Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default A good hands advice...

Hi all,

My first post to this newsgroup. I have been perusing the posts for several
months now.

I couple of thoughts that I would like some general advice on please.

Within five years I would like to say goodbye to the sod forever.
I am now 46 years old. I am a sailor. I have held my MMD for over 22 years
now and I am an extremely proficient navigator with or without electricity.
(Yes, I can swing a sextant.)

However, except for a few short stints running supply boats out of New
Iberia and working on a few tourist boats in Boston and Key West, almost all
of my experience has been aboard ships. Not boats.

I have zero experience with sails. I wish to travel alone. I wish to not be
limited in where and what waters I travel.

Wanting to cruise and live aboard I am aware that a sailboat is far and away
my most self reliant and economical choice. I am looking mostly at
motorsailers when I drool over the "boats for sale".

So, the advice I need?
Size limits? Types of hulls and rigging to be seeking?
Price ranges?

How stupid would I be to consider purchasing a salvage or neglected vessel
and begin a five year rebuild?

Thanks in advance...

Ric Hamel
--
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of
themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and

Thomas Jefferson

is this a good deal (boat buying advice needed) s o General 18 November 23rd 06 06:07 AM
A happy ending to this potential tragedy, and some good advice...... [email protected] General 0 April 11th 06 10:35 PM
Cold Hands muzz UK Paddle 17 November 15th 05 01:37 AM
Good advice - get rid of that Beneteau . . . Capt. Neal® ASA 0 November 2nd 05 11:31 PM
Good hands boat insurance got 1 finger raised? [email protected] General 34 May 23rd 05 10:45 PM