s o s o is offline

Default is this a good deal (boat buying advice needed)

hi,

I'm looking at a 1996 bayliner 1952 cuddy(19 ft) with a 3.0 135 hp
mercruiser I/O. asking $6000. is this a good deal. boat is fairly
well maintained.

I've read some posts on 3.0 vs. 4.3, I think I should be fine with a
3.0. I'll be mainly using it for close to shore cruising (and maybe
fishing) with the family and occasionally overnight at Catalina
Island(I live in SoCal.) My kids are 3 and 5, so no skiiing power
needed. I've talked to a couple of people at a boat ramp, they had 20
or 22 ft boats and gone to Catalina in them. I guess 19 ft should be
ok as well.

will this boat meet my needs? any comments are welcomed(but please no
religious war on Bayliner vs. other boats, etc). thanks.

s o

s o wrote:
hi,

I'm looking at a 1996 bayliner 1952 cuddy(19 ft) with a 3.0 135 hp
mercruiser I/O. asking $6000. is this a good deal. boat is fairly
well maintained.

I've read some posts on 3.0 vs. 4.3, I think I should be fine with a
3.0. I'll be mainly using it for close to shore cruising (and maybe
fishing) with the family and occasionally overnight at Catalina
Island(I live in SoCal.) My kids are 3 and 5, so no skiiing power
needed. I've talked to a couple of people at a boat ramp, they had 20
or 22 ft boats and gone to Catalina in them. I guess 19 ft should be
ok as well.

will this boat meet my needs? any comments are welcomed(but please no
religious war on Bayliner vs. other boats, etc). thanks.

s o

Whether or not that's a good deal or a fair price will depend entirely
upon condition.
Yachtworld has one listed for $3,500, but the rest of them seem to be
asking as much or more (in same cases as much or *much more*) than you
are considering paying for yours.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi... &searchPage=

The good news is, the most you could be off is by a thousand or so if
the boat doesn't need anything significant. Many people buying a boat
overpay by 10's of thousands of dollars, and some people overpay by six
or even seven figures. (shudder).

Don't settle for an eyeball survey. At the very least get an engine
shop to check out the mechanical aspects, and it wouldn't hurt to
engage a surveyor to check for rot while you're at it. It can be tough
to find a surveyor willing to tap out a 19-footer, however.

I've talked to a couple of people at a boat ramp, they had 20
or 22 ft boats and gone to Catalina in them. I guess 19 ft should be
ok as well.

Hmm. Should have addressed that in my previous post:
If I had two young kids and a 19-foot Bayliner I wouldn't try to run to
Catalina.
You'll get there and back with no problem, most of the time. But it
only takes one time of *not* making it to ruin the rest of your
possibly abbreviated life. Great boat for inland waters,
trailering down to the local lake, etc. Not for the open ocean, IMO.

These people with 20 & 22 foot boats may have something better designed
for offshore use.
Three feet can make a lot of difference in that size category, but more
significant would be the hull design itself. Even if they're making the
run with 22-foot Bayliners, there are going to be important differences
in displacement, freeboard, etc. And you don't want to tackle thta
crossing with a "bow rider" of any sort, IMO.

"s o" wrote in message
ups.com...
hi,

I'm looking at a 1996 bayliner 1952 cuddy(19 ft) with a 3.0 135 hp
mercruiser I/O. asking $6000. is this a good deal. boat is fairly
well maintained.

I've read some posts on 3.0 vs. 4.3, I think I should be fine with a
3.0. I'll be mainly using it for close to shore cruising (and maybe
fishing) with the family and occasionally overnight at Catalina
Island(I live in SoCal.) My kids are 3 and 5, so no skiiing power
needed. I've talked to a couple of people at a boat ramp, they had 20
or 22 ft boats and gone to Catalina in them. I guess 19 ft should be
ok as well.

will this boat meet my needs? any comments are welcomed(but please no
religious war on Bayliner vs. other boats, etc). thanks.

s o

Your kids are now toddlers but will be teens before you know it.........well
before then they will be asking to tube, ski or wakeboard off the boat. If
this boat will be kept for 5-6 years you may want to hold out for one with a
4.3L.

On 21 Nov 2006 13:59:18 -0800, "s o" wrote:

hi,

I'm looking at a 1996 bayliner 1952 cuddy(19 ft) with a 3.0 135 hp
mercruiser I/O. asking $6000. is this a good deal. boat is fairly
well maintained.

I've read some posts on 3.0 vs. 4.3, I think I should be fine with a
3.0. I'll be mainly using it for close to shore cruising (and maybe
fishing) with the family and occasionally overnight at Catalina
Island(I live in SoCal.) My kids are 3 and 5, so no skiiing power
needed. I've talked to a couple of people at a boat ramp, they had 20
or 22 ft boats and gone to Catalina in them. I guess 19 ft should be
ok as well.

will this boat meet my needs? any comments are welcomed(but please no
religious war on Bayliner vs. other boats, etc). thanks.

s o

You'd never catch me taking a 19' boat to Catalina, unless I had a bigger
boat with me the whole trip.

