Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default A good hands advice...

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 17, 9:45 pm, "Alaskan420" wrote:
Hi all,

My first post to this newsgroup. I have been perusing the posts for
several
months now.

I couple of thoughts that I would like some general advice on please.

Within five years I would like to say goodbye to the sod forever.
I am now 46 years old. I am a sailor. I have held my MMD for over 22
years
now and I am an extremely proficient navigator with or without
electricity.
(Yes, I can swing a sextant.)

However, except for a few short stints running supply boats out of New
Iberia and working on a few tourist boats in Boston and Key West, almost
all
of my experience has been aboard ships. Not boats.

I have zero experience with sails. I wish to travel alone. I wish to not
be
limited in where and what waters I travel.

Wanting to cruise and live aboard I am aware that a sailboat is far and
away
my most self reliant and economical choice. I am looking mostly at
motorsailers when I drool over the "boats for sale".

So, the advice I need?
Size limits? Types of hulls and rigging to be seeking?
Price ranges?

How stupid would I be to consider purchasing a salvage or neglected
vessel
and begin a five year rebuild?

Thanks in advance...

Ric Hamel
--
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice
of

Thomas Jefferson

Hello Ric;

Get you a 35-45 fter..that way you have room to live and can still
single hand.
Go with a steel hull, stronger easier to maintain.
Sure.. purchace a fixer upper..a 5 years plan sounds about right, in
that time you will learrn all you need to sail the boat.

Price...that all depends on how good you are at fixing things up, and
how fancy you wan't to go.

Get a full keel with a board that you can raise to get into any
shallow port.

And indeed, a motor sailor is the best of all worlds.

Sounds like you are on the right track

Joe
RedCloud
http://sports.webshots.com/photo/272...63212926LiUcvQ

You forgot to tell him to take a welding course! :-)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com