posted to alt.sailing.asa
Frank Boettcher

Default New survey

Just back from a week in Florida and had time to reconsider direction.
Tusting that this group is not on the verge of changing to
Alt.Kiaminivan, your valued input is sought.

Original plan - 1.) Sell current house. 2.) Move to Mississippi
Gulf Coast. 3.) build house and shop on optioned lot on Biloxi Back
Bay. 4.) Start business, woodworking and marine related. 5.) buy
next sailing craft 35' plus or minus in length.

Because of the chaos and general paralaysis that continues on the
coast and because of some other issues, I've decided that this plan is
not workable in the near term, maybe not for a number of years.

Time moves on and I'm not getting any younger. So, I'm considering
staying put for a while. But I need something to sail. While in
Florida I determined that what I really should consider near term is a
very nice trailerable sailer (oxymoron?). I can haul it to the coast
and gunkhole in the areas I want to sail and when at home I can use it
on the half dozen lakes that are 1-3 hours away. I've also always
wanted to make a trip down Jamie Whittens folly (TenTom) to Mobile
Bay.

Requirements:

reasonably good sailor
accomodations for two (fairly good sports) for several days to a week
at a time
total package( boat wet with motor and trailer) less than 5000 lbs
reasonable resale

I have something in mind, but your suggestions:

Frank
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message

[...]

What about cost?

New/used?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

I have something in mind...

Frank... at the risk of stirring up a "hornet's nest" with this
group (smile)... I am going to recommend a MacGregor 26...
based on several of your comments.

The Mac is kind of a "Jack of all trades (sail versus power)...
but master of neither" type of situation. I would have enjoyed
a 30' plus trawler or sloop but ended up settling for the Mac for
various reasons having to do with my personal limitations.

For the time being... it will serve my purpose for being on the
water (lakes and/or coastal) and getting out there every now
and then... in conjuction with it's limitations.

Better than nothin.... heh heh

Best regards

Bill

posted to alt.sailing.asa
John Cairns

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
Requirements:

reasonably good sailor
accomodations for two (fairly good sports) for several days to a week
at a time
total package( boat wet with motor and trailer) less than 5000 lbs
reasonable resale

I have something in mind, but your suggestions:

Frank

I would bite the bullet for a bigger tow vehicle and get one of these:

http://www.norseayachts.com/norsea27.php

With the price of gasoline these days you can get a pretty good deal on a
used truck to tow this thing.

John Cairns

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Frank Boettcher

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 12:46:38 -0600, "Bob Crantz"
wrote:

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Let's cap it at $30K for the package, but as you might expect, the
least possible to achieve the goal

New/used?

Doesn't matter, good used would be preferable, but new not out of the
question. I don't want a basket case.

Frank

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Marc

These guys might have a good grasp of the subject.
http://www.trailersailor.com/

On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 11:09:36 -0500, Frank Boettcher

[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

wrote:

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Go with a water ballast Catalina. It's not a Mac.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
katy

John Cairns wrote:
"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
Requirements:

reasonably good sailor
accomodations for two (fairly good sports) for several days to a week
at a time
total package( boat wet with motor and trailer) less than 5000 lbs
reasonable resale

I have something in mind, but your suggestions:

Frank

I would bite the bullet for a bigger tow vehicle and get one of these:

http://www.norseayachts.com/norsea27.php

With the price of gasoline these days you can get a pretty good deal on a
used truck to tow this thing.

John Cairns

Really nice, but stepping it every weekend would be a real drag...that's
a lot of boat for a 27'....
posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Frank Boettcher wrote:
..... what I really should consider near term is a
very nice trailerable sailer (oxymoron?). I can haul it to the coast
and gunkhole in the areas I want to sail and when at home I can use it
on the half dozen lakes that are 1-3 hours away. I've also always
wanted to make a trip down Jamie Whittens folly (TenTom) to Mobile
Bay.

Requirements:

reasonably good sailor
accomodations for two (fairly good sports) for several days to a week
at a time
total package( boat wet with motor and trailer) less than 5000 lbs
reasonable resale

I have something in mind, but your suggestions:

How about a Dovekie?
(this is an old ad)
http://www.sailingtexas.com/sdovekiea.html

There is also a Dovekie big sister, a very nice 28' yawl
called the Shearwater. Both a built to a high standard by
Edey & Duff. Another boat along similar lines, a bit less
handsome to my eye but roomier & fancier, is the Sea Pearl 28.

Here's a boat very similar to one I'm considering, a bit
much for the Tenn-Tom though.
(another expired ad)
http://www.sailingtexas.com/stripp26a.html

The suggestion of a Mac 26 is also not a bad one, although I
wonder if Bill W was suggesting a Mac 26-X which is a
miserably poor sailer. The older ones sail quite well.

Here's the boat which we trailersailed in for 10 years...
never saw any boat which came close in comfort &
practicality with such a high degree of trailerability. It's
not the kind of boat that earns you bragging rights though.
http://www.sailboatowners.com/boats/...37&fno=0&bts=T

During our trailersailing years we were members of two clubs
and had the chance to either sail ourselves, or at least
sail in company with (and closely observe) most of the more
common trailersailers out there.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Frank Boettcher

wrote:

I have something in mind, but your suggestions:

Frank

Anyone every own or sail a later model Precision 23 ?