Default Battery Electrolyte..

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 02:41:05 +0000, Larry wrote:

Even the tinest amount of acid seeping from a battery post makes the
surrounding area look as if the whole ocean has had a go at the steel under
the paint.

Part of my car maintenance was a monthly wipe down of the battery.
It normally had acid on the top just due to venting. That collects
dirt, and that provides a shorting part. Can't say I had many battery
problems, and the terminals didn't crust up either.

--Vic

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 02:38:26 +0000, Larry wrote:

Molesworth wrote in news:ukmole-
:

I postulated that the unavailablitity of battery distilled water

Wait! You said battery acid, before, didn't you?

Distilled water is available in every grocery store in the USA in many
forms. I make mine with a still in my kitchen to have clean drinking
water, free of government tampering, to drink.
http://www.waterwise.com/productcart...p?idproduct=24
It makes water with about .12ppm total dissolved solids, after passing
through the carbon post-filter. It doesn't even conduct electricity!

Sorry if I was confused about what you were looking for....

Brought back a memory buried for more than 40 years.
We had a sea-water cooled tank to draw off water from the deaerating
feed tank for the boiler make-up water. It was meant for water
testing. That water had already been triple distilled, and now it had
been well-cleaned of dissolved oxygen.
Tasteless. Don't know if it conducted, only that it was wet.
Shortly after coming aboard I tapped off a cup to drink, as it was the
coolest beverage in the fire room. A Cajun named Blanchard saw me
drinking it, and warned me "Don't drink that. Makes you **** hard."
Don't know about that, but since it was essentially tasteless, I just
took his advice anyway.

--Vic

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 02:48:53 +0000, Larry wrote:

No battery lasts very long,
except the Nickel-Iron-Potassium Hydroxide "Edison" cell

I have one of those. Had it for fifty years. Five cell. The cell caps
are machined from stainless steel.

Casady

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 01:23:11 +0000, Larry wrote:

Molesworth wrote in news:ukmole-
:

So 'Yes' to the plot then.

:-)

I think more "no" to the lawyers waiting to sue the battery store selling
acid.

Just say no to lawyers? Good idea. Use a shotgun.

Would YOU want to sell highly toxic acid to litigation-happy
customers? Are you crazy?!!

The acid is not particularly toxic, just corrosive. It is hydrogen
ions, found in your stomach already, and sulphate ions. Magnesium
sulphate is the well known Epsom salts. You can swallow a lot of it,
and while it is a laxative, it will not poison you. Vinegar is the
toxic one. A pint of regular vinegar will likely kill you. It is a
popular means of suicide in Russia. All you need is, oddly enough,is
over the counter antacids, to drink a good bit of dilute sulfuric
acid and suffer no real ill effects. The 98% stuff is highly dangerous
and they sell that to open clogged drains. The battery stuff is
dilute, and much less dangerous.

They sell concentrated sulfuric acid at the grocery store, as well as
deadly vinegar and glycol, not to mention lye, pure sodium hydroxide.
That stuff is really corrosive. It will dissolve a human body. The fat
turns into soap. You want grocery store toxic, check out the thallium
salts. Sold to kill ants. Mouse poison, roach poison, fly killer. Some
of that stuff is quite similar to nerve gas. Lots of hazmat at the
supermarket. For the inhaler of glue, toluene by the quart.

Casady

Vic Smith wrote in
:

A Cajun named Blanchard saw me
drinking it, and warned me "Don't drink that. Makes you **** hard."
Don't know about that, but since it was essentially tasteless, I just
took his advice anyway.

Hmm...My Cajun's name was Alexander Dupree. He took me home to Louisiana
on leave from USS Everglades (AD-24) in the late 60's. Had a great time
fishing from his pirot boat. Cajuns KNOW where the fish are!

Drinking it is one of the most healthy things you did in your life.
Water is the body's cleaning agent. The purer it is, the better it
cleans.

