Default Thrift shop distiller $9

" wrote in
oups.com:

What am I missing?

I doubt a cruise ship could produce enough distilled water from waste heat
to feed its hungry passengers. But, in a situation of a private boat with
2 to 5 passengers aboard, I'm convinced they'll produce far more distilled
water than needed from the waste heat of the engines, in powerboats like
trawlers, motor yachts, bubbleboats. Anything guzzling that kind of fuel
is making a LOT of waste heat and simply dumping it overboard.

Larry
--
Search youtube for "Depleted Uranium"
The ultimate dirty bomb......

wrote in news7f6e352nobhftlvbnrfrja65nvtgv8e5b@
4ax.com:

if it were practical internal combustion engines would be
running at much higher temperatures then they do now. I suspect that
higher temperature operation would be getting into the realm of exotic
materials, difference in expansions of various engine parts, etc. I
also suspect that lubrication would be a problem.

Remember the ceramic diesel invented that had no cooling system and no
lube oil?
http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/4846051-claims.html

Lubrication was by GAS, not liquid.

It was too efficient, of course, so it had to be BURIED.

Ever wonder why boats don't have air cycle refridgeration and air
conditioning?
http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/4846051-claims.html
-75F is plenty cool to cool off the cabin, right?
1967, Chrysler sedan in Mohave Desert with 6 engineers inside enjoying a
ROVAC rotart compressor/expander air conditioning system running on AIR,
not freon. Temp with 6 passengers in a Plymouth? 57F....cool plenty!
Oops...too environmentally friendly. You can't charge $8 for 12oz of AIR
at WalMart like R134a. Can it! Quick!

Larry
--
Search youtube for "Depleted Uranium"
The ultimate dirty bomb......

Vic Smith wrote in
:

Yeah, I knew that, but forgot. Probably thinking about how I would do
it given natural gas is cheaper than electricity here. But even with
that, your electric units might be more practical here too.

--Vic

Electricity is political where I live. In Charleston, a corporation,
SCANA aka South Carolina Electric and Gas, supposedly controlled by the
state charges over 9c/KWh at the house, over 10c/KWh if you use over 750
KWh. 75 miles up the road, the City of Orangeburg, SC, same state,
couldn't get big corporations to wire the city way back when, so decided
to do it themselves like the water system.

http://www.orbgdpu.com/electric.htm
Click on RATES after seeing what they offer their customers.
They sell the SAME electricity, bought from the electrical grid as they
have no power plants except some HUGE gas turbine emergency plants, for
2.4c/KWh for the first 500 KWh...then the rate DROPS (ours rises,
dammit)...over that first 500 KWh, Orangeburg houses pay 1.9c/KWh....not
10.2c/KWh Charleston pays. No bogus "fuel cost adjustment charges",
either.

Here's our corporate thieves:
http://www.sceg.com/en/
buried down a few layers is:
http://www.sceg.com/NR/rdonlyres/523...0C0-4997-8608-
4AA8EA48A9BD/0/rate8.pdf
the electric rates.....dammit.

SCANA controls the state, not the other way around. I discovered this
after my father died and I inherited his mobile home in a trailer park in
Orangeburg. The city owned utility kept sending me bills for $35/month
so I ran up to see what was wrong with the air conditioning system I was
SURE I left running to prevent mildew inside. It was still running. $35
was "normal" for July in SC! The base charge was $6....no funny charges
noone can explain, no city franchies fees or other bogus charges to raise
the cost 35%....$6!

And they say the government shouldn't be in the electric business....

Larry
--
Everyone paying under 2c/KWh for electricity raise your hand!

Vic Smith wrote in
:

My youngest daughter was walking at 7 months and amazing the
neighborhood kids. She knew to say "mama" and "dada." Her third
word was "What?!" Didn't mean anything, she just liked it.
A 10-year old friend of my son's came over to the front fence to ask
my wife if he could come out to play. He didn't even see the little
one standing on the other side of the fence at his feet. Just as he
was about to say something to my wife the little shouted up at him
"What?!"
He about had a heart attack, shouting at my wife, "She can talk!
She can talk!"
Thanks for the parrot stories. I'll remember them.

"What?" reminds me of a fantastic Australian beer commercial someone sent
me from Oz. This beautiful woman is headed into a gorgeous bathroom with
s big sunken round tub as the spot opens. She sheds her robe as she
enters and we get to watch her bare back entering the already filled
pool, as she slides down until only her head is above water, dammit!