Tim Tim is offline

Keep your eyes open.

You can do better than that.

I realize it's smaller, but I bought a very nice 1983 ChrisCraft
Scorpion 169 (17ft.) witha 140 hp 3.0 mercruiser and trailer for
$1500.00. Just a couple weeks ago, I bought a fairly nice 1977
Monarch 22 ft. Cuddy with a low hr. Four-star reman 350 chevy and
overhauled MR drive. Needs a tad bit of work. Mostly cosmetic, but
nothing I can't easily handle. w/tandem axle trailer complete with
hydrolic brakes, for less than $1500.

I almost bought a 23 ft. "bubble boat" with a 4.3 that needed some hull
coating, but wasn't bad. it included a tandem trailer, for $3500.00 It
would have been worth it, but I liked the

as the season goes on, people will want to part witht heir boats, to
get something else, like a 4 wheeler, or they just don't ahve space to
store them.

What you are looking at is a good boat, but for it's size and weight I
think I'd wan't a bigger powerplant. I like the 3.0. it's a good
economical engine to run, but it seems noiser than what you would
think, and for the size boat you are talking about, it would probably
be alright if you had all day to get somewhere, and plenty of time to
get there. Well, I know that's an exageration, But I think you'd be
happier with more power.

Like I said. keep your eyes open, because you can do better than that.

s o wrote:
hi,

I'm looking at a 1996 bayliner 1952 cuddy(19 ft) with a 3.0 135 hp
mercruiser I/O. asking $6000. is this a good deal. boat is fairly
well maintained.

I've read some posts on 3.0 vs. 4.3, I think I should be fine with a
3.0. I'll be mainly using it for close to shore cruising (and maybe
fishing) with the family and occasionally overnight at Catalina
Island(I live in SoCal.) My kids are 3 and 5, so no skiiing power
needed. I've talked to a couple of people at a boat ramp, they had 20
or 22 ft boats and gone to Catalina in them. I guess 19 ft should be
ok as well.

will this boat meet my needs? any comments are welcomed(but please no
religious war on Bayliner vs. other boats, etc). thanks.

s o

S S is offline

s o wrote:
hi,

I'm looking at a 1996 bayliner 1952 cuddy(19 ft) with a 3.0 135 hp
mercruiser I/O. asking $6000. is this a good deal. boat is fairly
well maintained.

I've read some posts on 3.0 vs. 4.3, I think I should be fine with a
3.0. I'll be mainly using it for close to shore cruising (and maybe
fishing) with the family and occasionally overnight at Catalina
Island(I live in SoCal.) My kids are 3 and 5, so no skiiing power
needed. I've talked to a couple of people at a boat ramp, they had 20
or 22 ft boats and gone to Catalina in them. I guess 19 ft should be
ok as well.

will this boat meet my needs? any comments are welcomed(but please no
religious war on Bayliner vs. other boats, etc). thanks.

s o

I live in SoCal and have a 24' Skipjack that I take to the Islands.
There is no way I would take a 19 foot bayliner out there. Many days it
would be fine, but one day you could have a severely abreviated life.

On 21 Nov 2006 13:59:18 -0800, "s o" wrote:

hi,

I'm looking at a 1996 bayliner 1952 cuddy(19 ft) with a 3.0 135 hp
mercruiser I/O. asking $6000. is this a good deal. boat is fairly
well maintained.

I've read some posts on 3.0 vs. 4.3, I think I should be fine with a
3.0. I'll be mainly using it for close to shore cruising (and maybe
fishing) with the family and occasionally overnight at Catalina
Island(I live in SoCal.) My kids are 3 and 5, so no skiiing power
needed. I've talked to a couple of people at a boat ramp, they had 20
or 22 ft boats and gone to Catalina in them. I guess 19 ft should be
ok as well.

will this boat meet my needs? any comments are welcomed(but please no
religious war on Bayliner vs. other boats, etc). thanks.

s o

I can't comment on the use of that boat to go to Catalina Island as I
boat on the Ohio River ;-) However, two years ago I bought a 19 ft
cuddy with a 3.0 Mercruiser (1995 SeaPro Citation 1900 Classic Cuddy).
While a pretty basic boat with pretty basic instrumentation and
accutriments, it was very well cared for, in pretty much perfect
cosmetic hull and interior condition with no mechanical problems. I
find it to have sufficient power for me, my two grandkids and a couple
other adults. I take the kids tubing fine. I have not tried it for
sking. I have overnighted on it a couple times with 4 people. The
biggest power complaint (or maybe it is a hull complaint) is that it
is difficult to find that sweet spot where it is on plane but
cruising. Seems that giving it enough power to get on plane causes it
to go a little faster than a slow cruise once up on plane. My sisters
have an 18' and a 20' runabouts with 6 cyl. mercruisers taht don't
seem quite as tempermental in this respect. However they are both open
bow runabouts so I can't say it is a power issue.

Anyhow, for my needs it has sufficient power. BTW I paid $4,000 two
years ago.

Dave Hall
s o s o is offline

thanks for everyone's reply, I appreciate all your comments.

so