Of course, if you sell "ionizers" threatened by the distiller
manufacturers:
http://www.ionizers.org/distilled_water.html
http://www.ionizers.org/purifiedwater.html
"Dr Theodore Baroody, in his book "Alkalize or Die", offers a list of
symptoms that may be precipitated by Acidosis"
Why do doctors prostrate themselves for a few easy bucks?
http://www.mercola.com/article/water...lled_water.htm

Here's a little truth:
http://www.durastill.com/myths.html
http://www.energiseforlife.com/disti...-questions.php
I've been drinking distilled water for 15 years since my last kidney
stone drove me to my knees with pain. Kidney stones are caused by the
calcium buildup from elemental calcium in drinking water. No calcium, no
kidney stones. Pretty simple, actually. I used to get them regularly.
No more!

If you saw what was left in my distiller after making a batch of
distilled from Charleston City Water, you wouldn't even bathe in it! It
looks like sewage, all brown and gook. My last hot water heater lasted 4
years before the acid from the lake water the city provides ate away the
inside of it because I found out it didn't have a sacrificial magnesium
anode. We cut open what was left to see why it wouldn't drain. IT WAS
FULL OF MUD!! REAL MUD!! They want me to drink that?? NOT.

On topic, I would NEVER drink water from a boat tank filled with crap
from various ports. Any hose laying on a dock at any marine in
Charleston GROWS GREEN ALGAE in about 4 hours. The water turns green
with it, ask Skip, who just left here. Those tanks can't be cleaned,
just killed. No thanks. I bring a 5 gallon tank with a pump for
whatever crew I'm with to drink PURE, distilled water from my still.

Larry

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 13:22:56 +0000, Larry wrote:

[...]

Good advice. I'll be looking hard at water sourcing and storage when
I get my boat.
I've been lucky here in Chicago, because the Lake Michigan water meets
my liking. Not much scale buildup either. Sometimes it smells of
chlorine though, but if left to sit a couple minutes that's gone.
Some people are prone to kidney stones, I think, water aside.
In the Ozarks we had bucket drawn well water, and I admit to missing
the taste, which might be described as "Strongly imbued with a rocky
flavor, but eloquently tempered by subtle undertones of frog, lizard,
snake and cricket."
Distilled water is fine and healthy, and even that deaerated water
would have been suitable if I'd been able to shake some oxygen into
it.

--Vic

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 14:04:25 +0000, Larry wrote:

Oh, I know! I used to mix them together to see if we could get them to
explode...again...from under my mother's sink when I was 12....(c;

Remember "Chemistry Sets"?....(c;

Yes. Mine came with some strontium nitrate which is a good enough
oxidiser to make gunpowder. And a strip of magnesium ribbon. Those
were the days. The local supermarket still has saltpeter.

Casady

Vic Smith wrote in
:

In the Ozarks we had bucket drawn well water, and I admit to missing
the taste, which might be described as "Strongly imbued with a rocky
flavor, but eloquently tempered by subtle undertones of frog, lizard,
snake and cricket."

Before the Feds forced our little town of 1500 people to build and
connect to a fancy sewage plant that has completely polluted Owasco Lake,
the ring finger of The Finger Lakes SW of Syracuse, NY, long after I left
there for the Navy, we drank lake water all the while fishing in it.
Noone ever got sick even though all the camps and homes around the lake
used septic tanks...or more correctly outhouses and cesspools of concrete
block to keep them from caving in.

Now, the lake is destroyed by the sewage plants of the three towns
upstream from its inlet. Huge algae blooms kill all the fish and make
the place uninhabitable. When I was a kid in the 50's, the men stood on
shore at night next to their gas lanterns snatching one huge bullhead
after another until midnight when the bullheads "ran" in season. They're
all dead now, killed by the government greenies.

Distilled water is fine and healthy, and even that deaerated water
would have been suitable if I'd been able to shake some oxygen into
it.

