Default Battery Electrolyte..

... who (in Louisiana preferably) supplies this?

It used to be available all over the place, but no-one seems to have
any, any more.

Is this a plot to sell more batteries?

--
Molesworth

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 06:24:39 -0500, Molesworth
wrote:

.. who (in Louisiana preferably) supplies this?

It used to be available all over the place, but no-one seems to have
any, any more.

Go to some friendly battery dealer, and get some from the old trade-
ins. The plates wear out, not the acid.

Is this a plot to sell more batteries?

Probably not. Just too little demand.

Casady

Molesworth wrote in news:ukmole-
:

So 'Yes' to the plot then.

:-)

I think more "no" to the lawyers waiting to sue the battery store selling
acid. Would YOU want to sell highly toxic acid to litigation-happy
customers? Are you crazy?!!

Larry

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 18:12:06 +0000, Larry wrote:

95% of the batteries no longer have openings to pour it into, which is a
VERY dangerous operation.

I don't know about VERY, but gloves and goggles are called for, and a
plastic apron isn't a bad Idea. Stuff is harder on clothes than on
skin.
Adding acid to a dying battery is NOT a solution as all it does is eat
holes in the already eaten away plates that are left...give you a false
gravity reading without the real capacity to back it up.

You add acid to only to replace spillage. Add stuff just like what is
there, same specific gravity. Cover the tops of the plates.

The original acid load always disappears due to lead sulphate
crystallizing, making the acid unrecoverable...which also makes the lead
unrecoverable. Acid is not consumed, unrecoverably, for any other reason
unless you boil it out.

It has a pretty high boiling point. 338 C, 640 F, for the pure stuff,
[which does not help this discussion much]. The water lowers the
boiling point. Is boiling the acid common? That has to be bad . Lot
of corrosion around many batteries in cars, so acid does seem to
escape.

It does not need "replacing" like water, that is
converted into hydrogen gas, is.

And they make them so you can't add water. *******s.

Casady

Molesworth wrote in news:ukmole-
:

I postulated that the unavailablitity of battery distilled water

Wait! You said battery acid, before, didn't you?

Distilled water is available in every grocery store in the USA in many
forms. I make mine with a still in my kitchen to have clean drinking
water, free of government tampering, to drink.
http://www.waterwise.com/productcart...p?idproduct=24
It makes water with about .12ppm total dissolved solids, after passing
through the carbon post-filter. It doesn't even conduct electricity!

Sorry if I was confused about what you were looking for....

Larry

(Richard Casady) wrote in
:

And they make them so you can't add water. *******s.

I'm certainly not defending "them", but modern batteries use an alloy to
hold up the soft lead plates that replaced antimony we used to use.
During the charging cycle, the antimony supports reacted with the water
in the electrolyte to form an oxide of antimony and hydrogen gas which
used to bubble a LOT during the charging, consuming lots of water in the
process that needed constant replenishment.

Now that antimony is no longer used, the percolating only happens if you
try to charge them too fast, a condition most boaters are guilty of
especially sailors trying to run the diesel 8 minutes per day. So, the
"maintenance free" battery was created that will run, in a proper
situation, for several years with no water added to it....all during its
service life. The public demanded it. No battery lasts very long,
except the Nickel-Iron-Potassium Hydroxide "Edison" cell noone produces
any more because of the nickel pollution and awful cost. It was the only
battery that was fully recoverable, not self-consuming. My ham station
ran for years on a group of cells from an old telephone exchange that
were nearly 60 years old! The guy I gave them to in 1978 is still using
them, simply adding distilled water as needed as they do use water.

Battery companies don't need to design in some conspiracy into lead-acid
batteries. They destroy themselves quite nicely no matter what you do...
(c;

Larry

The Battery FAQ CCred68046 General 0 July 8th 04 05:44 AM
Battery info pages - Battery University website dg Cruising 0 February 26th 04 04:59 PM
Battery Distancevector Electronics 2 January 17th 04 08:20 PM
Auxially battery with isolator and solar battery maintainer [email protected] General 26 December 8th 03 06:10 AM
Battery electrolyte question Jim Bailey Electronics 5 August 22nd 03 02:23 PM