Default Survey question

If you intent it to find out what is wrong with a boat that you want to
purchase a proper survey is the way to go.
However, this is not a guaranty that nothing is wrong with the boat. A
surveyor is only responsible for what he or she can find with the naked eyes
and today's technology. This is good enough for the insurance companies.
More so when the surveyor tells you that the replacement or market value is
evaluated at so much that what the insurance want you to cover your boat for
the evaluated amount.

Copy that/\.

This one says...

Market value $49K

Replacement Value $150K

By the way, for those playing along at home...

The rigging was replaced in 2004 - by the previous owners -
so say the current owners.

But thee doesn't seem to be amy documentation to that effect - yet.

Thank you guys (and gals!) for the information.

I think this in is worth looking at...

Richard

wrote in message

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"Jeff" wrote in message
.. .
Why don't you just call your surveyor and ask him?

You must realize of course, that if this is a survey the seller gave you
its worth about as much as him saying "My brother-in-law thinks its a
real good boat." There are two types of surveys, a proper survey where
the buyer wants to find every little thing that has gone bad, will go
bad, and might go bad in the boat; and an insurance survey which says
that the boat probably won't sink or blow up in the next 2 years, and
isn't concerned with the all the minor things that are falling off (i.e.
not covered by insurance). The insurance surveyor is often found by the
seller's broker when the buyer realizes he'll need the survey for
insurance. He is a "house surveyor" and wouldn't remain one long if he
convinced buyers not to buy. On top of that, in most places you don't
need a license or certification to call yourself a surveyor.

Before you seriously look at boats you should find a surveyor that
you're comfortable with, and have a discussion about the type of boat
you're looking for, and what he recommends as conditions for the survey.
For instance, if the boat is on the hard, can he do a proper engine
survey? Might he require invasive tests that need the seller's
permission?

* cavelamb himself wrote, On 8/12/2007 8:52 PM:
So I'm reading the survey for one of the boats that I'm looking at.
It's a Catalina 36 = 1984 model

Moored in fresh water now, but has been in salt water.

Under Surveyer's Recommendations are a list of items that needed
attention.

It's not a long list but there is one item (C rated) that I'm
kinda concerned about.

It says "All items aloft (spars, rigging, fittings, hardware, etc)
should be visually inspected for condition by a qualified/experienced
yacht rigger or equivelent".

Is this normal for a professional survey?

And, like everything else on the list it it maked off, "done".

But I don't yet know who the equivelent was.

So I'm a little curious here.

Do I need to hire a professional rigger to check the rigging in a
situation like this?

I mean, replacing all the standing rigging on any boat is not a trivial
matter.

Now I don't necessarily have to have new rigging on the boat I buy, but
if it needs to be replaced I need to know up front. And adjust the
price
as appropriate...

Richard

Interesting.. when I bought my boat, I used a surveyor from several
previous buying experiences who I knew would be thorough. He sent his
report at my request directly to the insurance company. They called me
and said he missed a couple of things. (He didn't actually miss them, but
did forget to write them down.) So, he resubmitted and the insurance
company was happy.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

If you intent it to find out what is wrong with a boat that you want to
purchase a proper survey is the way to go.
However, this is not a guaranty that nothing is wrong with the boat. A
surveyor is only responsible for what he or she can find with the naked
eyes and today's technology. This is good enough for the insurance
companies. More so when the surveyor tells you that the replacement or
market value is evaluated at so much that what the insurance want you to
cover your boat for the evaluated amount.

I agree. Sometimes, especially if you've worked with the surveyor
previously, you can read between the lines and find out a lot more about
your boat. Sometimes, it's just a matter of listening to him/her during the
survey. Nothing wrong with asking questions, since you're paying for it.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message

[...]

PO should be able to tell you who did the work, and you could verify with
the rigger what was done.

KLC Lewis wrote:

[...]

The operative word here is _should_.

Problem is, the PO has Passed Away...

KLC Lewis wrote:

PO should be able to tell you who did the work, and you could verify with
the rigger what was done.

The operative word here is _should_.

Problem is, the PO has Passed Away...

Oh, sorry. Have you contacted the undertaker?

KLC Lewis wrote:

PO should be able to tell you who did the work, and you could verify with
the rigger what was done.

The operative word here is _should_.

Problem is, the PO has Passed Away...

Oh, sorry. Have you contacted the undertaker?

Nope. Before my time ")

On 2007-08-14 19:03:07 -0400, cavelamb himself said:

A surveyor is only responsible for what he or she can find with the
naked eyes and today's technology. This is good enough for the
insurance companies. More so when the surveyor tells you that the
replacement or market value is evaluated at so much that what the
insurance want you to cover your boat for the evaluated amount.

Copy that/\.

This one says...

Market value $49K

Replacement Value $150K

Ours was MV of $15k, replacement $80k. Variance would be higher these
days as market value is in the $5k range now and new "replacement"
boats more expensive. At best, it makes us feel good that we didn't
waste that much money (no matter how much we spend to refit.(almost) )

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

New survey Frank Boettcher ASA 15 June 4th 06 01:44 AM
Please help with a UseNet survey Director General 0 October 22nd 05 01:17 AM
Do-it-yourself survey. How? Look for what? Tony Van Boat Building 1 August 2nd 04 02:21 AM
Ownership Question/Survey Sean Sullivan NYC General 4 December 18th 03 06:04 AM
Just a little question/survey about living aboard Tom ASA 16 November 24th 03 07:38 PM