it to improve readability in daylight, (which
is a problem with Garmin)...The coating had spots on it ......assumed
water or salt so I washed it with Windex and wiped with a paper
towel.....This destroyed the screen coating, null and voided the
warranty. Their cleaning solution is Distilled water and micro fiber
cloth only on the screen...sounds well suited for the marine
environment, don't you think? What happens when the waves come in...the
rain falls or heaven to Betsy get soap and water on it when washing of
the beer and pretzels that have stuck to it over the weekend...I started
with Garmin's 210 series great...big screeen readable charts
dependable..now it's small screens, bad charts and delicate

Gamin's business interest have shifted and now putting out cheap auto
GPS units helping lost soles find the closest Wendy's....is the priority

"Chris" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Garmin's time as a viable marine product has come and gone as of two or
three years ago. Switch to Lowrance who is still concentrating on the
marine market. Better price, better features, better technology, better
computer interfacing, better all around.

Garmin has discovered the ignorant motorist has the deeper pockets and
the lower standards.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 16:49:40 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

Garmin's time as a viable marine product has come and gone as of two or
three years ago. Switch to Lowrance who is still concentrating on the
marine market. Better price, better features, better technology, better
computer interfacing, better all around.

Or better yet switch to Furuno, the almost universal choice of
professional fisherman who rely on their equipment everyday. Furuno
has the best daytime visibility of all manufacturers, highly
waterproof and very reliable.

On 2007-09-06 16:49:40 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
said:

Garmin's time as a viable marine product has come and gone as of two or
three years ago. Switch to Lowrance who is still concentrating on the
marine market. Better price, better features, better technology, better
computer interfacing, better all around.

Garmin has discovered the ignorant motorist has the deeper pockets and
the lower standards.

Wilbur Hubbard

OhMyGosh, I read this and *instantly* thought "better stay well away
from Lowrance".

Wilbur, you've become my anti-"Practical Sailor", despite my trying
deal with you as someone with *some* skill....

I suspect this will get a blast reply, but I likely won't see it for a
couple of weeks, as we're out for the next week or two if work
cooperates. (I scheduled off for this week and next back in March, but
some else's lack of planning became my emergency last Friday. Pulled
off yet another miracle in 3 days.)

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

On 2007-09-06 16:49:40 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
said:

[...]

It had always been my impression that Lowrance were low end
instruments - the kind people who didn't know much about boating
purchased solely due to price; rather then performance.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

Default A word to the wise... SOME USERS ARE IDIOTS

"Chris" wrote in message
so I washed it with Windex and wiped with a paper towel....
This destroyed the screen coating, null and voided the
warranty.

Cripes, what an idiot. Anyone with half a brain knows not to use Windex
anywhere near a boat. That and never to use paper towels on a plastic
screen. You screwed up on both counts. Now you want to blame Garmin? No
way. If anything you better hope they offer some sort of decent refurb
program to 'clean up' your blunder.

"Bill Kearney" wkearney-99@hot-mail-com wrote in message
t...

"Chris" wrote in message
so I washed it with Windex and wiped with a paper towel....
This destroyed the screen coating, null and voided the
warranty.

Cripes, what an idiot. Anyone with half a brain knows not to use Windex
anywhere near a boat. That and never to use paper towels on a plastic
screen. You screwed up on both counts. Now you want to blame Garmin? No
way. If anything you better hope they offer some sort of decent refurb
program to 'clean up' your blunder.

As for distilled water, it should be aboard anyway for topping off
batteries.

Bob Bob is offline

On Sep 6, 6:30 pm, Wayne.B wrote:
On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 16:49:40 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"

Or better yet switch to Furuno, the almost universal choice of
professional fisherman who rely on their equipment everyday. Furuno
has the best daytime visibility of all manufacturers, highly
waterproof and very reliable.

Agreed...........

walk the working docks in the PNW. 90% of the small operators , salmon/
crabbers, use Furuno gear. Why would an ignorant poor hard workin guy
buy Furuno?

Cause it works.
bob

Bob Bob is offline

On Sep 6, 11:51 am, Chris wrote:

The coating had spots on it ......assumed
water or salt so I washed it with Windex and wiped with a paper
towel.....This destroyed the screen coating, null and voided the
warranty. Their cleaning solution is Distilled water and micro fiber
cloth only on the screen...sounds well suited for the marine
environment, don't you think?

Hummm, I used 3/8" polycarb stock for my new 7" x 15" portlights. I
wasnt sure how to clean polycarb so I READ THE INSTRUCTONS. Its
special stuff that requires special treatment.

You just made another tuition payment to the School of Hard Knocks. A
rather popular university for maritime learning......... Just consider
Skip n Lydia's tuition bill.... Ugh, now that is what I call an
expensive education.

Bob

She continued using windex until the windows were completely opaque!
As Foxworthy says "here's your sign".

That's Bill Engvall not Jeff Foxworthy. Your right though some people
just don't listen.

Last word Joe ASA 1 September 12th 06 07:16 AM
The Last Word Capt. Rob ASA 3 July 12th 06 05:45 AM
There's The P-word, again.... Larry Electronics 4 March 29th 06 07:23 AM
The word is spreading... John H General 5 February 26th 05 07:00 PM
Nautical word fun Gould 0738 General 2 November 10th 04 01:13 AM