What's wrong with distillers is they distill other things in the water,
besides the water, notably benzene and other light fuels. It gives
distilled water a metallic taste it usually is associated with. However,
there is a very simple solution to this problem that makes the water
taste devine in its pure, unconducting state....activated carbon.
Passing the output of the still through a 6" column of activated carbon
totally removes any trace of these carbon-based enes because they attach
themselves, at the molecular level to the carbon ions, very readily.
There are expensive carbon filter pads available for my distiller but
that's a crazy waste. I use a very high temperature nylon baster from a
gourmet cooking store. I put a coffee filter in the tube as a little
funnel and push it to the pointed end. Then, fill the tube with carbon
granules the filter keeps out of my water. Slowly siphon the water
through the column into my storage bottles and the whole column gets
quite hot with the reaction, even with only a few ppm of enes. The water
coming out the bottom is delicious. You can do this same thing with
store-bought distilled that is not filtered this way. One notable
exception is the best-selling bottled water in the business, Dasani from
Coca-Cola. Dasani is exactly what I make, distilled water filtered
through activated carbon. Try a bottle at any food store. My water
tastes exactly like it, but at a fraction of the cost, of course, about
20c/gallon.

I'm amazed none of the osmosis users haven't chimed in. Maybe they are
not reading this thread. Reverse osmosis was supposed to be the cureall
for our water ills. Unfortunately, it has seen some really nasty
problems since its inception they are not solving adequately. It's not
distilled, no where near as pure. The worst problem is bacteria.
Bacteria cannot pass through the membrane as they are too large. But,
alas, unfortunately, bacteria die because of the osmosis pressures used
to speed up filtration. Dead bacteria against the membrane now become
lodged against it and the pressure soon breaks them down. This releases
the TOXINS that make the bacteria so dangerous to humans, which DO pass
right through the membranes into the output filtered water. Noone in the
passenger shipping business will say, but I think THIS is the problem
with so many passengers of a cruise ship becoming sick all together, over
and over, for no apparent reason they will let us know about....toxic
water.

http://tinyurl.com/2xasfv
http://tinyurl.com/2ynewe
http://tinyurl.com/24nrq4

Distilled water has none of these problems. What I can't figure out,
especially on power yachts, is why all that waste engine heat going up
the stacks isn't running engine-room-mounted distillers for fresh water
to drink. One big V-8 diesel pushing a monster could make 200 gallons of
seawater into two hundred gallons of distilled in no time at all!....with
no bacteria in it!

Larry

(Richard Casady) wrote in
:

Yes. Mine came with some strontium nitrate which is a good enough
oxidiser to make gunpowder. And a strip of magnesium ribbon. Those
were the days. The local supermarket still has saltpeter.

Casady

The most fascinating things in Mom's cupboard was Parson's Household
Ammonia, Draino, Vanish toilet acid and bleach! With those, you could
bring small 3rd world countries to their knees in an hour!...(c;

The Class of '64, my high school class, was responsible for clearing the
school and cancelling a day of classes to the delight of everyone but the
staff. A girl, whos name I won't repeat, left a chlorine generator
running in a chem lab sink. It filled the sink with heavy chlorine,
which ran across the lab table, across the floor, and the heating system
sucked it under the door out into the hall where it picked up the green
cloud and dutifully distributed it throughout the building. We're
talking fairly heavy concentrations by the time it ran out of fuel! The
first janitor in the building managed to stagger back out the door in
retreat before he collapsed on the back porch until his lungs cleared.
School got a day off as huge fans were brought in to ventilate the place.

As a parrot person, another really dangerous chemical every house has is
Pam cooking spray. The propellant in Pam, sprayed on a really hot pan,
not even toxic teflon, will kill your parrots many rooms away with deadly
Phosgene gas used on the troops in WW1. Of course, overheated Teflon
kills throughout the house. Birders never have teflon cookware...birds
are big money!

Larry

The Battery FAQ CCred68046 General 0 July 8th 04 05:44 AM
Battery info pages - Battery University website dg Cruising 0 February 26th 04 04:59 PM
Battery Distancevector Electronics 2 January 17th 04 08:20 PM
Auxially battery with isolator and solar battery maintainer [email protected] General 26 December 8th 03 06:10 AM
Battery electrolyte question Jim Bailey Electronics 5 August 22nd 03 02:23 PM