Default Volvo MD7B specs and Islander 30

Hi,

Once again I'm hoping to tap into the Infinite Knowledge Resource that is
this newsgroup.

I'm looking at an Islander Bahama 30, and it has a Volvo "20hp MD73"
engine. Now, if I assume he means MD7B, anybody have the specs for that
engine? Google shows hundreds of boats for sale with that engine, listed
as anything from 12hp to 20hp. RWC or FWC? RPM? HP? 2-cyl?

Also, anybody have experience with a Islander Bahama 30: how does it sail?
is it reasonably well-built? I've read some stories on the web about it,
but would love some (non-biased!) first-hand accounts.

druid - boatless in Vancouver...

druid wrote:
Hi,

Once again I'm hoping to tap into the Infinite Knowledge Resource that is
this newsgroup.

I'm looking at an Islander Bahama 30, and it has a Volvo "20hp MD73"
engine. Now, if I assume he means MD7B, anybody have the specs for that
engine? Google shows hundreds of boats for sale with that engine, listed
as anything from 12hp to 20hp. RWC or FWC? RPM? HP? 2-cyl?

Also, anybody have experience with a Islander Bahama 30: how does it sail?
is it reasonably well-built? I've read some stories on the web about it,
but would love some (non-biased!) first-hand accounts.

druid - boatless in Vancouver...

Thought you had a new boat!

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 17:41:47 -0700, druid wrote:

I'm looking at an Islander Bahama 30, and it has a Volvo "20hp MD73"
engine. Now, if I assume he means MD7B, anybody have the specs for that
engine? Google shows hundreds of boats for sale with that engine, listed
as anything from 12hp to 20hp. RWC or FWC? RPM? HP? 2-cyl?

I had a MD7B that I purchased new in 1977 or thereabouts. At that
time it was rated at 13 hp. It was 2 cylinders, raw water cooled, and
had a separate alternator (not a Dynastart like the MD1). Mine was a
repower in a 28 ft Westerly weighing around 7,000 lbs. It had plenty
of power for that boat.

Apparently Volvo found ways of increasing hp over the years bur I have
no experience with that.

On Aug 31, 8:41 pm, druid wrote:
Hi,

Once again I'm hoping to tap into the Infinite Knowledge Resource that is
this newsgroup.

I'm looking at an Islander Bahama 30, and it has a Volvo "20hp MD73"
engine. Now, if I assume he means MD7B, anybody have the specs for that
engine? Google shows hundreds of boats for sale with that engine, listed
as anything from 12hp to 20hp. RWC or FWC? RPM? HP? 2-cyl?

Also, anybody have experience with a Islander Bahama 30: how does it sail?
is it reasonably well-built? I've read some stories on the web about it,
but would love some (non-biased!) first-hand accounts.

druid - boatless in Vancouver...

Here is a link to Volvo's web site
http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/glob...rators_manual/

On Sep 3, 11:52 am, Jerry wrote:
On Aug 31, 8:41 pm, druid wrote:

Hi,

Once again I'm hoping to tap into the Infinite Knowledge Resource that is
this newsgroup.

I'm looking at an Islander Bahama 30, and it has a Volvo "20hp MD73"
engine. Now, if I assume he means MD7B, anybody have the specs for that
engine? Google shows hundreds of boats for sale with that engine, listed
as anything from 12hp to 20hp. RWC or FWC? RPM? HP? 2-cyl?

Also, anybody have experience with a Islander Bahama 30: how does it sail?
is it reasonably well-built? I've read some stories on the web about it,
but would love some (non-biased!) first-hand accounts.

druid - boatless in Vancouver...

Here is a link to Volvo's web sitehttp://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/global/en-gb/marineengines/operators_...

The link says 17 HP, not sure what year engine that relates to.

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 09:38:52 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

I had a MD7B that I purchased new in 1977 or thereabouts. At that
time it was rated at 13 hp. It was 2 cylinders, raw water cooled, and
had a separate alternator (not a Dynastart like the MD1). Mine was a
repower in a 28 ft Westerly weighing around 7,000 lbs. It had plenty
of power for that boat.

Apparently Volvo found ways of increasing hp over the years bur I have
no experience with that.

Looking through the Volvo site for out of production engines, I
believe the one I had was an MD7A, not the MD7B.

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 20:52:48 -0700, Gordon wrote:

druid wrote:

Also, anybody have experience with a Islander Bahama 30: how does it sail?
is it reasonably well-built? I've read some stories on the web about it,
but would love some (non-biased!) first-hand accounts.

druid - boatless in Vancouver...

Thought you had a new boat!

Well, not counting the 7.5ft inflatable I got a few months ago, no. I put
an offer in on a Cal27, but the owner is a flake and never responded to
the offer. That one's gonna get auctioned off by the marina in a few
months if the owner doesn't get his poop-in-a-group.

I did have an artificial max size of 28 ft, but I'm thinking 30 wouldn't
be TOO bad... (I'm trying to spend less on moorage, haulouts, maint, etc.
etc. etc. than I did with my 36). I've always said 27 is all you need for
Georgia Strait, etc. unless you have a big family or entertain a lot. But
my Lady DOES have some other ideas...

I WOULD appreciate any stories, data, etc. on an Islander 30, especially
how it sails, since that's one thing you can't really test, not even with
a "test sail".

Lloyd Sumpter
http://www.bcboatnet.org

Prop clearance specs? Josh Assing General 27 May 18th 07 02:26 PM
WOT specs, 1987 sea ray Glenn Cruising 0 August 20th 04 06:18 AM
Where can I find Sea Ray specs? Denis Roy General 7 May 21st 04 04:37 PM
Towing Specs for Used Trucks? Harry Krause General 29 March 12th 04 12:05 PM
specs NetSock General 5 February 2nd 04 12:53 PM