Just as she settles in and closes her eyes, obviously enjoying it, this
Aussie male runs bareassed into the room and does a FANTASTIC CANNON BALL
into the sunken tub, drowning her and the entire room!...(c; He reaches
around behind him to grab the product beer, unscrews the cap and takes a
big swig that would send the American FCC into a frenzy of violation
printing, looks over at her ANGRY RED FACE and says........."What??!"

Oh, look! It's on YOUTUBE!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=he4fBK3d8hk
AND HAHN HAS A NEW ONE!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=BHcL40ALO...elated&search=

It's my favorite commercial. I hope they sell millions of gallons of
beer from it. It would NEVER fly in the prudish USA. The preachers
would go ballistic evangelizing....God, we can't even look at a tit at a
football game to protect the kiddies who've been sucking on them the
whole first part of their lives! I'm STILL nursing, given the chance!

Larry

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 02:19:17 +0000, Larry wrote:

[...]

Gas or air lubrication is hardly news. My Machinery's Handbook of
1950-something had tables of clearance for air lubed bearings.

As I remember it the ceramic engine never got out of the laboratory
stages but I do remember some pretty high efficiency numbers claimed
for it.

A charge of freon for the pickup is about $4.00 here :-)

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 20:57:01 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 10:10:37 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

In the meantime, his stovetop distillers are working well for him, and
use heat in a time-tested and pretty efficient way, with almost direct
application of flame to water.

Yes, but can you also use it to make booze? If so you could turn your
boat into a cash machine.

You'd have to fiddle with the thermostat as booze is distilled at
considerable lower temperatures then distilled water. I've got a mate
who makes his own booze and I *think* the top of the reflux still runs
about 80 degrees C. I can get you specific numbers if you are that
interested.

Be aware that the Tax people get absolutely frantic and tend to take
away your house, car, still, and money when they catch you doing this.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

On Sep 8, 3:40 pm, Larry wrote:
" wrote groups.com:

What am I missing?

... But, in a situation of a private boat with
2 to 5 passengers aboard, I'm convinced they'll produce far more distilled
water than needed from the waste heat of the engines, in powerboats like
trawlers, motor yachts, bubbleboats. ...

I think I see. I suppose this is just a matter of perspective, but we
often get 8-10 gallons of drinking water from the excess amps on the
solar array in a sunny anchorage using R/O. That's a lot of water for
two people who are used to conserving. It would be a good deal less
thrilling to get 0.8 of a gallon even if it was of fantastic quality.
But unlike your example boats we live on a very strict energy budget
when we're cruising.

Just playing devil's advocate, wouldn't it make more sense for the
bubble boat crowd to use their waste heat to R/O a lot of water to
shower, wash dishes, fill the jacuzzi and so on and then distill their
drinking water from the R/Oed water in one of Sear's finest counter
top contraptions plugged into the inverter?

-- Tom.

" wrote in
ps.com:

Just playing devil's advocate, wouldn't it make more sense for the
bubble boat crowd to use their waste heat to R/O a lot of water to
shower, wash dishes, fill the jacuzzi and so on and then distill their
drinking water from the R/Oed water in one of Sear's finest counter
top contraptions plugged into the inverter?

RO is better and uses less power as you want to use it. My discussion
involves a whole different way of distillation in POWER boats with ENGINES
running....not hermits living on the hook.

Larry

On Sep 10, 1:02 pm, Larry wrote:
... My discussion
involves a whole different way of distillation in POWER boats with ENGINES
running....not hermits living on the hook. ...

I take it from the nasty ad hominem zinger that I'm being a pain.
Sorry about that. Just for the record, there are many very desirable
cruising destinations that have plenty of people but not much fresh
water. In those spots an efficient water maker is a wonderful tool
for sociable cruisers. Also for the record, I'm not trying to be a
pain. But, at the risk of seeming negative, since you completely
ignored my question I'll ask it one more time: what is the motivation
to use steam distillation even in "POWER boats with ENGINES running"
when the same amount of heat differential would give you vastly more
fresh water if you used it to run R/O filtration?

-- Tom.

NAUTIC SHOP CLEARANCE nautiK Boat Building 0 December 13th 06 10:32 AM
NAUTIC SHOP CLEARANCE nautiK Electronics 0 December 13th 06 10:32 AM
E Machine Shop Marc ASA 21 August 29th 04 06:40 PM
Treasure from the Thrift Store (long) Steve Cruising 0 August 14th 04 10:31 PM