Default A word to the wisew...on Garmin

On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 11:51:19 -0700, Chris
wrote:

I called Garmin Support today to discuss a recurring problem I have
with a new chart plotter. Seems the screen has a delicate, oh so
delicate film placed on it to improve readability in daylight, (which
is a problem with Garmin)...The coating had spots on it ......assumed
water or salt so I washed it with Windex and wiped with a paper
towel.....This destroyed the screen coating, null and voided the
warranty. Their cleaning solution is Distilled water and micro fiber
cloth only on the screen...sounds well suited for the marine
environment, don't you think? What happens when the waves come in...the
rain falls or heaven to Betsy get soap and water on it when washing of
the beer and pretzels that have stuck to it over the weekend...I started
with Garmin's 210 series great...big screeen readable charts
dependable..now it's small screens, bad charts and delicate

Gamin's business interest have shifted and now putting out cheap auto
GPS units helping lost soles find the closest Wendy's....is the priority

So. Now that you've scolded by the scolds about how dainty you should
be when wiping off a effing screen, what did you go with?
And what model is that Garmin so I make sure to avoid it.
And thanks for the heads up. I agree that a chartplotter screen on a
sailing vessel shouldn't need the exquisite care one uses when placing
delicate lace doilies in preparation for tea and crumpets.
Distilled water and micro fibers to wipe a damn screen, indeed.
Mein Gott in Himmel! What the hell is the sailing world coming to?

--Vic

Bob wrote:
On Sep 6, 6:30 pm, Wayne.B wrote:
On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 16:49:40 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"

Or better yet switch to Furuno, the almost universal choice of
professional fisherman who rely on their equipment everyday. Furuno
has the best daytime visibility of all manufacturers, highly
waterproof and very reliable.

Agreed...........

walk the working docks in the PNW. 90% of the small operators ,
salmon/ crabbers, use Furuno gear. Why would an ignorant poor hard
workin guy buy Furuno?

Cause it works.

Not with Mapsource it doesn't!

Last word Joe ASA 1 September 12th 06 07:16 AM
The Last Word Capt. Rob ASA 3 July 12th 06 05:45 AM
There's The P-word, again.... Larry Electronics 4 March 29th 06 07:23 AM
The word is spreading... John H General 5 February 26th 05 07:00 PM
Nautical word fun Gould 0738 General 2 November 10th 04 01:13 AM