Skip Gundlach

Default Total cost of Skip's boat

"Den73740" wrote in message
Subject: Total cost of Skip's boat
From: "Skip Gundlach"

Dear Skip:

I have followed your search for the perfect boat intermittently over
the months.

It sounds like a great quest, hope you're enjoying it.

I have to admit, I was getting weary by this last leg. But I got
re-energized when I got put in front of (well, more correctly, in - I later
got out and in front of it!) a boat which looked like someone was looking
over our shoulder when we were writing our wish list, but accidentally put
it into a larger package than we wanted.

We're on the home stretch, weighing which of the several choices we now have
on which to offer. More to follow, later.

L8R

Skip and Lydia

Dennis

Jere Lull

chris wrote:

Dear Skip:

I have followed your search for the perfect boat intermittently over
the months.
Anyone with such obvious record keeping skills should have also
calculated the following:

Time
1) "literature review" total hours (lost hours sailing).........
2) travel time to view boats (lost hours sailing)…..............

Money
1) transportation costs..........................................
2) professional services costs...................................
3) per diem.............................................. ........
4) marital counseling and divorce................................

So what is the amount that you are going to ADD to the purchase price
of the perfect boat to reveal its Total Purchase Price?

The longer you wait the more it is going to cost.

We did a similar search about a decade ago: Whenever the weather was
less than fun, we went looking at what could be the next boat rather
than getting wet and cold on the water. Trivial actual costs over a
sailing day and it decreased the costs of #4. Only Xan grabbed our
interest. Except for her, we'd have probably have continued with the
boat we had.

The process of finding the next boat can be fun. Thus, many of the costs
you list may be meaningless. Some of the steps can be done when sailing
isn't a meaningful option.

--
Jere Lull

Larry W4CSC

Boats for sale in a slip at $400/month are a good target for a
discount, especially if the boat isn't a real expensive one. Doesn't
take long for an owner of a $20K boat to think about that $4800/yr
check he's gonna have to write for it....(c;

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 22:45:33 GMT, "Skip Gundlach"
wrote:

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
You forgot to deduct slip rent he didn't have to pay. The longer he
waits, the cheaper it gets....(c;

Nah - I'll give him that one. We hope to not be in slips except for
emergencies. If we get the boat before we're able to go aboard, likely it
will remain on the hard, getting whatever work needs doing done while we're
not having to live in it...

L8R

Skip

didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away
from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
Discover." - Mark Twain

Larry W4CSC

NNNN

Skip Gundlach

"Keith" wrote in message
...and insurance he didn't pay. ...and maintenance he didn't have to do.

Nah - that's not fair. That comes with the boat. Whenever we get it, it's
part and parcel of it.

Anyway, as many have observed, if you actually calculated how much it cost
to go boating, likely you wouldn't :{))

The OP's point, misguided though it might have been, was that waiting (well,
more properly, doing my due diligence, rather than looking before I
leaped[lept?]) added unreasonably to the end cost of whatever boat we buy.

Insurance and maintenance will be a necessary part of the ongoing whole, not
part of the acquisition cost...

Further delaying our purchase, I'm going rowing. It's brilliantly clear, and
not a breath of air ruffles the glass outside :{))

L8R

Skip (and Lydia, by proxy)

didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away
from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
Discover." - Mark Twain

Peter

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 18:53:46 GMT, wrote:

snip

The real bottom line: Skip or his wife could die at any time. They may
not have tomorrow.

BB

We met a lovely Aussie couple when we were crewing in a Darwin - Ambon
a few years back. They'd been planning to sail around the world for
ten years, bought a beautiful but mature 39' something and were
fitting her out when the wife was diagnosed with a degenerative eye
disease.

So they sold everything, paid off the boat and headed off with little
reserve capital and before they were really ready.

Repairing the grounding near Brisbane took 80% of their emergency fund
and then they collected a coral bomb in Indonesia. They patched up
the boat and got her back for proper repairs in Oz, but had to work
again to raise the money.

One evening, he came back to yacht to find she had died on board
during the day.

We found out because she was due to be visiting us that weekend and
she never showed up. We found out when we called her mobile.

Suddenly, we became a lot more focused in our search for "the perfect
boat". We decided we would never find her and would accept "75%"
perfect. Even so, it still took six months to find her and to date
another two years fitting her out.

But by the time we finish, we'll know "Hinewai" inside out - and in
the process, we've become plumbers, sparks, diesel mechanics, welders,
painters etc etc. Indeed, at times it's been hard to remember we are
primarily sailors.

We aim to leave for our big trip in two years - by that time "Hinewai"
will be as ready as she'll ever be. But, as important, we run a small
company - just the two of us - and our clients buy us so we can't sell
it. When we leave, that income stream will stop. At our ages, it's
unlikely we'll be able to start again when we get back (sorry - IF we
ever bother to come back). So, and I realise others may disagree, we
have to be comfortable with the money we take and with what we leave
behind.

Hmm, having just reread this, I'll rephrase the start of that last
para - we WILL be leaving in two years. Come what may. Sometimes,
it's easy to forget.

Peter